News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 02:40:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Former Eagle Pilot  (Read 4316 times)

Offline Alastair_M

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
Former Eagle Pilot
« on: October 30, 2015, 04:14:30 PM »
Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster here.

About three years ago at the age of 15 I decided that I wanted nothing more than to drive an Eagle.
I don't know what it was that really made me decide on it, I think it was how unique, fun, and cheap to insure they are.
When we got the old girl, a fully loaded '88, she wasn't in great shape. Took about a year before she was roadworthy, but it was worth it.
I had a lot of memories made in that car, road trips, dates, it was everything that turns "a car" into "my car".

In August this year, I was driving home one night when a deer stepped out in front of me.
I swerved, ending up in the dry ditch (not the worst, nothing in it and the car's got that sweet 4WD).
The car hit a culvert, performing a front flip and sailing (according to the police) about 72 feet, and 23 feet in the air.
No charges were laid (this is Canada, deer are pretty common) but the car and I were both pretty much write-offs (pic related).
Actually, the only thing that saved me was the fact that the car was incredibly sturdy.

Long story short, I'm in the market for a new ride to take over for my old girl, and figured this would be the first place I looked.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Former Eagle Pilot
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 07:55:08 PM »
Holy cow!!!!!!!!!!! Glad you made it out alive.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 08:31:21 PM »
Like eaglefreek said  " HOLY COW !!!!!!!" Looks like you got a bump on your head . Hope all is well and no future complications . I do wonder how something like a Prius would hold up in a crash like that .
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 10:38:27 PM »
Im so glad your able to live to tell us your story.

I think there is enough metal in an eagle to make about 4 or 5 new cars, and your picture proves that there is no sustitute for steel and mass in an accident.

I'm sure a nice one will show up here soon, this is a good group here that will help
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 10:54:50 PM »
Thank god you are alive. That is a wreck! Sturdy cars tho! Unibody strong! Good luck on finding another soon It took forever to get my jaw off the floor looking at the wreck!!!
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 12:40:59 PM »
Finding one north of the 49th parallel that isn't rotted out would be a challenge. I did something very similar to your flip a few years ago with my '73 Jeep J4000 pickup but I swerved to miss a dark horse at night on a gravel downhill switchback . I caught a culvert with my left front tire as I was coming back onto the road and it did a slow motion side spin and roll over.

AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Alastair_M

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 09:37:47 PM »
Yeah. Really what kept me safe is that it was built really well.
It landed on the drivers side roof right at the front, but the pillar supported the entire car weight + the impact.
policeman said that anything newer and it would have crumpled right in, they're just not built as strong these days.

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2022, 05:03:11 PM »
Other than lacking anti lock brakes and traction control, I think old cars such as our favorites are safer and better made than anything new.
I am hoping I can finish fixing mine up for my daughter when she gets her license. Sturdy cars.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 11:33:25 AM by Taylor »
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline IRON HORSE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 47
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2022, 02:16:12 PM »
   WOW .. holy S@%T ... glad you're alive. This is why I don't try to avoid hitting a deer .. I took two deer head on, one in a '76 Hornet wagon and the other in a '83 Eagle .. both at highway speed .. because I had spare Eagles sitting around I was able to get both cars back on the road. Of course the deer were dead, but trying to avoid them sometimes is worst than just hitting the brakes and hoping for the best. So glad to see you made it through what looks like an un survivable accident .. Hope you find a new ride soon .. if you were closer to Maryland, I still have 5 Eagles in my yard.
                                                                                                                                                             Regards: Iron horse  :o
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 01:12:59 PM by IRON HORSE »

Offline Mr_Roboto

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2022, 12:15:22 PM »
:censored:, that's an intro! Glad to see you made it out in mostly one piece. You're young enough that stuff will let you know it's there when you're older. Take care of it best you can now. The car is replaceable, even if it is a headache. You're less so.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk