News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 14, 2024, 05:16:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Anybody find any good seat covers?  (Read 5217 times)

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
Anybody find any good seat covers?
« on: December 04, 2011, 12:29:18 AM »
This is the first car I've owned with vinyl seats.  I'm surprised to be saying that I hate them even more than the black leather seats that were in my GTS, and I still swear black leather seats were created by Lucifer himself.  Sliding all over the place, my sweatin' butt sticking to them in the heat, and shivering in the cold.  Ugh.

But stepping off my soapbox.  Has anybody found seat covers that fit the stock wagon/sedan seats well?  The aftermarket bucket seat covers i'm seeing look like they're intended for taller seats with separate head rests, not the low back seats with inset head rests like the Eagle seats are.  I don't care if they're just the cheap-o pull over covers or proper covers that require stripping the seats down to the foam, I just want something that's more comfortable.  Back seats are negligible, my passengers can suffer.  I only care about myself at this point lol.

Hopefully there's a cover out there that works half decent with the Eagle seats, otherwise I'll probably resort to choppin in some cloth seats out of something else in the junkyard.  I remember the cloth bucket seats in my dad's 92 Explorer being the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in.  I'm still leaning towards that anyways, I don't think AMC put a lot of thought into the comfort of these seats.  I hate to say it, but I have a set of seats I tore out of my 84 CRX race car and with 200k on them they're still far more comfortable than these crafts of satan that are in Virginia.  I hate to say that, I'm one of the most anti-foreign car people you'll ever meet.  I bought that car for $100 just to destroy it.  Still, if they weren't charcoal gray instead of tan they'd probably already be installed in the Eagle.  And I can even reach the tilt lever without unbuckling the seatbelt and leaning to the side on the Honda seats.  Seriously, who at AMC thought putting the tilt lever 10 inches up the side of the seat was a good idea?  The engineers must have had a bit of a drug problem.  But I digress.  If anybody has suggestions on how to perform an exorcism on these stock seats, let me know.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 12:31:42 AM by WoodenBirdOfPrey »
87 Eagle Woody Wagon "Virginia" 4.2 Auto 174k

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
Re: Anybody find any good seat covers?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 06:20:34 AM »
I contacted a guy up in Canada who had an ad on auction for true replacement upholstery. Front and rear for $250. It was extra for the head rests and I did not get that far. He sent me some fabric samples after he assured me that he had the proper patterns. He will make them to order. I was going to replace my tan and plaid covers but after getting several ear fulls about what good condition they were in I decided not to go ahead. If you are interested just PM me and I can give you the info. I don't have permission to go posting it on the internet.

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 08:54:05 AM »
Find a good local upholstery guy and see what they can do for you.  They can probably put some cloth inserts on the parts that touch your body and you'll be all set.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 11:58:57 AM »
There used to be seat covers made of material that resembled a saddle blanket for a horse. I had such a cover on the seat of an old pickup truck that was still in good shape when I sold the truck after some 15 years. The cover even had a pocket across the entire width for a rifle or shotgun. They were available for bucket seats as well, but without the rifle pocket. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find them. The store where I used to purchase these covers is still in business but current employees have no idea what I'm talking about. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline xtcinoz

• XTCINOZ - Life is good
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • A M C -ALWAYS MY CHOICE
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 04:10:39 PM »
I found some that look like a hoodie sweatshirt from Auto Zone for $10 each. They fit pretty good. You also might try Sears I think they have some that will fit.
68 Rambler Ambassador, 77 Hornet AMX, 70 Hornet 4dr sedan, gone but not forgotten. 83 AMC Eagle Sport Wagon making this my DD , just add 89 Jeep Comanche Sport 4cyl fi beater. 76 Chevy HvyDuty 1/2, 75 Chevy Camero (project or 4 sale) undecided.

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 03:03:08 AM »
Seat covers are tugh to find for these...atleast ones that look descent. These seats are so wide.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 06:30:56 PM »
The blue SX/4 project car I have has some seat covers that are supposedly from JC Whitney, but I don't know for sure. I 'll have some pics of them soon.

Yall might try giving these guys a call and ask em - http://www.customseatcovers.com/covers/covers.htm
I have no personal experience with them, but their website reads a lot like a good place to start.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk