News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 05:10:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: When, why and how to raise the wagon?  (Read 8013 times)

Offline Numbnuts

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
When, why and how to raise the wagon?
« on: December 01, 2009, 03:00:21 AM »
Specifics on how to raise the wagon?
Hey guys can anyone out there give specific "how to" information on how to go about lifting my 1983 wagon?
I understand it requires modifications, BUT WHAT? I understand it cost $$$ So what? LETS GO!
My engine is blown, so would this not be a really good time to swap out both engine and do a solid axle swap?
Yes, no, maybe???

Hey, Lifted Eagle, Roll Guy, and Big Guy 45, you guys out there?

How do I do this ? What do I need ? Do I need to rebuild the original engine or replace it with something else to drive the new front axle ?

Let's name, names, give year models, size, weight, lengths and parts numbers and get this project rolling.
Otherwise, I have a mint condition 83 wagon with a blown engine, for sale. Anyone interested?

Offline guitar eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Re: When, why and how to raise the wagon?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 09:00:11 AM »
it would definitley be easier to do the axle without the motor in it cause your ifs suspension pretty much is your motor mount. therefor you have to fab actual motor mounts along with the rest of the project.
my you tube sight, mostly vids of me and micks band.          http://www.youtube.com/user/guitarsinske

Offline Demigawd

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 02:58:32 PM »
well how high are you looking to raise it?

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 06:35:41 PM »
Specifics on how to raise the wagon?
Hey guys can anyone out there give specific "how to" information on how to go about lifting my 1983 wagon?
I understand it requires modifications, BUT WHAT? I understand it cost $$$ So what? LETS GO!
My engine is blown, so would this not be a really good time to swap out both engine and do a solid axle swap?
Yes, no, maybe???

How do I do this ? What do I need ? Do I need to rebuild the original engine or replace it with something else to drive the new front axle ?

Let's name, names, give year models, size, weight, lengths and parts numbers and get this project rolling.
Otherwise, I have a mint condition 83 wagon with a blown engine, for sale. Anyone interested?

It depends on what your final goal is and your fabricating skills.  I built my SX4 for hard core rock crawling, and the body shows how well it does (or my lack of driving skills).  If you just want it to look cool going down the road, that is easy as there is no need for a radical suspension. My son and I built the '85 Sport wagon  (ROTM winner) just for the "Cool" factor, not ever wanting to 'wheel it.  As far as step by step instructions, they are located in many of the threads on this forum.  The best way is to read ALL of the threads on the subject and view the photos.  You can then get an idea of how much work is involved, and how much of that work you want to take on yourself knowing your own skills. Mick may even have a kit by now to do a straight axle conversion.  There are also ways to raise the car without going with straight axles.  I would still like to see someone use a Cherokee as a donor (drivetrain and suspension), and make their Eagle look stock using all of the Cherokee suspension.  Regardless of how you do it, the most and BEST information can be found right here on this forum.....Rich
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 06:42:42 PM »

Add Animal, Mick, and joshpit2003 to your list as well.
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 01:39:35 AM »
TrapperJack did a mild lift on his wagon as well.  If that is the kind of thing you are looking for check out his thread on his grey wagon.
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline monsterbronc

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 23
  • Quicksand!, What quicksand?
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 10:17:55 PM »
I did a 4 inch lift in front and 5 in the rear, and I dont like it. the rear worked great, I used K5 blazer springs combined with my stock top leaf, and got almost 5 inches without lift blocks or etended shackles, had to extend the shocks though.

the front was done with a 2 inch upper ball joint spacer and a 1 inch coil spring spacer, and dropping the front axle assembly 3 inches. was difficult to to get my alignment right, an the extra work on the coils killed them. they started sagging so bad Ive lost 2 inches.

I have some ford 1/2 ton 2wd coils Im goilg to put in and try to fix the sag and beef it up a bit, but my ultimate goal is to use a solid axle in the front, I think it will be better on the trail. I might go leaf spring though instead of coils. But I dont want the radical height others have gone for with the solid axle. Kinda like rollguy said, use a kee doner, but keep it closer to stock height. Im happy with 5 inches, looks good, and its still suitable for highway driving, and has enough clearence that an experianced off roader can do quite a bit.
2001 Subaru Outback (the official car of Co.)
1979 Bronco, hauler/crawler, (Monster)
2014 Invacare T7A, (my new legs/wheels)

possible future rig......
imagine an AMX  on a FSJ frame.....

There is nothing wrong with my legs, they just wont do a :censored: thing I tell them!

Offline redneckjames

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 02:10:51 PM »
 [/quote]
 I would still like to see someone use a Cherokee as a donor (drivetrain and suspension), and make their Eagle look stock using all of the Cherokee suspension.  Regardless of how you do it, the most and BEST information can be found right here on this forum.....Rich
[/quote]

thats exactly what im working on now, im redoining the cross member today for more clearance

and i should have pictures up soon. keep a look out on some of my post to see what im up to

Offline Artmodels

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2022, 09:27:17 PM »
We just got a 81 eagle wagon, canadian specs version(non-feedback carb, air pump)

We are going to be doing the 2.5" lift to it, the rear leaf spring blocks are easy.  Out lifted eagle front suspnsion has 1" steel bars between the upper link and lower spring mount. Effectively raising the 2.5".  I can't find this drilled/forged 1" steel insert anywhere listed, so am thinking of the 1" spring extension end cup for the upper wnd of the springs.

Is there a certain diameter, or sp!cs for me to make sure of when I order, so I get the right size?  Thanks!

Offline TheBirdman

• huffs gear oil
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • that noise? that ll go away.
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2022, 08:43:09 AM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/382410199442
these are the ones I bought and stuck in mine
83 eagle wagon 4.0

Offline Artmodels

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2022, 10:27:31 AM »
How much did it lift your front?  I see they say they are .75 thick, did that give you a 2" or was it more?

Offline Artmodels

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2022, 10:44:03 AM »
Just got ahold of the manufacturer.  We had to go with a 1" thick insert to acheive the 2.5" lift.  Now on to the rear blocks.  Did you happen to have those part numbers?  Just trying to see what the block pin holes diameter is. Anyone know that size? (1/2", 5/8", etc?)
 Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 11:47:09 AM by Artmodels »

Offline TheBirdman

• huffs gear oil
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • that noise? that ll go away.
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2022, 05:49:24 PM »
Its kind of impossible to say how much those front blocks lifted mine, as I had a snapped coil spring and I replaced both springs with v8 javelin springs when I put the spacers in. I wouldnt really want to go any higher than this one, Im already having slight problems with CV shafts binding at full lock.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PXTYWJR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I used these for the rear along with air shocks, I didnt want to do the whole rear lift on blocks alone, with how weak and frankensteined my leafs are. I believe they make different size blocks. I did have to open up the hole for the locating dowel slightly, but it wasnt really a big deal, the solid nylon drills nicely.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 05:54:08 PM by TheBirdman »
83 eagle wagon 4.0

Offline EagleSX4_5Speed

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2022, 01:21:31 PM »
Something else you could try for the rear is using XJ Cherokee add a leafs. I used the full length ones from Iron Rock Offroad. I got about 2 inches out of them on my SX4 and seems to ride good.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk