News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 01:51:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Eagle landed in my driveway  (Read 2296 times)

Online MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
Re: Eagle landed in my driveway
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2022, 06:51:47 PM »
hi, not sure what that opening is for. It MAY be the bung for the "downstream" O2 sensor. Just plug it. My 84 does not have it, but then again, I have a complete new exhaust system, it may have been there originally.  gz

If this was pulse air originally instead of a smog pump there should be an upstream air port somewhere. Smog pumps liked to inject up at the exhaust ports but this indicates it was further down, past the O2 sensor.

If you aren't putting a proper replacement cat with an air tube and you passed inspection as-is there shouldn't be an issue removing the rest of it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 06:52:46 PM by MIPS »

Offline Bluevan

• Iron Hoarder
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2022, 08:10:42 PM »
Softbuster, this Eagle does indeed have a 2.35 gear ratio.  It has 96000 miles on it and I believe has the original cat.  The air tube going to it was rusted off so it was creating a leak and I suspected that it could be a blockage issue so I took it out and replaced with a piece of straight pipe.    It did not really make a huge difference, but the more I drive the car the better it seems to get.  At some point I will put a new high flow cat under there.  This car is not going to win any races but it works great for cruising around.  Been getting lots of compliments.

MIPS, thanks for the diagram.  Now I can remove the rest of that stuff and clean up under the hood a bit.  I will keep it all if someday a future owner wants to (or has to) put it all back.
Shipping containers are your friend!
1985 AMC Eagle Wagon
1989 Chevy Van G20
1982 GMC K10 (project in progress)
1994 Chevy Impala SS
1973 Lincoln Continental Mark IV
1974 Toyota Landcruiser (project not started)
1968 Dodge Charger (project not started)
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD

Online MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2022, 03:11:17 PM »
Yeah even used some of those parts are starting to be worth something. I've seen a few places that changed the rules on older vehicle emissions (no annual testing required but now all specced hardware must be installed to pass a visual inspection) and now that bits like the formed hoses and valves are not being made it's up to whoever hoarded these bits to get it working again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk