News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 08:44:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Eagle Automatic Transmission  (Read 92477 times)

Thomas

Re: Eagle Automatic Transmission
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2007, 11:01:36 AM »
This could be a new topic if needed.  However, I'll post my question here since I believe that the question and answer are germane to eagle automatics.

I AM INSTALLING A 727 transmission in my SX/4.  I have a Cherokee trans cooler that I can install in front of the a/c condenser.  My question is "which port on the trans case is the fluid being pumped out of?"  The reason I ask Is that I want the fluid to go through the radiator first then through the auxiliary trans cooler then back to the transmission.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2007, 11:17:40 AM »
Great question.  I can check tonight but I bet someone here knows without looking it up.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Thomas

« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2007, 10:29:30 PM »
Josh, that maybe 'good ' advice for some one who is only doing light duty four wheeling.  But, ...  the number one enemy of automatic transmissions is heat.  >:( The second is dirt. >:(

Yes, you can do moderate wheeling without an auxiliary cooler.  I have done it many times before.  :)  But if I know of a better way to do things and if I can afford it, then I do it.
 The 727 was rebuilt for a grand wagoner.  The reason it needed rebuilding was slow speed wheeling and snow plowing.  Snow plowing is done in cold weather when one would not think of overheating the transmission.  But at those slow speeds there is not very much air movement through the radiator.  Therefore the heat builds up. :o
Also, for the most effective cooling, one should hook up the lines so that the fluid goes through the radiator first and then through the auxiliary cooler before returning to the transmission.  If hooked up in the opposite fashion then one would be cooling through the auxiliary unit and then heating it in the radiator. :-[
And for maintenance purposes just think of all four wheeling as severe duty usage.

Thomas

« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2007, 11:14:24 PM »
Is your electric fan a pusher mounted between the radiator and grill?

Offline ejw4x4

• Thread Resurrector
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2007, 07:31:30 AM »
   Are there any four speed automatics that will bolt up w/o much modification to an Eagle?
87' Eagle Wagon (SOLD)
94' Camaro Z28 grocery getter
66' Satellite (GTX clone project) 440/727

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2007, 08:42:44 AM »
The AW4 from a Jeep 4.0 will bolt up.  IIRC you will need to redo the drive shafts and maybe some floor pan mods.  I forget what is needed regarding electronic sensors.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline ejw4x4

• Thread Resurrector
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2007, 01:35:43 PM »
The AW4 from a Jeep 4.0 will bolt up.  IIRC you will need to redo the drive shafts and maybe some floor pan mods.  I forget what is needed regarding electronic sensors.
Cool, I've always wondered if there was one out there, with gas near four bucks overdrive is quite necessary lol.
87' Eagle Wagon (SOLD)
94' Camaro Z28 grocery getter
66' Satellite (GTX clone project) 440/727

Offline Bird-o-Prey

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2007, 03:51:47 PM »
I called a guy at "Jeep Thrills" the other day.  This is a shop that only works on Jeep and Jeep related vehicles (like AMC's), and I was told by him that the output / input spline count would be different.  Is he just trying to get me in for $110/hr labour charges or is there something to that??
No matter how bad YOU think it is ... it could always be WORSE!!

Offline Bird-o-Prey

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2007, 03:52:43 PM »
Sorry, the last post refers to the AW-4 tranny.
No matter how bad YOU think it is ... it could always be WORSE!!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2007, 07:28:25 PM »
According to a quick Google search, the pre 91 AW4's had a 21 spline count and teh 91 and later ones had a 23 spline. All Eagles used a 23 spline output on the tranny. Now I don't know if there are different lengths. Maybe you can install the matching transfer case with low range and put the labor charge towards that purhchase instead.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline demonicdragon

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • its cool cause you say its cool
    • My Cardomain site for my 85 Eagle
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2007, 11:09:08 AM »
http://www.drivetrain.com/new_overdrive/Dodge3speedautomatic/overdrivedodg3spdauto.html.. just found this page..did dodge actually use the same TF 727?

Offline Pack Rat

• Thumbs Up 152
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2007, 11:22:33 AM »
Not sure what the question is, Torque Flite is Dodge.

Offline demonicdragon

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • its cool cause you say its cool
    • My Cardomain site for my 85 Eagle
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2007, 12:20:43 PM »
i wasnt sure dodge vehicles had it. ik chrysler used them.. wasnt sure any "dodge" vehciles did

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2007, 02:37:44 PM »
I think it would work only on 2WD applications.  On our cars it would have to go before the transfer case.  I think putting in an AW4 would be a whole lot easier and cheaper.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline Krash2Powder

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2008, 02:15:55 AM »
I've Read Through Most Of This Forum... But I'm Still A Little Confused... What Would Be My Best Bet For What Year And Style Jeep To Get A Tranny Out Of For My 84 Eagle Wagon?? I Have The I6 258 (4.2) Engine In There... And What Modifications Would I Need If Any To Get The Tranny In Quick And Easy To Get My Eagle Back On The Road And Into The Mud Pit??
1984 Eagle Wagon - I6 258 (4.2) - Sittin On 225/75R15 Steel Rim Tires

If It Aint An Eagle... It Aint Worth Drivin!

Go Play In The Mud!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk