News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 03, 2024, 08:22:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Upper ball joint replacemet  (Read 2718 times)

bilge rat

Upper ball joint replacemet
« on: July 08, 2014, 08:43:46 PM »
Just discovered my upper ball joints are shot (84 eagle).  The local parts shop had a pair in stock, so I;m a pretty happy guy.  Ball joints are an easy replacement, but any specific tips or gremlins to watch for on the Eagle?  BTW, the ball joints are the originals-riveted in.  so they've been functional for 30 years. (If the new one last half as long, they'll probably outlast me by at least 5 years. :occasion14:

Offline Mernsy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
Re: Upper ball joint replacemet
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 09:09:18 PM »
Putting a short piece of two-by-four between the frame sill and the upper control arm before you start will help on reassembly.

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 09:42:15 PM »
I used a right-angle die grinder to grind off the heads of the rivets. The "beheaded" rivets then can be punched out with a hammer and punch. Alternately, you can knock off the old rivet heads with a hammer and chisel, but that's a lot of hammering.

And Mernsy is right...place a hardwood...not pine; it won't hold...block between the frame rail and the upper a-arm before you jack up the car for easier assembly with new ball joints. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 01:38:53 AM »
Grind off the old balljoint and not the arm so you don't damage it.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

bilge rat

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 04:30:13 PM »
Thanks for the tips, especially about the 2x4, that makes life easier.  Job"s done, Here's the old ball joint-  I'd like to thank both God and AMC for getting me home on my last drive.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 04:39:48 PM by bilge rat »

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 04:12:30 PM »
That is why it was designed this way. You had gravity on your side keeping it together
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk