News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 12:27:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: HELP! Blew my 2nd RF inner axle joint in 2 weeks. Cracked spring maybe?  (Read 13720 times)

Offline ItsaWykydtron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
Re: HELP! Blew my 2nd RF inner axle joint in 2 weeks. Cracked spring maybe?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2019, 05:24:10 AM »
I think I was previously lower than stock due to sagging and broken springs. These are Javelin springs and I think will be like 1" lift over stock. I've seen some talk about s10 axles but it seemed like they were too long unless lifted over 2". That'd be cool if ranger axles are a little bit shorter than s10.
1985 Eagle

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2019, 09:29:18 AM »
no matter how much lift you do it won't change how far the spindle is from the differential. so a longer CV shaft is not needed this kind of lift only changes where the wheel sits in the arc of the suspension travel.

Offline ItsaWykydtron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2019, 10:03:09 AM »
Good to know. This is something I was curious about.
1985 Eagle

Offline ItsaWykydtron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2019, 12:57:34 PM »
Ok folks, anyone following along or reads this in the future...
I just received a new axle from Advance Auto online. It's sold as a Carquest axle, it came in a GSP box. Looks much better. In the picture it is the bottom one. The top one is a Rockauto Surtrack.

Also I emailed Rockauto about this problem and they said of 100 axles sold only 4 had been returned for warranty so to them it didn't seem to be a problem unfortunately.
1985 Eagle

Offline Mac

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • You drive a what?!?
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2019, 11:03:07 PM »
Hey, ItsaWykydtron!!

I'm attempting to continue your thread from the AMCForum here....
I don't think there's much traffic on that particular section of the forum...
http://theamcforum.com/forum/worn-motor-mounts-causing-in-cv-joint-destruction_topic98432.html

(I remembered my Eaglesden Logon!!  :))

Can you confirm for me that the Advance Auto axle you received is a GSP NCV82001??

And that it's dimensionally the same as your original axles??

I'm returning the reman'd axles I got from Rock Auto because they seem to have the
same dimension issue as the Suretrack ones you originally got...
I'm taking a major $$$ hit for that, but I can't risk having my daily driver's axles exploding on my commute
to work!!! 

When you mentioned the axle you got was labeled CARQUEST, I got excited and called a local CARQUEST store here!!   They said it was a good part number, but none of their warehouses have any stock!
I went to Advance Auto's website and they don't show any available either!!!
Did you buy the last one available in the whole world??   LOL!!

Thanks!

Mac.

Offline ItsaWykydtron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2019, 05:49:18 AM »
In my half asleep state I clicked on the link in my email to go to the other forum and was thoroughly confused for a few minutes lol.

Wow man you are really having a rough go of it! I can confirm your part number is correct. I just went on Advance Autos website and it looks like I did buy the last one they had.

I still haven't driven mine to give a full testimonial, I have one more leaf spring and a gas tank to do.

2 options I can think of, start a new post here looking for availability or possibly a member has 2 good used axles to sell you.

Also in the time being you could always remove your axles and take the outer joint apart to just use it as a stub axle to hold your wheel bearings together. Unless youre full time 4x4 I guess.
1985 Eagle

Offline Mac

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • You drive a what?!?
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2019, 06:34:30 PM »
Hah!   Sorry about that!!   I guess I could have worded it better!!

Rereading it, it does look like what you thought!! 

I do have one stub axle already that I used on a previous Eagle, and I have a really
ratty old core axle that I found in the corner of the garage that I'll knock apart to
get one more!

Hope we're done with the snow for the year, because it looks like I'll be in 2wd for a bit!!

Thanks for confirming the part number for me!

Offline ItsaWykydtron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2019, 07:23:05 PM »
No worries it was amusing. Good luck finding some axles and avoiding the snow!
1985 Eagle

Offline Mac

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • You drive a what?!?
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2019, 09:23:38 PM »
The only place I could find viable CV shafts was eBay!
Paid way too much, but they're on their way!

The old CV shafts are out, and the car is now a Spirit again!!    ;)

Sadly, it wasn't the CV's that were noisy, it's the hub bearings!!!
Crap!!  Not looking forward to that repair!!!   :P

Offline ItsaWykydtron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2019, 09:52:24 PM »
Ahhhhh crap! I just did one of my wheel bearings. It wasn't too bad. My car is still not back on the road. Struggling with bleeding the brakes and then I need an alignment. So close.
1985 Eagle

Offline xtcinoz

• XTCINOZ - Life is good
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • A M C -ALWAYS MY CHOICE
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2019, 04:18:28 PM »
I had a big problem with front axles breaking and after rebuilding the frontend discovered that my engine mounts were warn and 1 had only 2 out 5 bolts still holding. I know it sounds crazy but I have had no problems since replacing them. Mine also broke right after accelerating. Good Luck!
68 Rambler Ambassador, 77 Hornet AMX, 70 Hornet 4dr sedan, gone but not forgotten. 83 AMC Eagle Sport Wagon making this my DD , just add 89 Jeep Comanche Sport 4cyl fi beater. 76 Chevy HvyDuty 1/2, 75 Chevy Camero (project or 4 sale) undecided.

Offline xtcinoz

• XTCINOZ - Life is good
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • A M C -ALWAYS MY CHOICE
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2019, 04:21:32 PM »
AutoZone has half shafts with lifetime warranty for about  $80.00.
68 Rambler Ambassador, 77 Hornet AMX, 70 Hornet 4dr sedan, gone but not forgotten. 83 AMC Eagle Sport Wagon making this my DD , just add 89 Jeep Comanche Sport 4cyl fi beater. 76 Chevy HvyDuty 1/2, 75 Chevy Camero (project or 4 sale) undecided.

Offline ItsaWykydtron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2019, 05:11:51 PM »
I'm curious if you have any idea about inner joint length of the AutoZone axles compared to what I posted pictures of?

I drove my car for the first time last night. All good! I probably won't try 4x4 until my motor mounts are replaced, but I'm pretty confident mine are still ok.

What happened to you makes sense but it's still pretty crazy.
1985 Eagle

Offline Mac

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • You drive a what?!?
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2019, 11:17:37 PM »
It makes sense to me that worn or loose engine mounts could tweak the front axle around and
possibly over-extend a CV shaft!
But yeah, I suspect they'd probably have to be pretty darn whipped for that to happen!!

I think most of the issues people are having stem from these aftermarket halfshafts that have
a dimensionally shorter inner casting!

I've been on vacation for the last week, so I haven't even seen the new GSP shafts that should be
sitting at work waiting for me!!
I hope they measure up to the ones ItsaWykydtron got!!

Suppose I still have to deal with the noisy hub bearings first, though....
I already rebuilt one hub a few years ago, but it sure sounds like they're BOTH noisy!  :(

Offline Mac

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • You drive a what?!?
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2019, 09:59:28 PM »
Sheesh!!!

Opened up my new GSP axle boxes today and the identical boxes with identical part numbers
have different length axles in them!!!

WTF?!?   How is it so difficult to get correct parts?!?

Looks like I'm return shipping over the border again!!!   Son of a!!!!   >:(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk