News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 03, 2024, 03:15:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CV Joint boots  (Read 320 times)

Offline mlg10231

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
CV Joint boots
« on: December 11, 2023, 07:12:48 PM »
I had to replace my passenger side outer boot on my '84 5 speed Limited wagon. I went to a local auto parts store and came home with a new boot. Unfortunately, it was too large. I returned it, and they insisted it was correct for an '84. After measuring shaft and hub, I was able to find one from EMPI that fit. Now I have an inner boot failing, and looking at what is recommended, it again is not the right size. What I did find is that '83 boots are the correct size.

Has anyone else run across this issue? Is it possibly because it is a 5 speed? I thought maybe mine was a very early production '84 and may have still had '83 parts, but it was built in March of '84.

Thanks for any help.

Online AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: CV Joint boots
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2023, 12:56:46 AM »
Its actually not a question of tranny; the different size CV joints were for 4-cylinder vs 6-cylinder.   The same 2 different-sized CV joints were used all thru Eagle production; the only qualifier as to which got which was the number of cylinders.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline mlg10231

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2023, 08:06:33 AM »
I should have mentioned that that is the really strange thing; mine has the 4.2! When I bought it, it only had 39,000 miles so I don't think anything has been modified.

Online AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2023, 10:14:16 AM »
I've run into that exact scenario before - even back when I was an AMC dealership hack.  I don't think the assembly line folks paid much attention to which axle they grabbed!  Or it may have been a supply issue on the big joints - I've seen lots of the little joints on the 6-cyl cars; but not the other way around.  Who knows!
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7