News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:38:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rear Spring Lift  (Read 105782 times)

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • Midwest AMC Eagle Sanctuary Game Warden
Re: Rear Spring Lift
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2010, 03:20:54 AM »
Still trying to figure out what the best leaf springs are.... reading the initial post... anything wrong with this stuff? The front spacer says 1" in the pic, but I bought the 3" version.

Its got style... its got class...
It goes the extra mile... and still kicks @ss.
Strength. Intelligence. Beauty.
The AMC Eagle
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
81' AMC Eagle Sx4 (My very first car, The Millennium Eagle)
82' AMC Eagle Sx4 Sport (Custom General Lee Style)
85' AMC Eagle Wagon Sport (My Daily Driver)
00' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (The Grocery Getter)
And a plethora of other parts cars, and future restoration projects:
80 Wagon, 82 Spirit, Two 83 SX4s, 84 Wagon, 85 Wagon and more!!

Offline DGeagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 13
  • Forget the Whales, Save the Eagles!!!
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2010, 10:08:44 AM »
I bought those exact aluminum spacers, they didn't seem to fit on the spring right...it scared me having any wobble on the coil spring like that...maybe thats normal? I was not happy with the product at all. Maybe someone can offer me some insight.
87 Eagle Sedan--86 Eagle Sedan--98 XJ 4.6 stroker--81 Concord--78 Pacer V-8--74 Gremlin V-8- 78 Concord AMX V-8--89 Grand Wagoneers--76 J-10--69,70,71 AMX--71,73 Javelin--70 Rebel Machine, 48 Packard, 47 Nash, Many other AMC's, Fords, and Mopars....
Too Many cars too little time!!

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2010, 01:06:25 PM »
Yeah, more insight on these would be great...
The AMC Eagle

Offline Bosgarage57

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • II Timothy 1:7
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2010, 01:34:13 PM »
Mav I was gonna buy that off of the eB site as well, If you get it all figured out let us know.  They were pretty cheap I just dont know anything how to put it on the eagle.  Good Luck!

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2010, 02:37:53 PM »
Will do! I won't be putting them on for awhile, but for sure will post pics when I do... waiting on my spring compressor right now.
The AMC Eagle

Offline viasloth

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2010, 01:11:03 AM »
alright so now that im finding out blocks are no good. do they make a add a leaf kit for a 4" lift or higher for the rear? cause anything under 4" isnt gonna work with my tires haha and i 4" is kind close as it is  >:D

Offline idahoeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2010, 04:29:50 PM »
 The XJ rear springs are an exact replacement for the 2 and 4 door sedans and 4 door wagons. Not the Kammbak or SX/4s, unfortunately... I've done a pretty fair amount of research into spring dimensions to find that out. 

I'm going to be buying my 9th Eagle befroe the end of the year. I'll be using Old Man Emu XJ rears for 2" over stock in the rear from Rocky Road Outfitters (rocky-road.com) with new fronts from NAPA #277-3188 that are from a "Commercial Chassis" AMC Matador along with a 1" spacer to replace the stock spring seat on top of the spring from Autozone. I should net just over 2" from stock until the springs settle, then it should be pretty much 2" of lift.
 I'm not sure what I'll be doing about shocks yet. I'm going to use an XJ D44 rear with 3.54s and replace the vacuum disconnect front at the same time with one that has 3.54s as well. I'm going to use a NP208 from an early 80's fullsize Jeep for low range, simplicity, bolt-in, more rear driveline length, and to eliminate the problematic viscous coupling.

My goal is to have a capable wagon with more longevity with the drivetrain than stock and to comfortably clear 31s and be able to pull them down the road without a great deal of strain. I live in BFE right now and I'll need it to be able to go more than 200 miles 1 way without wearing me out.
Built 81 SX/4 under construction...
AMC 360, 727, 208, SAS GW 44 front on leafs, AMC 20 on S10 Blazer inconsiderate person pack, 33" tires, custom winch bumper, etc, etc...

Offline ynwa

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2011, 03:57:38 PM »
The XJ rear springs are an exact replacement for the 2 and 4 door sedans and 4 door wagons. Not the Kammbak or SX/4s, unfortunately... I've done a pretty fair amount of research into spring dimensions to find that out. 

I'm going to be buying my 9th Eagle befroe the end of the year. I'll be using Old Man Emu XJ rears for 2" over stock in the rear from Rocky Road Outfitters (rocky-road.com) with new fronts from NAPA #277-3188 that are from a "Commercial Chassis" AMC Matador along with a 1" spacer to replace the stock spring seat on top of the spring from Autozone. I should net just over 2" from stock until the springs settle, then it should be pretty much 2" of lift.

Great post Idaho. Question on the rears. The XJ's; are they stocker XJ rears which will 'end up' with a 2" over stock on the eagles? Or are the +2" XJ rears? Last, do we have to worry about vehicle year when ordering? Great idea and thanks for sharing your research!

cheers!
1975 J20 Pick up
1983 Eagle Wagon
1980 Eagle Sedan (2 door sport)

Online Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2011, 08:44:23 PM »
This is what I did:
Called ESPO and gave them the info on my Eagle, they sent the correct springs (my guess) for a Limited with AC.
Also ordered this:  http://www.quadratec.com/products/76101_800.htm
It is a full length add a-leaf for a Cherokee Has roughly the same unloaded arch as the "stock spec."  Espo's.
Started by using 2 C Clamps to hold the pack together. I cut the threaded portion of the pin to remove the 1/2 nut that held the leaf pack together, the threads were tapped down to prevent loosening. Removed the straps, and loosened the c-clamps. Placed the add a-leaf into the pack next to the top leaf (the one with the eyelets) Placed the phillips screwdriver through where the alignment pin goes. Clamped the pack together installed pin and the 2 straps.
Removed the old leaf packs and installed the new ones. A little side note. The driver side leaf front bolt rusted to the sleeve and was not removable. Had to cut the mess apart.

The 4 leaf ESPO pack is at the front. The 5 leaf Skyjacker/Espo pack is at the rear. The center pin was very long and needed to be cut down before install.
Hopefully I will get the front done this weekend.
Hope this helps.
Taylor
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

A-A EAGLE

« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2011, 02:51:24 PM »
Still trying to figure out what the best leaf springs are.... reading the initial post... anything wrong with this stuff? The front spacer says 1" in the pic, but I bought the 3" version.

I have this set on my Eagle. The 1 inch ring will effect in a 2.5 to 3 inch lift in the front. They are a great fit. The longer shackles do couple up fine with the front rings. Look!
Before:

And after:

Anjo
Holland

Offline NYEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2012, 01:44:44 PM »
Just go to any Auto Spring shop and have them install an extra pair of leaf springs.
That lifted my Eagle's sagging rear very nicely!

The shop said that if I wanted MORE lift, they could order taller front coil springs, THEN once the fronts are installed, they match the rear leafs to level the car off. Can't do it the other way round.

~ Joe in NY

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2012, 02:45:23 PM »
Poppycock! You do the rear before the front unless the rears are custom springs.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Prafeston

« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2012, 03:04:45 PM »
A-A Eagle,

What sort of left did you do to the back?

A-A EAGLE

« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2012, 05:14:56 PM »
A-A Eagle,

What sort of left did you do to the back?

I put the long shackles on the back as can be seen on the right picture of the exposed liftkit a couple of posts back.
Still happy with them.

Anjo
Holland

Prafeston

« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2012, 06:22:10 PM »
I'm having a hard time understanding how a 1inch spacer converts to a 2.5-3inch lift...

Also in the Eaglepedia I saw something about anything over a 2inch lift can get rid of some spacing needed for the suspension to travel.

Did using this 1inch spacer give you this problem?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk