News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 03:13:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: i have developed a loud humming coming from the passenger wheel bearing i think  (Read 12569 times)

Offline pigonawing

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
i have developed a loud humming coming from the passenger front wheel bearing i think. dose anyone have any simple suggestions for a broke guy to get around buying or renting special tool to press on and off im in omaha ne and she is my daily driver if anyone can help please let me know

mike r

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
First off let's visually diagnoseit. Lift it up and see if she wiggles front to back or topto bottom. Or all around.

Careful of course since its in the air.

Manitowoc WI

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
I had a HUMMMM from the front bearings. Jacked it up and one was TIGHT and one was a little loose. I had to replace them. Plus 3 ball joints. Was a bit pricey.
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline WVEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 12

I just did my front wheel bearing it fits into hub assembly with shouldered bearing. I got my parts from autozone the bearings were 32.99 each and the carrier to hub seal was 10.99 plus  I  took it to auto store to get pressed it at price of 32.00. My total rebuild was $108.97.

WvEagle

benamcfan

Hello, Pigonawing.  Iwill try and help with this.First we need the year and exact model, milage on the car and history of the car if this is possible, and how long have you had the car. What type of driving do you do? How many miles per week, what type of roads do you operate the car on
 What speed(s) does the noise happen? Are there any current handling problems?
After we answer some of these questions, we can start by doing the following.
 1. we need specs on run out on the bearing,you should find this in an after market, or original  amc manual if it is availible. You will also need specs on front end parts and acceptable wear for the them.
 2. You need to jack up the car and check the entire front end for wear.
 3. IMPORTANT ! ALWAYS CHECK THE TORQUE SPECS FOR THE LUG NUTS ! I cant tell you how important that is. If the wheel is over torqued or unevenly torqued it will damage the bearing, and can damage the rotor  ( warp ).
 4. Assuming that it is the bearing, you may be able to rent the tools you need from a parts store. If you are not comfortable pressing the bearing yourself a machine shop or local garage may be the best answer.
 5. When you reassemble everthing be sure to use the specs for everthing, AND PLEASE USE A TORQUE WRENCH.
 6. When you are done take the car on the same roads that you normaly do, and at the normal speeds that you  drive. Check for any problems.
 Let me know if this helps.
 Thanks, Benamcfan. email [email protected] .

« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 08:27:38 PM by IowaEagle »

Offline pigonawing

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
it use to start at about 45 now i can hear it at 25 too. i got the car in september it has had this noise about the whole time its just gotten louder. when you turn the wheel slightly right it stops for a second. its a daily driver that i like to do a little ripping around with i replaced both front axles thinking that would do it but no luck so this is all thats left. and when you sit on the passenger side you can feel the floor board vibrate its a 1982 sx4 modle with 57,000 original miles money has become an issue it sat a long time so i have slowly replaced many things on it you can feel the drag on the car from this issue you let off the gas and it is like something is slowing the car without hitting the brakes. the parts store told me there is a inner and outter bearing not sure what to do there and now if i need to do both i guess it would be the best idea but not sure what to do and i need to find a good machine shop to press these on cause i dont wanna damage the parts.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
Sure sounds like the hub needs to be rebuilt.  Yes, both bearings, the seal and O-Ring.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline pigonawing

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
so if i find a used junker with a good hub could i just swap the whole thing

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline pigonawing

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
Are there more than 1 year i could get them from used

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
The 1980 hubs are ball bearing equipped, maybe a few 81's as well.  The rest are roller bearing equipped.    It is said the very early ones are not rebuildable but I think they have been using the roller bearing type bearings.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline pigonawing

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
well that is the story of my life trying to save few $ ends up costing me double the wife love this too haha it has put me in the dog house more than once

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
i had to rebuild the front wheelbearings on eagle eyes (a 80) and the bearings were cone bearings. so unless some previous owner switched hubs which i highly doubt it as the bolts had never been removed.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline fulsizjeep

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
    • Jubilee Jeeps
I don't mean to hi-jack but I hear there is a how to on rebuilding the hubs, yes?  The RF on Hobbes was humming when I bought it.  Being an older Rambler guy, I drove it until the bearing fragged out a couple weeks ago.   Just like a rambler, fix one thing and break another...  ;)  I have new half shaft, outer bearing and seal from NAPA.  Now I understand there is an inner bearing too?  Or is that part of the half shaft?

I was sorely disappointed to find this ole 4WD Rambler has metric bolts every where too...   ::)

edit - Thanks to IowaEagle!
http://www.amceaglesden.com/~iowaeagl/guide/index.php?title=Front_Wheel_Bearings

« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 01:58:27 PM by eaglefreek »
Flint
"Hobbes" 1984 Eagle Sport Wagon, 1990 XJ 4.0 w/EFI, TF998/NP229
SW Colorado

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
Two identical bearings in each hub.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk