News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 16, 2024, 04:53:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Question if I may  (Read 8667 times)

Prafeston

Re: Question if I may
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 10:13:40 PM »
I've never heard of this having to make a double pishhh sound to engage...

I asked awhile back about this noise because mine just makes the single pishhh sound and most of the comments were saying that their switches made no noise at all. Others also had the noise, but no one said anything about it having to making it twice in order for it to be engaged.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 11:01:39 PM »
If you have the axle vacuum, there is sometimes a double noise because it's moving 2 vacuum servos.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Prafeston

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 03:00:20 PM »
Tried the 4x4 again today. Could kind of hear the double pishhh noise, but it still doesn't run right in 4x4.

When I get up to 30+mph it starts getting a very subtle vibration up front and it seems to be even worse when I'm just sitting at idle. There is even a noticeable difference in how the engine sounds. I'm not sure what is going on here.

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 07:31:59 PM »
Tried the 4x4 again today. Could kind of hear the double pishhh noise, but it still doesn't run right in 4x4.

When I get up to 30+mph it starts getting a very subtle vibration up front and it seems to be even worse when I'm just sitting at idle. There is even a noticeable difference in how the engine sounds. I'm not sure what is going on here.

It sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere is the first problem.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Prafeston

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 07:37:18 PM »
Put in 2wd and it sounds fine and gives no vibrations until speeds over 60+. I'm sure it needs some front end work. New bushings all around probably.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 05:49:47 PM by Prafeston »

Prafeston

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 05:50:40 PM »
Made a short video of my car running in 4x4 and 2wd. Sorry it's dark it was at night. You can hear the vibrations though in 4x4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vIYCzAlFmA

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 12:59:17 AM »
So, I listened to the video...

How are your motor and transmission mounts? When the transmission mount collapses you can get metal-against-metal, and it would definitely be torque-sensitive.

If they've gotten oil soaked they can soften and separate. The motor mounts won't come apart completely, there's a metal catch. It's not dangerous, but it will transmit noise and will be affected by acceleration, deceleration, or going in reverse depending on how they have worn.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Prafeston

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 01:07:17 AM »
Interesting...I do have a pretty leaky valve cover. I'll have to take a look at the mounts. I don't even know where they are so I'll have to go investigate.

Offline Wahoola Monk

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 09:53:36 PM »
Oddly enough after I put it back in 4x4 To date nothing has reoccurred. Knock on wood.

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2012, 11:31:29 PM »
Prafeston,

They are on either side of the engine about 1/3 of the way back on the engine block bolted to the side of the engine, and the bottom is bolted to the cross member(there is one motor mount on each side of the engine) that runs side to side between the frame rails it's dark & cold out or I'd send you a pic

The rans mount is actually on the bottom rear of the transfer case & bolts to the rear/transmission cross member

Offline Wahoola Monk

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2012, 07:12:56 PM »
Prafeston did you ever get that vibration figured out?

Prafeston

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2012, 07:32:59 PM »
Suspecting I may need a new tranny mount. I haven't really ironed anything out yet though. Might also have some vacuum leak in my 4x4 system that is causing it not to fully engage properly.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk