News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 11, 2024, 06:27:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: body rust to be aware of  (Read 9570 times)

Offline Obscurity

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 22
Re: body rust to be aware of
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 01:04:05 AM »
Wow...I wish my SX/4 hatch wasn't so tough to open without the battery (and engine) in the car, checking for that rust would be a great low-impact thing to do on my car. I've got enough rust on there I saw this post and now I'm all worried that there's even more hiding!
"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd" -Miguel de Cervantes

Offline bigdog56e

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 65
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 08:24:59 AM »
 16 gauge is 1/16" or .060, use 3/32" which is .090, 1/8" .125 is tough to work with.

Offline runs.like

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • long trips are not yet advised.
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 10:30:19 PM »
Wow...I wish my SX/4 hatch wasn't so tough to open without the battery (and engine) in the car, checking for that rust would be a great low-impact thing to do on my car. I've got enough rust on there I saw this post and now I'm all worried that there's even more hiding!

is there no manual way to open the trunk?? i was under the impression you could always use the key....
1970 Mercedes 250
1988 Eagle Wagon
1989 Chevy C1500

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 10:36:49 PM »

is there no manual way to open the trunk?? i was under the impression you could always use the key....

It can be done. I've done it to a wagon anyway.

Manitowoc WI

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 09:44:15 AM »
I think that being so far away from heat and airflow in the winter and spring hurts the back of the cars, especially trunks. Moisture trapped back there just lays because there's nothing to dry it out.

Plus a full gas tank stays really cold in the morning. I've gotten under the Eagle early in the morning and the gas tank is soaked with dew.

Just one small drip from the trunk, hatch, or a window and that water will stay there for weeks.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk