News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 21, 2024, 01:30:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is there a suspension / steering / bushing rebuilt kit?  (Read 6545 times)

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
Is there a suspension / steering / bushing rebuilt kit?
« on: April 10, 2015, 09:02:52 AM »
My car drives like a soup sandwich (although the new shocks have helped a tonne). I hear popping from the ball joints, the steering is loose, and I'd like to refresh the front.

Is there a "kit" to buy that would be everything I would need? I see there are lists on the boards here and I imagine that I'll end up having to go buy each part separately...but man...it would be great to find a kit.

On a site note, how much would it cost to replace the crap up front? Anything I should keep my eyes open for?

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
Re: Is there a suspension / steering / bushing rebuilt kit?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 10:42:47 AM »
Probably try to build my own kit from Rock Auto.

Suggestions on what I need or should get at the very least?

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 11:20:20 AM »
I've been buying all the parts over the last year for mine slowly. So far this is my list:

Part:                                              QTY: Part Number
Outer Tie Rod Ends                    2    ES2106RL  (MOOG)
Inner Tie Rod Ends                     2    ES2107RL  (MOOG)
Upper Ball Joint                          2    K3082  (MOOG)
Lower Ball Joint                           2    K3153   (MOOG)
Lower Control Arm Bushings    2    K3113  (MOOG)
Upper Control Arm Bushings    2    K3096   (MOOG)
Control Arm Bumper                  2    K3180   (MOOG)
Sway Bar Endlinks                  2    K3124  (MOOG)
Sway Bar Frame Bushings          1    K3110  (MOOG)
Strut Rod Bushings                     1    K3090  (MOOG)
Adjusting Sleeves                       2    ES2032S  (MOOG)
Idler Arm                                      1         K3109 (MOOG) - Still need to order
Pitman Arm                                  1        K3055 (MOOG) - Still need to order

83 Eagle Wagon

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 11:52:59 AM »
Looks like I'd have to buy slowly, like you're doing. Shipping to Canuckistan is frigging expensive...

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 12:50:55 PM »
I would look for parts in Canadian stores, compare their shipping costs, etc...Watch for the big autoparts stores having online coupons that mention free shipping. I've also been getting new parts for the rear springs and just got my 4th shock in. Fortunately, I don't have any issues yet.. but just being prepared.
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 11:12:18 PM »
Awesome! Looking at redoing my front in while I have it all apart. Thanks for the list!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 08:37:30 AM »
I think I'll start by getting the parts I know are bad. Pitman arm might be, I know I have a bad ball joint or 2 as well. And my steering stabilizer.

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 01:53:59 PM »
I think I'll start by getting the parts I know are bad. Pitman arm might be, I know I have a bad ball joint or 2 as well. And my steering stabilizer.

Moog makes a Steering stabilizer too. I opted for the Monroe one though. Surprisingly enough, my 83 still has all the OEM front end parts. All the ball joints are still riveted in. That's why I've been acquiring all these parts. Going to replace it all in one shot.
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 11:38:57 AM »
Idler arm seems to be the worst point of wear on these rigs. I recently ran into the issue of a seized spring mount pivot.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 11:40:17 AM by carnuck »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 01:21:11 PM »
I was taking a look at the bushings in the rear, thought it might be an idea to replace all that as well.

Rear Lower      K8785 (Moog)
Rear Upper      K3194 (Moog)
Rear Foward      45G15351 (ACDelco)

I'm looking for alternates to the shackle, and possibly the rear forward bushing as well (can't find a good price on on in Canada yet). Would Jeep CJ bushings work?

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 11:07:12 AM »
Don't forget coil spring perch bushings and rubber/polyurethane isolators up top (with lots of grease). I found a seller on ebay that put together a kit for AMC spring perches where you can use your stock mounting pin and replace only the bushings. It worked great in mine, though I only have one side done.

The upper control arm bushings will make a big difference too, but be very careful not to bend the arms if you do it yourself. Mine were so rusted that the bushing press bent the arm and left me searching for a new upper arm (nearly impossible to find).
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk