News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:18:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Failed emissions, CO too high  (Read 11554 times)

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
Failed emissions, CO too high
« on: August 17, 2011, 09:29:06 PM »
I just moved down to Colorado last week, and just got my emissions testing done today with bad news, it failed.  I still have all the emissions equipment hooked up and a strong running motor.  It has had a recent tune up too.  Its acted like its running rich, especially up here at this elevation, and I guess this test confirms it.

Here are the results I got:

HC PPM:
155.7 @Idle
228.4 @2500
220.0 Limit

CO %:
0.69 @Idle
5.05 @2500
1.20 Limit

The HC barely failed, and Im assuming that if I can get it leaned out, the HC will drop enough to be passing.

Is there any quick cheap way to get it leaned out to a better A/F mixture?  Or something I can do to get it to pass?
It is an 81, so its a non-feedback carb, and I have the hotter coil upgrade, other than that it is mostly stock.

I have 10 days to get a free retest, and less time before it is legally supposed to be passed and registered.  And I am on a college budget, so cheap is best.  Worst case I could upgrade to a MC2150, but my first paycheck wont be coming for awhile, so Id rather find a cheaper option.  Thanks in advance.

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: Failed emissions, CO too high
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
Draekon,

Where are you located in Colorado?  I know a shop that will get it set up to pass in Aurora, and then do some fine tuning after you pass to get it running well again lol.  They worked on my 78 Gremlin and got it to pass.  PM me for futher info.  Thanks
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Eagleearl

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 10:01:49 PM »
There should be an Altitude Jumper connector that is near the MCU, under the passenger kick panel,  that needs to be jumped across at high altitudes (over 4000 feet) to tell the computer to adjust for thinner air.

Offline El Matador

• AMC Freak
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • SubaWHO?
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 10:11:51 PM »
There should be an Altitude Jumper connector that is near the MCU, under the passenger kick panel,  that needs to be jumped across at high altitudes (over 4000 feet) to tell the computer to adjust for thinner air.

He mentioned a non-feedback carb, so assuming that's original, there will be no MCU in this car.
1973 Matador 2 door
1979 Concord 2 door
1980 Concord 4 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1981 Eagle SX/4
1981 Eagle wagon
1982 Concord 2 door
1987 Eagle wagon

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 10:19:43 PM »
When I lived in CO I my Eagle failed bad but I needed to pass emissions to get my tag and wanted to do the Motorcraft swap, but not right away. I put in 5 gallons of E85 to about 5 gallons of regular and it passed with flying colors. No guarantee, but it worked for me.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 07:48:16 PM »
I'm out in Boulder, Aurora isnt too far away, although if there was something I could try first it would be nice to utilize my free retest.

When I lived in CO I my Eagle failed bad but I needed to pass emissions to get my tag and wanted to do the Motorcraft swap, but not right away. I put in 5 gallons of E85 to about 5 gallons of regular and it passed with flying colors. No guarantee, but it worked for me.
While that might make it pass, I'd be worried about the E85 eating the fuel lines.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 08:13:22 PM »
I don't think a one time thing will cause problems. Heck, all gas in CO has 10% ethanol.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Eagleearl

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 10:27:43 PM »
Sorry I guess I should pay attention. A 50-50 mix of gas and E85 for 1 tank will not hurt your gaslines.

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 12:02:17 PM »
Well I went to a shop today to ask about my emissions failure, and am now pretty ticked off.  The guy was very rude and treated me like I knew nothing, and everything I said was wrong.  I should mention, this is NOT the place vangremlin referred me to, I had decided to take it somewhere a little closer first.  He told me if I was going to spend limited money, replacing the catalytic converter would be a better way to spend the money than working on the carb.  This just seems like bullshit to me.  Sure, the cat may be bad, but there is more of a problem than just the cat.  I KNOW the car is running rich.  Replacing the cat would just be a bandaid fix and it would end up getting burned out quick if I dont touch anything else.

I also mentioned to him that I was considering a motorcraft 2150 upgrade, and he said that he had never seen a 258 with a 2150 pass emissions.  This shop is supposed to specialize in jeeps, and he claims to never have seen a 2150 pass emissions, yet GRONK has sold tons of the kits, and never heard of a car failing emissions because of it?  Doesn't quite add up.

Anyways, I have been doing more research on the whole emissions issue and haven't quite decided what to do.  I know the car is running rich, and the timing is probably a little off (I set the timing down at sea level, probably need to adjust it for high altitude).  I don't really want to spend the money on a carb at this point, but I also don't want to just bandaid fix it.  Since the real failure happened at 2500rpms, the only way to adjust the carter carb to maybe pass would be messing with metering rods and such, which I know nothing about.  I also don't think e85 would be able to drop my CO levels down enough to pass.  5% down to 1.2% is a pretty big drop.

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 02:11:21 PM »
You need to downsize your jets 7% for elevation assuming you came from lower elevation and you need to advance your timing 1degree for every 1000' above sea level.  The E85 trick works well too AFTER the jets and timing are correct.  Block off your PCV valve from entering the fuel mix for the test and find what your max idle RPM's are and max them out.  Faster running means cleaner burning.

F the cat converter.  Unless you have reason to believe it has failed elements, leave it alone.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 05:20:30 PM »
I have a gronk kit and mine failed........

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 12:50:45 PM »
I bought a junkyard MC2150, rebuilt it, and installed it and passed easily passed emissions.  I have to admit, its not the cleanest install, but I was on a limited budget (sorry GRONK, couldn't afford your kit).

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 11:39:16 PM »
No worries Draekon.  If you need any info for your install let me know.  I will provide.  I have passed emissions at just about every elevation in every state that tests.  These carbs run amazingly clean and atonomize the fuel better than most aftermarket TBI setups.  They will definitely not compensate for other running components that are off.  The 2100/2150 series will run amazing but you still need to have a decent platform for them to perform their best.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 11:45:14 PM »
I'm fortunate that MN doesn't have emissions testing.
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 11:51:07 AM »
I found that dirty oil makes these motors fail almost every time I tested.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk