News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 06, 2024, 08:48:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Freeze out plug replacement  (Read 2990 times)

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
  • Ohh look, its an angry Eagle.
    • old betsy
Freeze out plug replacement
« on: September 07, 2011, 10:42:34 PM »
I found my coolant leak today, Looks like the freeze out plug is leaking. I have never done one of these before so any advice would be much appreciated.
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Freeze out plug replacement
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 02:48:45 AM »
Its a peice of tin that is pressed in. Same as almost any motor.

Manitowoc WI

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
  • Ohh look, its an angry Eagle.
    • old betsy
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 08:07:58 PM »
awsome
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 09:44:44 PM »
there is a universal rubber freeze plug you can use with a bolt to expand it, while good in theory I have never had any luck with them
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 12:50:34 AM »
I replaced the freeze plugs on the engine i am in the process of rebuilding. I like the looks of the brass ones but the tin ones work fine. Once the old one is popped out the new one is easily tapped back in just make sure its in perfectly flush...if its in a little crooked it will likely eleak.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk