News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 11, 2024, 09:13:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hornet face on an eagle?  (Read 5690 times)

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
Hornet face on an eagle?
« on: April 09, 2011, 12:20:12 AM »
Just a random question...Has anyone ever swapped a hornets grill assembaly into an eagle? Im trying to picture it in my head...Ive always wanted an amx front end but they are way to hard to come by and very expensive if ya do...I always like the round headlight look.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
Re: Hornet face on an eagle?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 01:24:56 AM »
I think it would likely be doable.  IIRC someone here has thought about it.  I believe I have seen posts with pictures.  I will see if I can't have the front clip off the Hornet Sportabout my friend Dustin is demo derbying.  The headlights are broken, buy IIRC everything else is in good shape.
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 02:34:39 AM »
if i remember correctly it was maverick who had thought about it but as is sometimes the case i could be wrong.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline SleepsUnderCars

• Eagle crazy
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 62
  • the last truckload of Eagles ?
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 10:16:36 AM »
I do believe a member in Dayton, Ohio has done this? His name is Scott, i cant remember his forum name. I picked up a car from him for Mavericke last year.
BUT I COULD BE MISTAKEN...........
'81 AMC EAGLE KAMMBACK rustbucket - off road only
'84 AMC EAGLE SEDAN
'68 Rambler Rogue 
'88 Dodge Ramcharger 
'07 Chrysler Pacifica (family hauler)
'80 AMC Spirit   ** FOR SALE **
'85 EAGLE WAGON sport   -bad frame future project

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 02:23:15 PM »
http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=22608.0

Check out IowaEagle's response in this topic.

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 02:35:36 PM »
Here's amcinstaller's response in this topic started by Mavericke...

http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=22762.0#quickreply

shaggimo beat me to it, but the buic regal lights have been used before. i have no clue whose car this is, but i want their hood! and bumper, and spoiler, and shaved door handles, and 401, etc. anyway, here is what it looks like:

but the grille and lights im using is from a concord, but the only year of the larger rectangle headlights. (as far as i know):

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 02:37:52 PM »
fishmeok is the member I remember posting pictures of an Eagle with round headlights. 

Here's the topic link...
http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=14118.0

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 02:42:58 PM »

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline doneagle

• A.M.C. EAGLES ARE EXSITEMENT
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 05:20:45 PM »

HI    Shane back in1975 I had a 74 hornet wagon----Soprt about  .That was one of the best cars I every
      had it was good allmost 200.000 on it when I gave it to my father in law long story .....I replaced it with a
      1977 hornet hatchback   X  I LOVED that car it was so cool ......TO make a long storyshort .I have a 77 now
       and had a 1982 S/X4 ,bad fr am..I measured the front end on both cars .The S/X 4 was 1/4" shorter then
       the hornet hood and fenders.....the wagon floor pan is the same as the hatchback....My 83 is a running parts
       car so I though it would nice to put the 4 wheel drive on the hornet I love the body on that hatchback.........
      I don't know why there was no Eagle hatchback outher then the X/S 4 . I know .the hood is the same on both
      cars with wise .the fender cut out was larger on the S/X 4..for the tires ....If I had any money the 84 and 77
      would become one that would be not nice ,good or sweet it would be grate I hope I sad something to help
      you   Shane      It sure helped me ......Don
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 09:06:19 PM by teneagle »
HI.....A BAD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK ...A GOOD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS PRICELESS

There are Eagles lovers and there are the uneducated and the best we can do
with them is try to EDUCATED them on the virtues of the BEUTEFULL cars that we drive   ...................don

Offline amcinstaller

• Installer, Mechanic, Who Knows.....
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
  • So That's Like A Cross Between A Pinto And A Vega?
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 11:15:24 PM »
hmm, 83eagle beat me to my own post  ;D anyway, its entirely doable. you need to get the grille assembly (obviously) left to right with light buckets, the headlight housing, the hood trim (the strip is just a little different at the edges), and you actually need to get a piece of tin from the headlight area as well. heres what i mean:

and then you need to weld that in here:

you may need to cut the hood as well to make it fit around the headlight trims, but you can use the new hood strip as a template. i havent finished mine yet, but its pretty much exactly what juhap is doing
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
1980 AMC Spirit GT  Restomod In Progress
1998 Dodge Stratus  Boring DD With Loud DD Bass
Liquid Audio Styling and Sound
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 11:55:27 PM »
That one with the buick headlights looks real cool...I wonder what kind of job that was?

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 09:04:20 AM »
That one with the buick headlights looks real cool...I wonder what kind of job that was?

Those headlights are pretty readily available.  They are the ones used on the Chevy Celebrity cars.  There are still a lot of those on the road around
here.

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline g-man

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 10:13:55 PM »
Don't know if this is helpful or counter-productive but...I did put the grill, headlights, and hood from an '80 Spirit onto a '77 Gremlin. It was one of the easiest things that I ever did.
Also, I put the entire front end from a '77 Hornet on to a '74 Gremlin. If I remember correctly it was also very easy.
The thing is that AMC did not change a lot of stuff around so that they could save money, so that means that all the post '70 small cars can switch and swap pretty much all they want without a whole lot of trouble.

g-man 

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 12:55:30 AM »
now that would look sharp!! I often wondered about putting a gremlins face on a kamback...that would really catch some looks! Im really diggin' the looks of those Regal headlights too. I might have to try that some day.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk