News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:18:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vacuum Line 101.  (Read 16723 times)

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
Vacuum Line 101.
« on: October 09, 2005, 03:59:42 PM »
Your AMC Eagle probably has what seems like miles of vacuum lines going everywhere from and to strange and mysterious places.  A good number of these are related to the emissions controls of the '80's.   One bad line can make your car run terribly.  So its best to get hold of a vacuum diagram and some new hose and spend the weekend replacing it all.

Now a word about vacuum diagrams.  In a perfect world there would be only 1 diagram -- even 1 per year would be tolerable.  However, every year AMC Eagle seems to have a myriad of combinations and permutations -- based on the EPA regs that year, for what state the car was delivered to, engine, transmission, etc.  etc.   So if you are in desparate need of a vacuum line diagram you will need a TSM for your particular model year and you will also need to know which one will apply to your car. 

And your AMC Eagle will also have vacuum lines for the 4WD (except '80), the A/C if you have it, your Power Brakes and Cruise Control (if you have it).  All these need to be in good shape too.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Aquila

Re: Vacuum Line 101.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 10:45:46 AM »
This is gonna sound "nubish" but where do I find such a diagram(s). This is the primary problem with my car right now, Some of the lines are not even hooked up or the are but they just don't go anywhere.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 11:05:54 AM »
Most of them are within the AMC Eaglepedia.  See the very first board on the forums index page.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Aquila

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 11:07:14 AM »
Thank you sir

Offline jepstr67

• Wisconsin were the best cars were made.
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • SX/4 The go anywhere sports car.
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 05:58:07 PM »
Or.......on a 258, go get a cast iron intake manifold off of a Gremlin and "back date" your engine to 1970 when there was not a spaghetti farm of vacuum hoses under the hood.  I did that to my 83 CJ8 and I've been a happy camper ever since. Runs like a top. Idles like a champ. NEVER a problem since!!!!

I kept the EGR, PCV, and TAC but all that other junk went in a box on the shelf along with the Carter BBD. I run a Rochester 2G now. I rigged up a direct line from an air pump I added to the catalytic converter to keep it from burning out. That goofy check valve set up never worked and rusted out about twice a year.

I pity anyone who actually has to try to get all that vacuum mess to work correctly. Good luck!
The world BETTER NOT end 12-21-2012.

I have way too many projects started.

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 01:44:42 AM »
Anyone ever done a count of how many feet of what size vacuum hose is needed to redo them all?

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 03:10:37 PM »
Or.......on a 258, go get a cast iron intake manifold off of a Gremlin and "back date" your engine to 1970 when there was not a spaghetti farm of vacuum hoses under the hood.  I did that to my 83 CJ8 and I've been a happy camper ever since. Runs like a top. Idles like a champ. NEVER a problem since!!!!

I kept the EGR, PCV, and TAC but all that other junk went in a box on the shelf along with the Carter BBD. I run a Rochester 2G now. I rigged up a direct line from an air pump I added to the catalytic converter to keep it from burning out. That goofy check valve set up never worked and rusted out about twice a year.

I pity anyone who actually has to try to get all that vacuum mess to work correctly. Good luck!

Haha, I went the other way on the Pacer, except I used a non-computer BBD. It was a way to use parts I happened to have laying around and put a 2bbl on it, plus I think the water cooled/heated manifold is better for the temperature ranges in Pittsburgh. It added a bit of wiring and vacuum hose to the engine, but I put electric fans in too and used the 4" vacuum switch from an Eagle for the overdrive kickdown.

On the topic of lengths I know you'll need about 3'-4' of 3/4" hose for the PCV and brake booster. Distances will be different if you use hard line where the factory did or switch all to soft line.

It would be nice if someone had a kit with the nylon in the factory colors because I don't feel like buying it in huge rolls.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk