News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 11, 2024, 03:16:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Best rattlecan paint/type?  (Read 7011 times)

Offline tougeagle

• Horses, rodeos, diesel trucks and AMC Eagles
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • There are many like it, but this one is mine
Best rattlecan paint/type?
« on: May 31, 2011, 10:42:49 PM »
After seeing brownbear's sedan, I definitely have been re-motivated to paint my pb hood that Caroline has been begging for. I was browsing around Wal-mart and noticed rustoleum has a gloss enamel paint that is about as close as I think I'll be able to get to her actual color, that very difficult to match "white but not quite".... BUt, I would definitely like some advice on this. It's got a layer of primer on top, but is still stock red on bottom ( I will probably leave it like that in the event that I am able to achieve my pipe dream of red and black, and would need that for matching). I will be doing the full shebang, primer, more primer, lots of paint, and clearcoat. What's the best stuff?
Upcoming 1982 Wagon "The Silver Bullet"
Goals: 550hp/600tq 4.5L EFI Turbo Stroker, Tremec 6 speed manual
2007 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 6 speed 600+hp/1400+tq fully deleted
1998 Honda Civic "the hoopdy"

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
Re: Best rattlecan paint/type?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 10:58:57 PM »
are you gonna be painting over paint, or bare metal?

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 11:15:07 PM »
as far as paint get what matches up and to acheve the best look wet sand the primer before paint, wet sand before clear, and wet sand after clear.  I'd stick to 1500-2000 grit wet dry 3M paper
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 11:23:20 PM »
in 09 I stripped the hood of all paint on the outside, and primered it. So, I'd be painting over primer. So a paint rated for up to 200 deg will work? or does it need to have a higher temp rating?

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 12:53:48 AM »
I've mentioned this in a few other topics, but when 'Mechanic' and I were at his shop, I got the chance to talk to their bodyman.  He said if you're painting over body work, primer, or bare metal, use Rim Paint.  Yup, the same paint strictly for painting car rims.  He said it bonds really well to bodywork, bare metal, and it's super tough.

You can also paint over it, with no sanding needed, or any kind of prep work.  So it makes a really good base.

But don't use tremclad, rustoleum, or any of those other rust paints.  They're not that good. 

I have no idea about enamel.

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 01:03:18 AM »
I may give it a go with enamel and see what happens. It's not like I'd be completely out of a hood if it doesn't work out ;)

What's your 'sona?

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 01:06:41 AM »
I think brownbear used duplicolor on his....however I bought some white duplicolor to touch up my truck and the stuff was junk dude....I had the the area sanded and primed. when I sprayed it the stuff was all runny and milky. I shook the  :censored: out of the can and tried it again and still it looked like crap. I finally ended up buying a cheap can of bright white spray paint and it actually turned out pretty good.

If your not in a huge hurry I got painting equipment Ill shoot that power bulge hood I got and when we meet up to put that computer in Ill trade you my painted power bulge hood for you primered one...and Ill also trade you D/S fenders from Ginger so you can have a unifom car...Im gonna be repainting ginger...probably solid olympic white, so it wont hurt my feelings to have two brown fenders and a primer hood for a while.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 01:08:39 AM by shanebo »
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 01:08:48 AM »
I think brownbear used duplicolor on his....however I bought some white duplicolor to touch up my truck and the stuff was junk dude....I had the the area sanded and primed. when I sprayed it the stuff was all runny and milky. I shook the  :censored: out of the can and tried it again and still it looked like crap. I finally ended up buying a cheap can of bright white spray paint and it actually turned out pretty good.

If your not in a huge hurry Ill shoot that power bulge hood I got and when we meet up to put that computer in Ill trade you my painted power bulge hood for you primered one...and Ill also trade you D/S fenders from Ginger so you can have a unifom car...Im gonna be repainting ginger...probably solid olympic white, so it wont hurt my feelings to have two brown fenders and a primer hood for a while.
Dude, that would be so beyond awesome!

What's your 'sona?

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 01:22:26 AM »
Id be happy to do that for ya...Im going to be buying can of Olympic White and hardner here in the next couple of weeks after I recover from my 900 dollar insuance bill. Im going to use bluebird as a guinny pig to refresh my painting skills...I havn't painted  anything in a few years so I want to do a little practice run before I shoot Ginger....Its not like I can hurt bluebirds paint. Plus I have seen white cars with blue interiors so it wont be like a total clash.

Offline craigp29690

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 12:54:39 PM »
My choice of rattle can paint is Krylon.  My 66 AMC Classic wagon is a Celery color,  while browsing at Walmart I noticed a very similar color.  Did my standard prep work, primed the area and then applied the Krylon.  It's so close to a dead match it isn't funny.  But the paint has held up just fine for the last 3.5 years.  The car does sit outside so it's no garage queen.  I had read in a DIY magazine some years ago that if you're going to use cans, to figure two cans per body panel.  So a fender= two cans, a hood= two cans, etc.  The cans don't put out as heavy of a coat of paint as a spray gun does in one pass so by using the extra can, you get an overall thicker layor of paint on the surface and a longer lasting job.   If you use cans buy one of those spray handles that snaps on the can, it reduces fatigue and you end up with a much better job once you get the hang of it.
1957 Nash Rambler
1964 Rambler Classic 770 2dr
1965 Rambler Classic Wagon              NON-AMC
1966 Rambler Classic Wagon              1981 MAZDA 626 (RWD)
1972 AMC Ambassador Wagon           1991 MAZDA MX5
1981 AMC Concord Wagon                1978 Dodge Magnum XE
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd        
1987 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd           Yes I have a few toys..........

Offline craigp29690

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 12:56:11 PM »
I've used Duplicolor, Rustoleum, and some other "automotive" type spray brands and none equalled the Krylon for application, coverage and finish. 
1957 Nash Rambler
1964 Rambler Classic 770 2dr
1965 Rambler Classic Wagon              NON-AMC
1966 Rambler Classic Wagon              1981 MAZDA 626 (RWD)
1972 AMC Ambassador Wagon           1991 MAZDA MX5
1981 AMC Concord Wagon                1978 Dodge Magnum XE
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd        
1987 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd           Yes I have a few toys..........

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 01:12:21 PM »
Can you find someone that will use automotive paint? Once you use spray paint, it makes more work in the future when you want to do it right.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 01:26:27 PM »
Actually you can have automotive paint put into a rattle can if you wish. I did this for a few of the small pieces for the eagle, hood hinges, window moldings, ect. It costs about $20 a can to have done, but it's the same paint I used on the rest of the car, so no match or compatability issues. I used single stage acrylic enamel btw.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 09:01:17 PM »
Thanks for the info guys! Shane, if you want to paint my pb hood that would be awesome... Maybe I can strip my dented fender down after getting the paints matched, and as shaggimo said, get it put in a can, or use that fender to experiment on with color scheme I've had in mind for a while with two other auto paint colors...

What's your 'sona?

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 12:02:44 AM »
Ill get a pint or so of Olympic White, I got harnder already, and ill get that hood shot here in the next few weeks. Ill let ya know when its done, maybe we could meet in denver or somthing and swap em out.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk