News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 05:45:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spirit AMX SR-4 T-5 swap  (Read 8097 times)

Offline TwoEaglesForMe

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Greg
Spirit AMX SR-4 T-5 swap
« on: April 21, 2014, 09:38:01 AM »
So today I start my new project of swapping the broken SR-4 for a T-5.  AX-15 is out of the question due to lack of funds and availability.  Will post lots of pics and info as I go along.  Should be fun and interesting.  I didn't see much here on the forum on 2wd swaps so I hope my project helps out others too. Stay tuned...

Offline TwoEaglesForMe

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Greg
Re: Spirit AMX SR-4 T-5 swap
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 08:28:28 PM »
I found a donor T-5 today on craigslist.  Pulled the SR-4 from the car and took it apart to see what was broke.  The main shaft was split in 2 and a bunch of gears missing teeth and a whole lots of broken pieces in the bottom of the case.  Somebody did not love this car enough to treat it well.  Anyway here are some pics of the 2 transmissions side by side.

So far everything I have researched has worked.  I am using a clutch pack for an 83 CJ-7,  part # 01-017.  T-5 trans from a 1988 mustang lx 5.0,  # 1352-169.  Dorman pilot bushing 690-043. I ordered the steel bearing retainer from quadratec part# 52129.03  The trans mount I will have to fab up somehow,  but I got one for the mustang part # EM2388.  The flywheel is at the machine shop getting re-surfaced and should be ready tomorrow.  The driveshaft fits no problems spline count is the same.  I will however have to cut the floor back just a few inches to clear the shifter,  but won't be noticeable due to the boot and carpet covering it up.  Anybody have suggestions on the type of fluid I should use in this gearbox?  I was thinking royal purple or some other synthetic brands.  So far this swap is going quite smoothly and I can't wait to drive it.  The speed sensors are different,  so I will have to find one and adapt it.  Also I will be installing the power steering,  power brakes,  and tilt column from my parts Eagle,  as the Spirit doesn't have them.  Till tomorrow........

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 08:45:28 PM »
Cool. What ratio is in the rear axle?
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline TwoEaglesForMe

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Greg
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 09:08:15 PM »
It is a 2.53.   I probably wont even need 5th gear lol but at least now I can source parts down the road in case something happens.  Seems the SR-4 went bye-bye long time ago.  None of my 8 parts suppliers could find a clutch kit for it.  Funny how they would put a small disc and 3 bolt pressure plate behind the 258 in that car,  but use the more common 10 inch disc and 6 bolt pressure plate on everything else?  This is my 2nd AMC to have a manual trans.  My 81 FSJ Cherokee clutch kit was identical to the one I just bought today,  held up great behind that 401 up to the day I sold it.  I still kick myself for doing that.

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 11:41:57 AM »
Be wary of GL-5 fluids. I think the standard T5s can run GL-4 or Mobil 1 GL-5, which is safe for yellow metals. "World Class" T5s need a thinner fluid because of the bearings, something Synchromesh compatible. I can't say that I've ever run Redline or Royal Purple, I use Valvoline or Mobil 1.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 12:28:02 PM »
In my Mustang days, we just ran whatever  Dexron we could get  in the WC T-5's.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 01:08:07 PM »
Amsoil makes a nice ATF-like oil for modern transmissions that is still yellow metal safe. Look up what they say for the Stang on http://Amsoil.com
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline TwoEaglesForMe

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Greg
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 10:33:39 PM »
I am gonna use regular dexron 3 / mercon oil.  The trans mount is a no go.. will have to figure out another way to secure it another time.  Right now my project is going to be temporarily on hold.  Will be back soon with more pics. 

Offline TwoEaglesForMe

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Greg
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 06:48:05 PM »
Well I finally was able to drive it around the block,  but the engine went south on me.  Lots of knocking and burns oil james bond style.  Not sure what I am going to do with it now.  At least the trans shifts smooth and no noises or popping out of gear. Stinks I was looking forward to the summer car show season with it.  I guess I will look for an XJ donor and go injected,  or maybe a 401.  Decisions, decisions.....

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 09:00:36 PM »
Pull the valve cover and see if a pushrod is bent or valve is stuck. Pulling plugs should tell you which one.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline TwoEaglesForMe

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Greg
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 09:24:37 PM »
Well I finally got back to this project and found a few bent pushrods.  Replaced them,  and they bent again.  Seems there is a valve that's bent and is getting stuck in the guide.  I did get to drive it for a few miles before they bent again,  so I'm glad the trans swap worked out well.  I am now moving on to an injected 4.0 from a 93 2 wheel drive XJ donor.  This 4.2 runs good but just don't have any oomph.  I would have expected it to boogie a little bit being in a light car and a stick shift.  So that's where I am with this car.  Now that I just got my SX/4 the engine will wait for now. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk