News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:38:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Any home appliance technicians in the house?  (Read 2395 times)

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
  • If it can happen, it will happen to me.
Any home appliance technicians in the house?
« on: May 26, 2014, 11:24:17 PM »
I know this is WAY off topic but hey this is the "off topic" forum lol and I am a bit desperate so I figured I'd ask here...

Do we have any home appliance electricians in the house?

I bought a used Magic Chef range (oven?, stove? -not sure if there is a difference, but to me they're all the same) drop-in, glasstop but the people I got it from didn't install or uninstall themselves and from the sound of it this thing was directly wired into their cabinets (*shrug* guess that's a "fancy" thing  ???) and they didn't know much about what I found back there.
It does not have a pigtail and I am trying to install a 3-prong. The far left screw on the block terminal is broken off and (what I believe is) the ground strap has been cut.

My problem is the "rigging" that the installer did and what the wires from his "rigging" goes to, I assume they all came from the far left screw that was broken off at the terminal but I need verification.
Planning on taking the block terminal off my old range & ground strap and put it on this one.
I attached a picture showing what it looks like back there- there are 3 wires going into this "rigging" which is that black thing on the left with the wires just hanging there in the picture.

I can't find any information regarding this range.
I don't know what model it is or how old.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 12:58:48 AM by MudPuppy »
Lurker & unintentional thread killer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
Yes, I stand before you now, naked, unhidden, uncamouflaged and unafraid.
As pure and true as a human being is able to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
Re: Any home appliance technicians in the house?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 11:58:08 PM »
Somewhere...usually near the power supply cord or just inside the oven door...on that range  /stove there should be a tag stating the model & serial number and the voltage that the stove requires. The tag is almost always riveted on and difficult to take off. If your range is missing its tag there's a reason for it and it can't be good. I would be very wary of that appliance

With the information you find on the tag you should be able to find just about everything you need to know on-line.:eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 12:44:30 AM »
Thank you eaglebeek I will have to look into that tomorrow since I left it in the carport tonight lol

I have been trying to look for anything online regarding ranges & their wiring but so far all I have been coming up with are ones that have less (than 3) wires on the left side. Even my old stove (though it isn't a glasstop & doesn't have any of the fancy stuff like this one - digital display, clock, etc.) only has 1 wire on that side.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 08:09:30 AM »
Older electric stoves like this one may be grounded through the neutral wire in the 230-volt power supply. The burners themselves use the two "hot" wires. The "hots" can be any color except white or green...black, red, blue, etc. The neutral is always white if the house was wired properly to begin with. It's an educated guess, but I would think the broken stud connected the neutral wire from the house with the ground strap that appears to be broken or cut off.

A separate wire may also connect the ground to a nearby copper water pipe and a ground established in that manner.

Try giving these guys a call: http://thebva.com/. They operate a Denver-area appliance shop that's been around for 40+ years and freely gives advice over the phone. They likely know what you have by how you describe it. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 04:06:41 PM »
Found the model# (thanks again eaglebeek)

Didn't find anything regarding my concerns online for it though, even the online manual for it didn't verify the number or colors of wires coming from the stove. But went ahead and emailed them at thebva.com (thanks again to eaglebeek :occasion14:) that way I could send the picture as well. Haven't gotten a response from them yet.
But given that the left terminal on the terminal box is broken and that it has this "rigging" (with the 2 port tap connector) with these 3 wires coming from the stove (these wires are: 2 black & 1 orange). I went ahead and took the port tap connector off and wired up my pigtail.
Drug the heavy little thing inside and did a test connection- checking my connections in the back and also testing all components to the stove and everything is functioning as it should.
About to cook some dinner on it for another round of testing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk