News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 17, 2024, 10:39:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Seized brake piston  (Read 6660 times)

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
  • If it can happen, it will happen to me.
Seized brake piston
« on: March 27, 2012, 03:57:25 PM »
Tearing into the front wheel assembly on the SX/4 to do what we thought would be a wheel bearing replacement, noticed that the front brake was seized (not to mention they need replaced anyways). Removed the caliper and then the old brake pads. The piston is seized up and will not retract. It retracts if you push on it but only 1 side or the other (not the whole thing at once). And when you do push on it, it sprays out brake fluid.
We are going to take it off, clean it and see if it needs new seals or needs to be replaced.

But worse case scenario, I have a few questions...

- Anyone have parts numbers? Or in case my local parts stores say "No" to having these parts for Eagles is there another vehicle that interchanges?

Also, for some reason I thought I had a socket big enough for the axle nut... boy was I wrong lol.
- What size socket fits the axle nut?

Will keep posting here during our brake detour if problems or questions arise.
Any kind of help is appreciated.
Lurker & unintentional thread killer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
Yes, I stand before you now, naked, unhidden, uncamouflaged and unafraid.
As pure and true as a human being is able to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Seized brake piston
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 04:21:07 PM »
Axle nut is technically a mm of some size i forget what,butt 1 3/8 works. buy a new caliper and save the grief it is available at any parts store.

Manitowoc WI

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 05:29:41 PM »
 :idea: Doh!
Didn't think they would have the whole caliper but went ahead and called a few places. They all did sorta, has to be ordered and shipped in.
But got new ones on the way and since they were cheap enough went ahead and got both driver and passenger side. Now just have to wait.
I believe this might be the culprit instead of a bad bearing. But we'll see.
Thanks MK for knocking some sense into me. I tend to over-think and complicate things beyond reason.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 05:59:27 PM »
My favorite saying is i know nothing.

your welcome

Manitowoc WI

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 06:15:07 PM »
yes I would second that - just get new calipers , rotors aren't that expensive either.
I have rebuilt the ones on my 68 AMX, they are 4 piston style and pretty much unobtanium !! You can buy rebuilts , but with a core charge etc., I think they were close to $300 each. I got the rebuild kit From Kennedy American for I think under $75 for both sides.
I bought a small wheel cylinder hone and used that on the piston recess in the caliper.Still wokring after 8 years.
Good luck MudPuppy. 

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 08:28:26 PM »
the socket for the axle is 36mm deep well. but get one that is intended for an impact wrench as they are much stronger than normal sockets.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline standup650

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • Never thought i'd have one but know i always will!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 09:09:32 PM »
also your rubber brake lines can break down and plug up and sometime act like a oneway valve. if original maybe worth unhooking and see what blows out.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 04:26:08 AM »
Looks for signs of cracking in the brake hoses by flexing them. The life you save....
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 08:17:46 PM »
Brake lines look good.
Got the calipers in today. Got the driver side (the one with the problem) hooked up but the piston would only extend but it will not retract  ???  still.
We unhooked the brake line and put that end in a cup of brake fluid and pumped the pedal to see if it would suck any fluid up into it- it did suck slightly, not nearly as much as was coming out.  ???

Is it the brake line?
Or does this sound like a Master Cylinder issue?
Or?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 08:20:07 PM by MudPuppy »

Offline standup650

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • Never thought i'd have one but know i always will!
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 09:31:07 PM »
I cant say for sure but i have had lines that looked good on the outside but on the inside the rubber was breaking down and they did what is happening to you. How old are they? if you dont know change them.

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 07:23:55 AM »
I don't think they retract all the way back at all.If you look at one that is on the car normally, the pads sit right against the rotor when the brake is off anyways.All it does is release pressure to the pads when your foot is off the brake.That is why when you put new pads on you have to remove the master cylinder cover and use a special tool or a c clamp and an old pad to compress the piston back in to allow for the greater thickness of new pads compared to the old worn ones.......just my thought and how it has worked when I have replaced them on any car that has had disc brakes........

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 12:22:08 PM »
I would replace the rubber lines just to be on the safe side cause i have seen where the lines look fine on the outside but have really gone to heck on the inside and swelled near shut
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 12:56:36 PM »
I guess I will go ahead and order the brake lines, like y'all are saying it can't hurt.  I just hate that no store here has the parts in stock, so they have to be ordered. And I have to wait days for them to arrive.
I hope the steel part of the brake line, the 3 way piece and the brake booster are good.

68AMXGOPAC- I looked into what you said and that is correct. It makes sense, yet another "duh" moment for me.

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 01:03:02 PM »
while your there ordering the front rubber lines might not hurt any to get the rear line as well so that you have it on hand when it is time to tackle those rear brakes
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 01:39:12 PM »
Yea, might as well.

Oh, almost forgot... when we hooked up the old brake line to the new caliper and applied the brakes it would squirt out fluid near the connection of the 2. We have the washers installed but it still squirts fluid when brakes are being applied. We have the connection pretty tight too.
What would be causing this?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk