News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 19, 2024, 07:55:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Drive train removal  (Read 5226 times)

Offline Sandeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • 86 sedan 84 wagon
Drive train removal
« on: September 30, 2015, 09:56:14 AM »
Can I remove drive shaft,axels and whatever else and drop/ pull forward the whole motor,trans transfer case and front dif  and front crossmember all in one piece? I have to replace both front frame rails. Big ugly holes in both. Passenger rail has been filled with expansion foam and painted over so I can't weld anything to it without the foam catching fire. Dishonest b...tards!!

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
Re: Drive train removal
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 10:56:36 AM »
yes, dropping engine/trans assembly is actually easiest done from the bottom. You have to remove front axle assembly first however. The biggest problem is that you have to lift the car pretty high in order to do this.gz

Offline Sandeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • 86 sedan 84 wagon
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 11:30:40 AM »
Even if I have the  radiator support bumper and everything else off the front end. Basicly a rolling chassi in the front to get it preped for frame rail replacement. Talking to a shop now to get that done. They say January 1st they can get it in. Don't know how much yet but will keep the den informed. Axel assembly being the 2cv joints not the dif?

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 11:54:42 AM »
cv axles AND the diff, remember, the diff is bolted to the engine itself, radiator support is welded in, unless its toast, leave it in. you can unbolt the crossmember and suspension pieces, though, good luck, gz

Offline Sandeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • 86 sedan 84 wagon
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 12:15:38 PM »
Ok thanks for the help. What a job this is gonna be. O-well at least I'll be able to clean and paint everything.

Offline Sandeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • 86 sedan 84 wagon
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 03:37:20 PM »
I found a shop that will take the frame job!!! I think between $1500.00 and $2500.00. A brand new 1986 eagle sedan? I have to put the rambler mentality aside for a bit... After I build a kickdown linkage.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 01:55:49 AM »
Or you could plunk down $2500 plus gas a small amount of welding for the shock mounts and trailer tongue to drive mine home with it's pile of spare parts.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Sandeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • 86 sedan 84 wagon
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 08:56:49 AM »
I'm in Rhode Island so it Would be more than a little gas. Taking that step I still wouldn't be saving an eagle,if I didn't already have 2 I would.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 02:01:30 PM »
Going by 10 mpg (worst fuel economy I ever got with it in rush hour traffic bumper to bumper and a clogged airfilter) 3022 miles = 302.2 gallons and $3 a gallon (worst price right now along that corridor) it would be $1,000 in gas.

:lurk:  >:D
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 02:02:08 PM by carnuck »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Sandeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • 86 sedan 84 wagon
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 04:10:28 PM »
At that point I would have 3 in the driveway. I might as well buy the 2 parts eagles for $1000.00  that are for sale around here and start my own sanctuary. $6750.00 total

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 01:37:10 PM »
Well, at least one wouldn't be rusty!

Offline Sandeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • 86 sedan 84 wagon
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 12:56:35 PM »
If you still have the wagon in the spring I may come and get it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk