News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 21, 2024, 03:18:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Coil spring replacement for lift?  (Read 6581 times)

Offline cgi2099

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Coil spring replacement for lift?
« on: November 28, 2011, 03:31:52 PM »
I have an 1986 Eagle 4x4 with a I6-258.

Is there a replacement coil spring for these eagles that lift the front 2 - 2.5 inches? Or is there a spring that i can use from another vehicle to do this. I work at an autoparts store so availability isn't a problem. What is the largest tire i can put on with the 2.5 lift?

Also i have another problem that someone might be able to tell me what part to replace. When i hit a bump the front in squeaks terribly bad, ive sprayed all the moving parts (i think anyways) with WD40 but still the squeak continues, what might be the problem? It doesn't it on both sides in the front, I thought it was the control arm bushings but i soaked them with WD40 and it still continues.

Thank You,
Josh

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
Re: Coil spring replacement for lift?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 12:33:29 AM »
There are only two different coil thicknesses available. Eagles used the thinner coil springs. A 1970 Javelin will have a thicker spring. Then there are very slight, arguably negligible, differences in spring length that account for slight differences in weight. That's in contrast to other companies who would vary spring rate, AMC only changed spring length. Cruising through Rockauto you won't see springs listed, since technically Eagle springs arn't sold. This is because the factory used slightly different springs on each side to account for the engine offset.

1970 Javelin Springs will likely put your station wagon just as high as you want it. Eagles can actually accept any size tire if you are willing to modify the fender opening or make a minor cut to the rocker panel. With the fender off the tire doesn't come any where near the frame even with 33x12.5 tires.

I personally use 235/75 R15 tires on all my Eagles. My Red SX4 in this picture has those tires, although I don't have a picture from before when the plastic fender flares were on it. It looked alot better then. The fender flares don't need any external modifications, they just need their 4 inch depth inside the wheelwell to be narrowed to about an inch. A formal lift wasn't at all necessary, in this picture the rear springs are replaced and stiffened but still the original height and the front springs have yet to be replaced.

There is a projection of the rocker panel that needs to be trimmed back, but it is a minor cut. With the fender on you just continue the curve of the fender down through the rocker panel. The part that gets trimmed is then only about an inch of rocker panel, and that inch doesn't effect the strength of the rocker panel or even open a sizeable hole in the end. The second picture shows this projection's odd shape and it should be obvious that cutting it back doesn't effect much.

Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 01:41:11 PM »
I bought a set of '77 Hornet or Concord wagon front springs with V8 and AC to try in my '82 wagon.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline standup650

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • Never thought i'd have one but know i always will!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 11:20:21 AM »
I bought a set of '77 Hornet or Concord wagon front springs with V8 and AC to try in my '82 wagon.
Did you try them yet? Do they work?

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 11:35:17 AM »
Still haven't finished putting my trans in. Waiting for NP229 I'm getting tuesday to do that. Getting ready for next sunday's HUGE swap meet in Puyallup too.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline standup650

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 11:44:41 AM »
aw. well please keep us posted. Thanks

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 12:20:22 PM »
I'm still recuperating from having all my teeth pulled, so I'm moving a bit slow.

Offline standup650

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 01:49:44 PM »
Holy  :censored: ! well I wish you a speedy recovery!

Offline bigdog56e

• Thumbs Up 65
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 03:09:28 PM »
  I used stock springs listed for my '82 Eagle with air, lifted it about two inches. Bought them from ESPO.

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 03:30:57 PM »
I think that anecdotely we've determined that the espo springs are the thicker wire springs ala Javelin. I have a set if jav springs  to goin soon as i find time, they are a moog part 3156 iirc which is slightly taller v8 with air version so i can trim with cutoff wheel to get level if required...

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 03:32:21 AM »
Does the AMC Eagle suspension system interchange with everything from a Grand Wagoneer?
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 10:07:01 AM »
no, different animal

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 02:54:40 PM »
AMC front suspension is similar to FWD '80s Caddy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk