News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 20, 2024, 06:21:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pulls to the left during braking  (Read 7244 times)

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
Pulls to the left during braking
« on: December 03, 2011, 05:05:48 PM »
So I got my strut rod bushings replaced, hoping that would finally solve my issue.  It doesn't seem to do it all the time, but when I brake especially going downhill, the car seems to pull to the left side.  The harder I brake, the harder it pulls.  The tires, brake pads, hoses, and rotors are new so there shouldn't be any inconsistencies with that.

What's the next thing to check?  Everything else under the front end seemed to be fairly tight, the only thing I noticed any movement in is the ball end of the pitman arm and it's not much at all.
87 Eagle Woody Wagon "Virginia" 4.2 Auto 174k

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
Re: Pulls to the left during braking
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 06:40:29 PM »
Did you bleed the right front caliper?

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 06:48:41 PM »
Yeah, everything was bled using a vacuum bleeder.  I used most of a 1 quart bottle making sure everything was bled and flushed out.

Additionally, the problem existed before I did the brake work.  I did the brake work first because I knew it needed to be done, and I initially thought maybe the passenger side caliper was seized up.

If I slam on the brakes hard enough to lock up the tires it seems that both sides lock up at the same time, judging by the skid marks.

Maybe I need to jack it up and go over the front end again.  I'm suspicious of the ball joints, I know the lower ones are originals because they're riveted to the control arms.  They didn't have any obvious play in them when I grabbed the wheel and shook it though.

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 07:04:01 PM »
sounds like they need help anyway but you could also check the right line for any kinks that may be restricting flow. The whole front suspension can be bought as a kit for around $200-$300 if you want the springs to from ESPO or springs and things and if you have original equipment still on there than that can't be good, especially if you or someone you love will be in the car. I don't if the rotors look even or not.

Offline Jurjen

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 07:20:27 PM »
Did you check the sliders on the calipers? You should be able to move the calipers by hand from left to right (without the pads).
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 07:38:34 PM »
Yeah, the sliders seemed to be working pretty smoothly.

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 10:42:29 PM »
 Make sure to check all suspension components.  Also go to a flat place and check ride height.  If the vehicle is sagging drooping etc it can cause alignment changes when the front end dips under braking. 
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline Bird-o-Prey

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 10:59:51 PM »
Are your rear shoes in good condition?  Also, are they adjusted properly?  If one of the rear shoes has slack in it, the other side of the car will brake harder.  Make sure that all 4 of your brakes are in order.  I had a pull to the left while braking as well.  Last week I replaced the front pads and lubed and cleaned everything up front up.  Still had the pull.  couple of days ago, I did the rears and adjusted the slack so both rear wheels had the same amount of drag when moved by hand.  Put it back on the ground and did 10 hard stops in reverse to fully set the automatic adjusters and no more pull when braking. 

Worked for my situation because I had to replace both calipers a couple of years ago, so I knew they were new.  I also rebuilt my rear wheel cylinders at the same time I did the fronts.

Worth a try.

Cheers
No matter how bad YOU think it is ... it could always be WORSE!!

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 11:29:28 PM »
At this point the rears are in unknown condition to me.  I have a very detailed maintenance log from the previous owner though, and it says at 131k the rear wheel cylinders were replaced and the shoes were at 60%.  The time before the car was at 119k and they were at 90%.  Doing the math, at 40k miles later, they're probably due for replacement.  I've been avoiding that because I don't get along well with drum brakes.  Any drum brake I touch is destined to never work properly again.

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 01:29:08 AM »
just a thought. what about control arm bushings? they can allow a little deflection to make the tire tip outwards uppon braking. (62 rambler classic had this problem) also, have you made sure the control arms arent bent, and strut rod also? dont forget to check the strut rod mounting bracket. they can bend.

Other than a quick visual inspection of those things, I can't say much about their condition.  If any of the aforementioned things are slightly bent or worn, how would I know?  There doesn't seem to be much for specs on them.

Alcology

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 10:31:37 PM »
Definitely check the rear brakes, more often than not, a change in steering is due to uneven brake pressure

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 11:48:33 PM »
Could the opposite caliper be stuck OR maybe even a different size piston?
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 01:11:46 PM »
I don't think that would be possible. I replaced the pads and rotors and everything seems to be wearing evenly. The back brakes are unknown though, and i absolutely hate working on drum brakes so i'm really not thrilled about trying to get that mess apart.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 01:12:04 AM »
Just pop them open and dump the dust (carefully)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 12:00:43 PM »
The trouble i always had (with gm's) has been getting them adjusted properly and getting everything to go back together without dragging.  I don't know how AMC's drums are set up, maybe i'll have better luck.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 12:24:06 PM »
I wish my old posts from the AMC-list (back in '97 or so) on drum brakes hadn't got the nuke (thanks to a careless "tech support" at Webtv that deemed I had too much email at only 10% max volume and nuked the works without even asking. Lost her job over that one too)
   Maybe one day I'll get around to rewriting it (I've been working on cars since just before discs came out and they were voodoo back then)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk