News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 15, 2024, 12:47:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 4WD vacuum boots keep breaking, need better soloution  (Read 4793 times)

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
4WD vacuum boots keep breaking, need better soloution
« on: January 10, 2014, 11:17:10 AM »
Been having a heck of a time with the vacuum boots for the 4WD cracking in the cold. The factory one lasted 30 years and I've gone thru a whole pack in less than 30 days! Seems like every time it drops down below 15*F the boot just cracks right down the side as if you slit it with a knife.

Anybody have a better solution?
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: 4WD vacuum boots keep breaking, need better soloution
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 04:36:54 PM »
Piece of silicon rubber hose over the line and fitting. Did mine 10 years ago.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 05:41:32 PM »
Piece of silicon rubber hose over the line and fitting. Did mine 10 years ago.

I'll give that a shot. For now I put a regular boot in there with 2 squeeze clamps.

Offline Monkeyjoe

• What greater man is than one who gives his life for his friends
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
  • If you want to look common, buy a Ferrari
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 02:35:17 AM »
Make sure the vacuum line isn't pulling the boots to the side.  make sure there is no "side load", this could be causing the problem.  May have to install a longer vacuum hose or support the existing hoses.
I JUST TELL MY WIFE "SOME PEOPLE COLLECT STAMPS"
1982 AMC Eagle SX4, (Little Beast)
1983 AMC Eagle Wagon, (Gold Digger)
1992 Dodge, Cummins, 1 Ton Duelly (Big Red)
1967 International Scout 800 (Scooter)
1988 Chevy k1500
1960 Ford F100
1927 Model T, Hotrod(Daddys Girl)
1961 Willys FC150 (Scat)
1978 Honda CB750
1971 Honda CB350

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 10:55:11 AM »
Most likely just poor quality import junk made with the wrong material. It's amazing they were able to make a material that lasted almost 30 years and with today's technology the foreign manufacturers can't figure it out, or maybe they just don't care.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 11:52:55 AM »
I'm a little slow, can you explain what you mean by the "vacuum boots"?  Thanks for cluing in the clueless.   ???
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 02:36:44 PM »
I'm a little slow, can you explain what you mean by the "vacuum boots"?  Thanks for cluing in the clueless.   ???
I'm as clueless as you are. I've enjoyed some success using various diameters of nylon air system tubing found in trucks and buses. If I knew where he was having problems or I see a photo I can pass my solutions on to him. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 04:42:22 PM »
The things I'm referring to are the rubber boots where the factory joined different pieces/colors of vacuum tubing.

Most likely just poor quality import junk made with the wrong material. It's amazing they were able to make a material that lasted almost 30 years and with today's technology the foreign manufacturers can't figure it out, or maybe they just don't care.
My thoughts exactly. All the ones I can find are Chinese. When they break they're breaking at the seam the mold leaves when they're manufactured.

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 11:33:11 PM »
OK...now it makes more sense. Nylon tubing for truck and bus air systems is available at truck dealers and other purveyors of truck parts. I think you need a piece of 1/16-inch nylon tubing. One end goes over the original tubing and the other slips inside.  :eagle:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 11:35:43 PM by eaglebeek »
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk