News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 19, 2024, 04:15:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Missing parts from my hub assembly  (Read 2833 times)

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
Missing parts from my hub assembly
« on: September 30, 2017, 05:54:33 PM »
After a long series of problems with my driver's side front wheel bearings, I have decided to break it down myself and try to find a machine shop to press new bearings in for me.  I have been using  Draekon's excellent post (http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=43620.msg339617#msg339617 as a guide.

One of my problems seems to be that I am missing a couple of parts: the 'axle shaft-to-bearing spacer' and the 'axle shaft dust slinger'.  There are items 18(d) and 19 in the illustration below, taken from the Eaglepedia:

I believe the parts were lost by the last shop I trusted to replace the wheel bearings.  Perhaps their absence left some free play in the hub assembly that destroyed the newly-replaced wheel bearings?  I don't know.  But I know I want to include them when I put everything back together again.

Does anyone know where I could get these two parts (other than from another Eagle)?  The pictures are pretty crude, but the spacer looks like some kind of split ring, and the dust-slinger like a fat washer with lip on the inside.  Any information anyone has on these two parts would be much appreciated...

Thanks,
JB
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
Re: Missing parts from my hub assembly
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 09:48:38 PM »
I don't recall those c-clip spacers when I did mine. The slingers are called deflector in other parts of EPedia. Part # changes slightly as well. Old # is 323 8217 , new # is J3238 217 . Cant understand why they do stuff like that . Now where do you find them ??????
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 09:51:02 PM »
The slinger may be still stuck to the outer CV joint.  Look there before you assume its lost.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 10:47:07 PM »
Nah, that was the first place I looked.  I also checked the driveway where I did the removal, just in case.

I'm never THAT lucky...

JB
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk