News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:03:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pulling engine w/ transmission  (Read 3947 times)

Offline tgotr

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Driving cars older than me since 2007
Pulling engine w/ transmission
« on: June 22, 2022, 01:12:48 PM »
Ok, I am pulling my 258 due to damage in the cylinder (my fault) so I am doing a 4.0L swap as I have access to a 1991 4.0L for DIRT cheap that isn't crunchy but needs a rebuild. Don't have the harness or the ECU (hint hint, it was dirt cheap), so I am carbureting it. I am well aware that running a carburetor restricts the performance of this engine, but that's not the reason for the swap. Later on I may do EFI with the OG throttle body and a megasquirt setup to avoid 90s electronics and the capacitor plague.

I have a few questions. I am keeping the TF998 transmission and the transfer case as they work fine and maybe I'll rebuild them, do I need to get a starter for a 1991 4.0?

Also how hard is it to pull the Engine AND transmission as one unit on an Eagle? I've done it on a Cherokee without a ton of hassle. One of the reasons is I want to assemble the engine entirely on the stand, head manifolds, etc and then drop it in with the transmission attached, as a few of the bolt locations I find difficult to get on with, namely the farthest away manifold bolts, and the valve cover bolt against the firewall. When I replaced the valve cover with a metal one on my 258, I just used a couple Valve cover hold downs. Made taking it back off that much easier.

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
Re: Pulling engine w/ transmission
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 02:10:48 AM »
I've pulled the head with the engine still in the car, leaving the exhaust manifold in place. I also have a metal aftermarket valve cover but with the extra bolt holes drilled and tapped. The ones at the rear can come out with socket extensions and removing the wiper motor.

To remove the engine, transmission and transfer case as one unit, you need to disconnect the CV's and drop the subframe which means unbolting everything back to the driveshaft and lifting the front of the car.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/attachments/sx4-engine-insert-004-jpg.48642/
(that isn't me buthere's a photo for reference)

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 10:13:00 AM »
the valve cover can be removed without pulling the wiper motor. just need extensions and a u-joint in the middle.
I have pulled the motor from the topside leaving the axle in place. it's tight but doable.

Manitowoc WI

Offline tgotr

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Driving cars older than me since 2007
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 10:47:04 AM »
the valve cover can be removed without pulling the wiper motor. just need extensions and a u-joint in the middle.
I have pulled the motor from the topside leaving the axle in place. it's tight but doable.

My plan is to take the transfer case off, and try to pull the engine and transmission as one unit. I need to pull the transmission anyway.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk