News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 02, 2024, 10:49:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: High Pitch Noise near firewall  (Read 2669 times)

00-711

High Pitch Noise near firewall
« on: June 10, 2012, 10:39:03 AM »
Hello,
           I've started to get a high pitch noise after I've been driving awhile. It sounds like air coming out of a small opening. The pitch of the noise rises and falls as I depress and let off the gas. The noise will go away if the car idles. Sounds like its coming from inside the engine compartment near the firewall in front of the steering wheel. It's been doing this for over a year. No real other issues except the noise is annoying! It's very bad when driving on the highway.

Thanks,
00-711

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: High Pitch Noise near firewall
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 12:27:27 PM »
Or the lines running behind the head to the tcase? Mine were cracked there. Bad brake booster could do it too. Pull the hoses off one at a time and see if the noise goes away.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Re: High Pitch Noise near firewall
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 11:55:05 AM »
There's both the 4wd switch and the heater unit under the dash that have vacuum lines. Plus if you've had backfires they tend to pop the vacuum lines off of the accessory fitting at the back of the intake manifold, and that is just on the other side of the firewall from the driver. It can be quite noticeable.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk