News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:04:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Front Brake Upgrade  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Blip Downshift

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
Front Brake Upgrade
« on: February 25, 2022, 09:47:44 AM »
So, I believe I am in the final stretch of my rear disc brake conversion using the stock M15 axle.  So I am looking forward to a possible performance upgrade for the front brakes.  The key to many of the upgrades I've found in suspension, braking, and drivetrain all come from the concept that, while the Eagle has little to zero aftermarket support, AMC used parts from other automakers to keep costs low.  That means, with some dedicated sleuthing, performance parts that fit vehicles using the same or similar configurations may work.   This outlook allowed me to fit a D35 truetrac differential into my M15 diff housing and to a lesser extent fit an early D35 disc conversion (with some modifications) to my M15 axle housings.  I've found a lot of the Eagle community either says it wont work but has also never really tried (if you have, I'd like to hear from you).  It wont be cheap, but nothing good is.  So to start off, I have an 81 Eagle SX4.  The best place to start is with the parts catalogs to see what parts interchange with which vehicles.  The 1980-81 AMC Spirits, Eagles, and Concords all share their front braking calipers and brackets with the Ford F100 pickups.  The late 70's early 80's F100 has almost as little aftermarket support as the Eagle.  Now the 82-88 Eagle shares its front braking components with the 84-90 XJ Cherokee and 86-90ish YJ Wrangler.  There is huge aftermarket support for these vehicles.  So my next questions are; will a 82-88 Eagle brake caliper bracket fit on the 80-81 bracket mount?  Will 82-88 Eagle spindles fit on a 80-81 Eagle?  and will the 82-88 Eagle caliper bracket mount attach to 80-81 spindles?  These are all various options what would make this theoretically possible.  I already bought some cheap ebay parts to try some test fitting and if I can make 82-88 Eagle front brake system work on a 80-81 Eagle there may be something to this.  If these do fit, then I will buy the performance (expensive) caliper bracket from Woodward to see if it will fit.  I will post updates as I find out.  I hope this works.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: Front Brake Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 05:52:17 PM »
Good luck!  Let us know what other parts work with your Eagle!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2022, 11:45:17 PM »
hi, check R1Concepts.com   , they may have drilled/slotted rotors    good luck,  gz

Offline Blip Downshift

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2022, 09:43:30 AM »
amcfool1, I appreciate the advice.  I already own a set of these rotors.

Offline Blip Downshift

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2022, 09:52:51 AM »
Ok, so I bought a front brake caliper bracket from a early YJ Cherokee for test purposes and it doesn't fit my setup at all.  Which I guess was suspected all along.  The mounting holes are much more spaced on the YJ bracket and from what I've seen even more so on the 82-88 Eagle brackets.
 20220226-111327" border="0
20220226-111250" border="0
Here are some pictures of the 80-81 caliber brackets beside a YJ Cherokee bracket.  I've seen pictures (which I not can't find) of the 82-88 Eagle brackets and they do mount to the same caliper but the bracket mounting points look different.  I'm not sure if AMC made completely different caliper brackets for these years or just produced an adapter part to make it work (maybe both).  It looks like the caliper brackets for the 82-88 Eagles are modified to fit on to the Eagle spindle, which looks unchanged from year to year.  I haven't fully verified this yet.  If anyone has any photos of the later Eagles caliper brackets, the mounting points, and more specifically them mounted on the car, I would greatly appreciate it.  The hunt goes on.

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2022, 11:49:50 PM »
Regarding the spindles, the AMC parts books say the same spindle was used from '82 thru '88 (J3240900).   Spindles for the '80 & '81 show different part numbers, so something must have been different on those -- but I don't know what.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7