News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 17, 2024, 01:13:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Things don't seem to be going back together to well  (Read 7079 times)

Offline trout

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
Things don't seem to be going back together to well
« on: March 06, 2013, 11:54:27 PM »
Stripped the entire front suspension off and I've been putting it all back together with new components.

Everything was going great until it came time to put in the new spring. It seems that it's too tall. I ordered it from Espo, stock height for the I6 w/ A/C. Compared to the old it seems they have an extra 1/2 coil but overall height of the springs is only about 1/4"-1/2" more so I didn't think anything of it especially when I considered I was comparing them to a set that was 29 years old.

However now that they're installed, it seems they're so long that I can't leave my strut rod connected. From the bottom of the spring cup to the spring perch measures 11", compared to my parts car it was 9".

Is this normal? Will this settle? Right now I'm hoping that once I put it back down on the ground that it will settle but I tried putting some pressure on the LCA w/ a jack and there was no change. Just hoping for some advice before I continue.  TIA.

Here are some pics in case they help.

1984 AMC Eagle Wagon w/ 1988 258 and front axle, 727/NP-229 combo, Hurst shifter + twin sticks, and power bulge hood.

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: Things don't seem to be going back together to well
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 12:30:32 AM »
IMHO, you really can't tell until you get the whole car's weight back down on them.   But they "look" normal installed to me.   

Btw, you may have your MOOG strut rod bushings on backwards.   One will be stamped on the washer "this side to front" (meaning facing the front of the car) or similar verbiage.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 11:36:04 AM »
Looks perfect. The springs are considerably longer without any weight on them. They will also settle considerably in the first year and then steadily from there.
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline jim

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 01:18:52 PM »
Others of us had the same experience with those ESPO springs.  They raised my 88 a couple of inchs (estimated) and after a few years and several thousand miles they haven't settled.  They also haven't caused any problems that I'm aware of.  The lift they provide is apparently within the limits the half shaft can tolerate, at least on my wagon.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 04:52:44 PM »
Others of us had the same experience with those ESPO springs.  They raised my 88 a couple of inchs (estimated) and after a few years and several thousand miles they haven't settled.  They also haven't caused any problems that I'm aware of.  The lift they provide is apparently within the limits the half shaft can tolerate, at least on my wagon.

Ditto. The springs ESPO sells aren't true replacements for Eagles, they are actually for earlier AMC's like the Javelin. I'm not aware of anyone that makes an actual replacement spring for the Eagle.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 07:24:29 PM »

Ditto. The springs ESPO sells aren't true replacements for Eagles, they are actually for earlier AMC's like the Javelin. I'm not aware of anyone that makes an actual replacement spring for the Eagle.
Specialty Spring here in Kansas can make them for a fair price.
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline trout

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 11:05:33 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

AMC of Houston, you were correct about the bushings, I had just google searched pictures and apparently picked a bad one, they are switched around now.

however I can't seem to get them lined up in the bracket to tighten them down now.

will it be okay to set the vehicle down on the ground w/o the strut rods attached?

1984 AMC Eagle Wagon w/ 1988 258 and front axle, 727/NP-229 combo, Hurst shifter + twin sticks, and power bulge hood.

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 11:23:27 PM »
Rather than put the weight of the car on the suspension without the strut rods I suggest the following:

1. Use the spring compressor to compress the springs.
2. Then put a block between the upper A-arm and the frame. You can cut a 2x4 to fit in there, but use a hardwood block as the suspension will splinter a pine or spruce board like it isn't there.
3. Now release the spring compressor and you should be able to safely assemble the rest of the suspension.

I'm concerned about putting the weight of the car on the suspension without the strut rods. There's nothing other than the single bushing at the inside pivot holding the lower arm. If you have no other way you must block the wheels to keep the lower arm from kicking out.:eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline trout

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 12:42:33 AM »
thanks I'll give it a try that way first.

So I've been doing my own research, just gonna put my rambling thoughts out there.

It seems the Espo springs are or were just Moog springs at one point?
The Espo part #s listed in the eaglepedia and over on the amc forum are Moog part #s:
http://www.fme-cat.com/PartDetailWindow.aspx?brand=MC&pt=Coil%20Spring%20Set&PartNumber=3156#.UTrECXG7Ics
And # 3156 is for the Concord Wagon w/ 4.2L and A/C.
I don't think Moog would list a part with a vehicle just because it's close enough, but I also notice they don't cross list it with the Eagle. Not sure what to think there. Tomorrow when I get a chance I'll measure the uninstalled spring to see if it matches the dimensions listed.

However I see now they are indeed 2" too big as the unladen install height should be 9.5" (I measured again properly and my parts car matched) compared to the 11.5" with the Espo springs.

I'd really like to have a new set of springs to go with my new everything else so I'll keep them for now.
Looking forward if I experience the same height issues and it's more than I like, it seems I'm at least lucky it's a straight rate spring with a tangential end. So it can be cut safely if done properly. Anyone ever try this? It'll probably be my likely path unless the spring rate is too much.

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 08:57:14 AM »
Been meaning to post this incase anyone needed springs coilsprings.com location shops around here recommend. They are here in Kansas and the more information you have easier they can make springs. They do all sorts. They even was going to do my Kammy. But I ran into the rust.
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 11:21:37 AM »
I went through the Moog catalog for the Pacer front springs. I had to poke around a bit to find it, but they have a listing of rate, length, etc. on their website. If you go through the list you can see what the numbers mean and pick a different spring if you want.

You can also cut one coil off. It lowers the height and stiffens the coil just a bit. (Think of it as a big lever wrapped around itself. The shorter the lever the less deflection possible.)
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline EAGLER

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 06:00:47 PM »
front shocks are missing they also keep the spring compressed up so you can have clearance enough to install the strut rod.
because nobody grows up knowing all

Offline trout

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 07:12:19 PM »
I'm afraid the spring might pull the shock apart. Plus I wouldn't have been able to get those in either, the suspension had dropped so far that top of the shock wouldn't clear the top of spring let alone the upper shock mount.

I compressed the spring again just to get the strut rod in with the bushings oriented the right way and left a block of wood under the upper control arm so it wouldn't drop so far that I couldn't attach the shock and got that in. Thing is now the block of wood is stuck in there.

I measured the springs side by side. Over all diameter was the same, and while the overall length was the same the new ones have exactly 1/2 a coil more.  The stock used to make the new springs is also thicker by about .02". And it also feels heavier so it might also be a stronger metal. When pressing down on them the original springs are much softer. Unfortunately I do not have a scale I can (ab)use to check out just how much they are off and I have no way of knowing if that's just from the age.

Just going by the measurements my stock springs more closely matched part # 3140, the recommend springs for a 4-cyl w/o a/c. I'll wait till the drive train is installed and it's back down on the ground before getting some to try out.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 07:43:23 PM »
I've got the springs you installed on mine and even have a spacer to get a little more lift and didn't have much trouble getting the shock installed. I think you are on the right track with needing the weight of the drive train in there. But if you don't want any extra lift, this might be the best time to go with different springs.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline trout

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 11:28:46 PM »
yup, while working on it tonight I decided to just pull the one new spring I did install out and put the originals back in for now. I'm gonna call Espo up tomorrow and see if I can exchange them for the softer ones.  don't want to add any height and I definitely don't want a stiffer than stock ride.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk