News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 02:05:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rear diff oil. 85w-90 vs 85w-140  (Read 765 times)

Offline amccanoe

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
Rear diff oil. 85w-90 vs 85w-140
« on: November 05, 2022, 05:33:06 AM »
Hi all.

84 Eagle here with 3.08 rear end.

I'm getting ready to pull the rear diff cover and take a look inside.

My car manual calls for 85w-90 or 85w-140. Is there any downside to using the heavier stuff?  Any upside even if I am not towing anything?

And another problem. I went to two different auto parts places and Walmart. All they had was 80W-90...NO 85W-90. Can I use 80w-90.

Thanks!

Offline TheBirdman

• huffs gear oil
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • that noise? that ll go away.
Re: Rear diff oil. 85w-90 vs 85w-140
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2022, 01:43:51 PM »
Either one would work fine, it mostly depends on your climate. If you live in the desert, youd want to use the 85w-140, or if you get winter most of the year like me, youd want the 85w-90. 80w-90 would probably be close enough for eagle work, its not like these things are heavy duty haulers or crazy power sportscars.

IMO, the best way to think about oil weights is that the first number, the "85" in 85w-90 is the base weight, thats the weight it behaves like when its cold, and the second number, the "90" is the weight it acts like when it gets hot, as there are really long chain polymers in the oil that curl up when cold and straighten out when hot, to keep the oil from getting too runny when its hot.
83 eagle wagon 4.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk