News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:09:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rear Sway Bar for Eagle  (Read 7109 times)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
Rear Sway Bar for Eagle
« on: March 23, 2012, 07:17:13 PM »
I consider El Matador pretty well versed in parts (and availability) on most AMC cars - mostly the Eagle.

Now, he tells me about rear sway bars in this way: "I've heard people mention that these things exist, but they're mostly a myth"  (you really have to hear him say this... very sarcastic and jokingly.  it's actually funny)

But EM says he doesn't know anyone who has one, or has actually seen one (a rear sway bar) on an eagle. 

I've never known they were rare or not.  I didn't give the matter any thought at all.

So, are they really that rare??

If yes, then there were two at the Kelowna Pick n Pull.  We got the one that was pretty much rust free.  I took all the brackets off (two on the frame, and two plates that sit under the U-bolt nuts.) and I got the bushings intact, and all the basic parts.

I told Dean we need to bring it in, and see how much to duplicate it (part numbers, parts available, bending the bar, etc.) and/or at least get specs for it so someone else can have one made.

we probably should have taken measurements on where the holes go into the frame, but we never thought of that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB0S9Jc57XY&

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
Re: Rear Sway Bar for Eagle
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 08:30:07 PM »
My 86 wagon has one and it also has the factory heavy duty trailer hitch and transmission cooler.Makes me wonder if it was a package deal or something? Anyway the sway bar needs new rubber bushings and was wondering where a guy might find these parts.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 08:41:41 PM »
My 86 wagon has one and it also has the factory heavy duty trailer hitch and transmission cooler.Makes me wonder if it was a package deal or something? Anyway the sway bar needs new rubber bushings and was wondering where a guy might find these parts.

not sure because Dean's wagon has the towing package (his current DD) with the tranny cooler, and the trailer hitch, and his doesn't have the rear sway bar...

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 09:43:52 PM »
This is interesting...At this point I've only seen Canadian models of Eagles and Concords but the Hornet has proven to me that some American manufactured models may exist as well. Maybe parts packages like sway bars and certain gauges were determined by their manufacturing plant?

Was there anything less than ordinary about these cars?
Transmission?
Shifter location?
Differential gearing?
Engine?
Wagon/Sedan?

My Eagle wagon was made with the I6 258, floor shifted 3SPD auto, 2.73 gearing and I have never seen a rear sway bar on any of these vehicles. I didn't see one on the 81 Eagle that used to be in the PDX Pick-n-Pull either and it's pretty much a clone of my car without select drive. Weird. :/
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 12:00:48 AM »
I've got at least 6 sway bars. They certainly exist. My '83 SX4 had one from the factory and there is nothing special about it except that the original owner checked off every option the dealer had available. If you see an Eagle sway bar in the junkyard I want the foot at the axle and the mounting brackets at the subframe. I'd like to install them in every Eagle I own. They make a huge difference in ride quality.

The Jeep Cherokee sway bar itself is totally identical to the Eagle version. I wouldn't pay shipping for the bar itself because I can pick up a dozen of them in my junkyard here at home. The pictures show a Cherokee sway bar with Eagle mounting hardware. The holes for the sway bar are already drilled in all Eagles. The angle that bolts to those holes would not be hard to fabricate (its different than the XJ version).

At the end of the sway bar are two short links that go from the end to the axle. The XJ version is rotated 90 degrees to the Eagle version. This is necessary because of the Eagle bumpstop. You can use the XJ feet if you cut them, rotate them, and weld them back together.

Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 02:49:07 PM »
They are pretty much the same as the XJ ones. I've had both side by side (not sure if my current wagon has one)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline MortenB

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 01:21:48 PM »
I just installed a rear swaybar from a Jeep Cherokee.  It fit perfect.  I fabricated an L shaped bracket to go on the frame, and a long L bracket for mounting on the spring ubolts.  The endpiece from the Cherokee fit perfectly without modifications.
1983 Eagle SX/4, 6cyl 5 speed
1970 Camaro (undergoing restoration)
1964 Lincoln Continental Convertible
1992 Chevrolet Blazer EV conversion; 100% ELECTRIC car, daily driver
1996 VW Golf Citistromer; 100% ELECTRIC car, daily driver

Offline HornetRWB

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • just ramblin'
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 03:28:58 AM »
I've got a rear swaybar in my '80 Eagle Sport STW, along with what's likely an original trailer hitch and coilovers in the back.
^
cRazy Finnish AMCer...
- AMC Eagle Sport STW 1980 258cid+TF998 Silver
- AMC Hornet SST 2D 1970 343cid+T10 Red-White-Blue
- AMC Rebel SST 2D HT 1969 360cid+TF727 Midnight blue
- Jeep Cherokee Limited XJ 4.0L+autom Black
www.amccf.com

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 03:14:02 PM »
Mine had the Air ride and no swaybar.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline masternull

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2021, 11:15:41 AM »

Online Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2021, 01:14:40 PM »
I would think it would. I think the ones that came on our cars are smaller diameter and doubtfully forged steel.
Going to look into one of these myself.
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2021, 11:47:37 AM »
... Makes me wonder if it was a package deal or something? ...
From the 81 dealer price guide.pdf
HD (heavy duty) option 701: a rear sway bar and a heavier duty front sway bar. Don't know if that was actually offered for Eagles.
Under 30 series Eagles: Extra Duty Suspension Package: rear sway bar, heavy duty shocks (front & rear), heavy duty springs (front & rear).
Under 50 series Eagles: Extra Duty Suspension Package: rear sway bar, heavy duty shocks (front & rear).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk