News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:39:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 84 Eagle Wagon sun visor thread pitch?  (Read 951 times)

Offline Navarone

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
84 Eagle Wagon sun visor thread pitch?
« on: July 30, 2022, 07:20:59 PM »
My car came without sun visors so I bought some from a square body chevy. What thread pitch and length should I use to hold them on?

Somewhat related, the battery tray hold down bolt/clamp was missing so I grabbed a random junk yard clamp but none of the bolts I tried from the hardware store fit the battery tray threads. They all got chewed up. I tired 5/16 18, 8mmx1.0 and 8mmx1.25

If it's supposed to be one of those, should I just chase the threads with a tap?

Thanks!

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: 84 Eagle Wagon sun visor thread pitch?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 05:04:23 PM »
Per the parts books:

Visor screw is a J4005789, which was a #10 Torx-head sheet metal screw, 16 thread pitch, 3/4" long.   Phillips head screws work fine too.

There are 2 Battery hold-down bolt choices:

J4006364 for the plastic block; 5/16 x 18, 1.38" long

J4003556 for the metal block; 5/16 x 18, 1.25" long
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline Navarone

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2022, 09:12:38 PM »
Great, thanks!

Is that book available online? I'll have lots of little things like this to search for.

Right now I have the battery bracket held on with a 1/4-20 nut and bolt through the original hole. Think that'll be fine or should I try to get a 5/16-18 tap and a single bolt?

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2022, 10:50:08 PM »
The Eagle parts manual is here on the Den somewhere; tho I can't remember how to get there.  That'll get you the part numbers.  Then you need the "Jeep/Eagle Standard Parts" book to get the specs for the particular part number.   I don't think that book is on the Den anywhere - but I have a personal copy in my stash of AMC manuals.    They're kind of scarce, but I see one on ebay right now:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144484816887?hash=item21a3f757f7:g:eX8AAOSwPU5iRx3N
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline Navarone

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 11:50:49 PM »
Ah, got it. I couldn't find a detailed description of part numbers in the den's wiki, but then even with the part number the internet didn't have any details either.

That ebay link is a good lead, hopefully someone has scanned and archived it somewhere. Thanks!

I got the visors installed, the square body visor brackets are pretty close but not perfect. Usable though, so not really a problem.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 11:51:19 PM by Navarone »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk