News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 11, 2024, 07:09:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Basic Stroker Q/A  (Read 3953 times)

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
Basic Stroker Q/A
« on: September 26, 2012, 12:54:31 AM »
So I'm in the process of rebuilding a 4.0 to swap into my SX/4, but I've wondered whether or not the most basic 4.5 stroker option would be viable or just not worth it for me. I have a few questions regarding this, and to define "4.5 stroker", I'm talking 4.2 crank and rods swap without any other mods (probably will have a new Crane cam, everything else held constant).

In comparison with a stock HO 4.0l engine and MPI setup:
-What can be said about the longevity of the 4.5?
-I assume it's lower, but what is the gas mileage like?
-Can I use Regular pump gas, or is Premium/High Octane required?

My eagle is currently auto A998, with NP129 and I believe 2.73 gears. I will probably retain all of this until a while after the swap, but my [far] future endeavors are AW4, NP242...
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Basic Stroker Q/A
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 08:18:30 AM »
i built 2 of them now. gas mileage is the same. why would you think the longevity would be less? i can chirp my sr4 trans tires into third so that stroker is fun. 

Manitowoc WI

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 12:17:39 PM »
Good to hear! What grade of gas do you use in them? I just was wondering how well the 4.0 block stands up to the increased compression and if it makes any significant difference in how long it will last. I'd baby it anyway, I always use full synthetic and I even had an Amsoil bypass filtration system in mind with a forever oil filter. The cooling system will also be more than adequate with my aluminum rad and all new components.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 12:40:29 PM »
regular gas. msd 6a ignition carburated.

Manitowoc WI

Offline amcinstaller

• Installer, Mechanic, Who Knows.....
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
  • So That's Like A Cross Between A Pinto And A Vega?
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 02:14:03 PM »
unless youre going over a .060 overbore, i wouldnt worry about it. just make sure your spring pressures are right and it will last as long as a regular rebuild
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
1980 AMC Spirit GT  Restomod In Progress
1998 Dodge Stratus  Boring DD With Loud DD Bass
Liquid Audio Styling and Sound
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 11:54:28 PM »
I think I just might go with a 4.5 stroker when the time comes. Thanks for the info!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk