News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 01:59:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The full XJ to Eagle swap process  (Read 32407 times)

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
The full XJ to Eagle swap process
« on: October 31, 2014, 12:20:04 PM »
The OBD1 Jeep Cherokee XJ is almost a 1 for 1 swap for a lot of parts. Minor modifications have allowed me to use almost all the XJ if I decided to.

With this project being done, I can safely say that I feel 100% that the Eagle was going to have the Jeep drivetrain, or was developed with it in mind. I have no doubt that they took the Eagle body and used it in the development for the XJ. The firewall in the 94 XJ is almost identical to the Eagle, with parts fitting into it like it's supposed to be there. The Eagle is a bit more narrow than the XJ though.

If you are thinking on doing this swap, get a whole XJ with either Renix or OBD1. I went with OBD1 because I got the Jeep on a steal. With OBD2 a lot of the XJ's stuff was changed and there would be a few more problems swapping over, mainly wires and sensors.

I'm still working on this project, it's taken 2 of us (1 a very skill mechanic) about 65 hours so far. We ran into a few problems with it and had to figure them out.

If you are thinking on doing this swap, I hope you have the fabrication skills. There is some fabbing required, such as the driver's side axle bracket, some transmission tunnel cutting and welding, and the transmission mount.

Drivetrain :

Engine/transmission : Oil pickup needs to be adjusted for the Eagle oil pan which needs to be installed onto the motor. Jeep oil pan will not fit over the front axle. The pickup will need to be adjusted a few inches to accomodate this change.

Install with the motor mounts on the engine prior to dropping into the car. I can't stress this enough. Do not put the transfer case on while installing it, do this afterwards. I would take the time right after the engine/trans is installed to size out where the transfer case will be and cut out the rear driver's side corner in order to fit it properly. It may be a bit easier depending on which t-case you go with. The NP242 is a bit beefier than the 231, other transfer cases may vary.

Axle mounts : For my engine, the header is 100% in the way. A bracket was fabbed up to bolt into the driver's side axle housing, then to the control arm (I think). Passenger side isn't an issue.

Transmission mount : Using the exisiting holes and bolts in the car to fab up a mount for the stock XJ mount to sit onto. This also provides a place for the exhaust tubing to fit. Will have pictures of it.

Driveshafts : Front : Most XJ's with a manual transmission will have a front driveshaft that should fit. For my swap a 29" max driveshaft is needed for the front. I am having a rear older XJ driveshaft cut a couple of inches for this.

Rear : a 38.5" driveshaft is needed. If I had a rear Dana 35 I might have gotten away with the stock Eagle driveshaft and the slip off of the XJ rear driveshaft, but the pinion on the Chrysler 8.25 is too long. I have about 1" max travel as it is now. It has been working, but I'll probably buy a Commanche driveshaft and have it cut/balanced.

Transfer Case : To get this to fit we had to cut a section out of the tunnel and fabricate it a bit so the NP242 would fit properly (just made it a bit larger). Might be able to get a NP231 to fit in without a problem, or with a few taps of the hammer on the bottom of the tunnel.

Electrical / Wiring

Battery :  I unbolted the battery tray from the drivers side, drilled holes in the same place on the passenger side and and just extending the battery cable across the engine (or where the headlight wiring strings across). Stock XJ fans are free to do their job, both mechanical and electric, without a problem. Have to do a minor bit of mounting work for the stock electric fan, not much.

Wiring harness : This takes a bit of play. It will fit in the Eagle firewall hole as they are identical in size. You have to remove the driver's side hood hinge and cut a small piece off the top right of the plastic from the wiring harness (doesn't affect it). The computer will be sitting where the charcoal container originally sat. Fuse box mount is ended up where the old ICM sat. Transmission control module is sitting in the passenger side kick panel, the harness allows this so I cut the rubber firwall plugs off the Eagle and XJ, swapped and BAM!

The cruise control vacuum module is sitting where the battery once sat, along with the engine coolant container. The washer fluid container is bolted to the shock tower on the passenger side. I swapped the pumps on the Eagle container to the ones from the Jeep, pumps are the same size but different connectors.

Lights : The rear lights from the XJ socket right into the Eagle spots, no problem except for 1 light on each side that needed to be changed for one of the Eagle rear lights (2 wire splice job). For the brake light switch I cut the small piece of metal that the stock XJ brake light switch was on, welded to the Eagle cruise control vacuum module bracket, and just used that. Fits like a glove.

Heater resistor : I grabbed one from an XJ since I used all the stock XJ wiring. The Eagle one will work if wires are spliced.

Wipers : This took a few minutes to figure out. Splicing wires and leaving 1 off allows almost full use of the XJ wiper options. Matter of fact, I think I have all options.

Rear wiper motor : The wires go from the motor to the front. I'm pulling them up and splicing into the XJ so I can install the XJ button that does the washer and wipers for a cleaner look when installed.

Fuel / Exhaust

Fuel pump :I just took the whole wiring harness that went from the front to the rear in the Jeep (I extended the 3 wires from the fuel pump about 12" ), removed the stock Eagle junk and swapped. Drilled a hole into the floor behind the rear seat, problem solved. The pump itself is another ordeal. I modified the XJ float and "sensor" to the Eagle pump parts, it reads low quite badly.

I have picked up an XJ tank and sender, and will either be refinishing the current Eagle tank (sand blast, repaint, cleaing inside) or attempting to install the XJ tank onto the Eagle. The XJ tank sits lower, about 3", so I may end up finding some diamond plate and fabricating a skid plate. Not sure on which straps to use. May fab up 2 lengths of metal about 6-8" long, put 2 90 degree bends on each end, drill them out and use them to extend the current Eagle straps(mine are almost like new). Much easier than finding an alternate strap to fit.

Fuel lines : was able to make use of the fuel line from the Eagle and one from the XJ (both were new) to make it all work. If you have any doubt about the lines just replace them.

Exhaust : The Cherokee exhaust from the front of the motor to the transmission mount will fit like it was built for the Eagle. It slides like a glove right over the front axle and into the mount notch. From this point just have the pieces made to fit to the muffler. Jeep uses 2 1/4, Eagle uses 2" pipe.

Misc - Steering / Suspension

Steering wheel : If it doesn't have an airbag you are golden. Remove the round bracket at the bottom of the Jeep steering column, remove the rag joint. Pull the rag joint apart, cut a few inches off (I think we did about 4-5") and put it back together. Use the Eagle brackets on the Jeep column (allows for some adjustment). It will slide in like it was meant to be.

Shifters : Transmission shifter slides right into the stock Eagle position perfectly. Just need to cut a long triangle of metal out to cover what's left of the hole and tap a new hole for fitment. For the 4x4 shifter, I cut a small section out to fit in a XJ shifter, but with the 242 it doesn't want to go into 4Low. I might look for a Novak shifter to get it working properly. The 4x4 shifter will be in the way of your leg (gives it something to rest on really). If I order from Novak, I might see if I can move the shifter up a bit so as to not interfere with my leg. Or find a stubbier shifter.

Lines : For some of the lines coming into the car, we removed and drilled some of the stock Eagle stuff. No longer using the air conditioning (was busted) so I remove the copper lines going into the car and we are using that for some of the harness work. For the throttle cable there's a few small fitment bosses on the firewall, we tapped one out and slid it in.

Suspension : Replaced the leaf under the main leaft with an XJ leaf. This boosted the car just a bit above stock with the Monroe 58510 shocks, but it still rides nicely, matter of fact it rides pretty friggen awesome. I am going to replace the bottom Eagle leaf with the XJ leaf and possibly add one above that as well to stiffen it up a bit more. I'm still waiting for my Monroe 5756 shocks for the front and deciding how I want to lift that a little.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 10:22:39 AM by Nightpath »

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
Re: The full XJ to Eagle swap
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 12:20:31 PM »
Reserved
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 09:58:10 AM by Nightpath »

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
Re: The full XJ to Eagle swap
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 12:21:42 PM »
saving this spot too ;)

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
Re: The full XJ to Eagle swap process
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 08:26:33 PM »
Found out tonight that the transfer case (242) will not fit into the trans tunnel without cutting while on the AW4.

Right behind the drivers seat front right bolt it needs to be cut away to make room for it. Not a hard fix, but something to be aware of.

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 10:02:13 PM »
I think eaglefreek has a 242 in his wagon, he probably experienced the same issue.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 10:19:06 AM »
No doubt. If the AW4 was a few inches shorter it would have fit without a problem.

I think it I were to look at this again, I'd think about a head swap and either keeping the 129 or swapping for the 242 and leaving transmission alone.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 11:37:03 AM »
AW4 is 3.5" longer than T5, 9XX or 727.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 05:13:05 PM »
When I measured the aw4 it was closer to 5" longer. But I iirc there were a few updates to the aw4.

I was thinking that the few inches longer transmission and few inches shorter transfer case with the longer 8.25 rear axle would make the difference up between the shower 998/129 and the stock axle.

Hoping it will in the end but I'm having my doubts.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 10:29:22 PM »
I think eaglefreek has a 242 in his wagon, he probably experienced the same issue.
I don't recall having to cut anything, but it's been awhile. I did have to "massage" the tunnel for the speedometer cable. I went through 2 cables before I beat the floor with a hammer.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Billman

• Lurking again
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 06:53:55 PM »
pictures or it didn't happen
1982 SX/4
1983 SX/4
1983 wagonProject
1984 wagon DD
1996 Jeep
2007  Caliber
2004 Silverado

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 12:43:17 PM »
I'll probably use a Sawzall for mine to notch that brace.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 09:43:52 AM »
Minor updates...stepfather just passed away so I've taken a few days hiatus.

Rear driveshaft has to be 39" long at most to fit properly with the Chrysler 8.25. Front driveshaft is going to come from a Grand Cherokee with the V8 (29" long) for proper fitment.

I figure the rear driveshaft will have to be from a Ford Expedition since it's the same length.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 11:40:52 AM »
Not a whole lot of room up front for a regular size driveshaft. Do you think you'll have plenty of clearance with the exhaust?

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 04:08:24 PM »
Yup. Stock XJ exhaust fits like a glove.

We made a bracket that doesn't use the engine to hang from.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 06:29:49 PM »

Cool.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 10:51:19 AM »
Added some more info, hoping to be driving it soon with a few more bits and bobs complete. Some, like the dash, I have good ideas for but may have to wait.

Offline Billman

• Lurking again
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2014, 03:52:29 PM »
I'm still looking for the pics for when I  do the same to an 83 wagon I have a 95 XJ for a full swap. I intend to use the jeep front axle to keep the gear set matched to the transmission. I don't want to change the steering column but everything else is on the to do list.
1982 SX/4
1983 SX/4
1983 wagonProject
1984 wagon DD
1996 Jeep
2007  Caliber
2004 Silverado

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2014, 04:23:22 PM »
The gears won't fit the Eagle diff.

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2014, 12:33:45 AM »

Battery :  I unbolted the battery tray from the drivers side, drilled holes in the same place on the passenger side and and just extending the battery cable across the engine (or where the headlight wiring strings across). Stock XJ fans are free to do their job, both mechanical and electric, without a problem. Have to do a minor bit of mounting work for the stock electric fan, not much.

I am curious as to see how the battery is mounted, as my eagle, and MJ both have the battery on the passenger side. I am also curious as to what you did with the coolant temperature switch that was in the radiator. (at least renix uses one, not sure about the high output 4.0)

was just part of the xj exhaust used on the eagle or was there more used?  Keep up the good work, this is an interesting thread, I am interested in seeing how it turns out, and I also see that this could be useful for a 4.0 swap write-up.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 12:34:08 AM by 1985amceagle »
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2014, 09:56:04 PM »
I used the downpipe right off of the motor, it fits around the front axle / diff nicely and crosses right where the stock Eagle/Jeep would. Since i used the transmission mount from the XJ it even slides in the stock notch for it. After that I made a 45* bend towards the exhaust, about 10" or so straight, then another 45* to go back to the muffler (I put on a Thrush muffler, dear lord it sounds mean).

The battery tray, just unbolt from the passenger side, carry to the driver's side, figure where to drill and mount it. Both sides are identical minus the holes for the tray.

XJ gears won't fit the Eagle diff? Sure looks like they do, considering I've already taken the gears from an XJ and put them in a differential but the pinion is screwed. I think there were 2 different pumpkins for the front of the Eagle, XJ gears fit in some but not others.

Unless you're talking about something else. I am rather tired and about to just glue the :censored: gauges to the f*ing dash and call it a day.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 09:59:26 PM by Nightpath »

Offline Billman

• Lurking again
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2014, 09:58:05 PM »
The gears won't fit the Eagle diff.
I'm planning to change over both axles. Likely to end up with a Franken-car ;D
1982 SX/4
1983 SX/4
1983 wagonProject
1984 wagon DD
1996 Jeep
2007  Caliber
2004 Silverado

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2014, 10:04:17 PM »
I considered it, SFA would be ub3r. I did a dry run with old XJ gears to make sure that what I take out of the front axle of my donor would work, if they didn't I was going to look into a solid axle. Easiest way to do it is find a really small long arm kit and throw it in, or modify an existing one IMO.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2014, 10:50:00 PM »
XJ front diff is high pinion so the gears won't mesh in the low pinion Eagle housing. Could that be the screwed pinion problem?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:51:17 PM by carnuck »

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2014, 12:48:03 PM »
I used the downpipe right off of the motor, it fits around the front axle / diff nicely and crosses right where the stock Eagle/Jeep would. Since i used the transmission mount from the XJ it even slides in the stock notch for it. After that I made a 45* bend towards the exhaust, about 10" or so straight, then another 45* to go back to the muffler (I put on a Thrush muffler, dear lord it sounds mean).

The battery tray, just unbolt from the passenger side, carry to the driver's side, figure where to drill and mount it. Both sides are identical minus the holes for the tray.

XJ gears won't fit the Eagle diff? Sure looks like they do, considering I've already taken the gears from an XJ and put them in a differential but the pinion is screwed. I think there were 2 different pumpkins for the front of the Eagle, XJ gears fit in some but not others.

Unless you're talking about something else. I am rather tired and about to just glue the :censored: gauges to the f*ing dash and call it a day.
thanks for clarifying that, even just a 4.0 swap sounds like it would be doable now. it sounds like a lot would cross over, so its sad that the 87-88 eagles dint get the renix 4.0. it would have made the eagle a whole different animal
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 12:48:18 PM by 1985amceagle »
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2014, 01:33:58 PM »
XJ front diff is high pinion so the gears won't mesh in the low pinion Eagle housing. Could that be the screwed pinion problem?

I'm using the gears from a SX/4 front axle with a few pieces from the XJ, I think the pinion bearing is the piece I need and I already fit one of those in my spare front housing (it'd be loud though)

I thought that there was a discussion about the front differentials that came in the Eagle. I thought there were several different ones. High pinion, low pinion, vacuum and non-vacuum disconnect.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 01:45:30 PM by Nightpath »

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2014, 05:03:23 PM »
Grand Cherokee front diff is low pinion so it would work.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2014, 08:21:04 PM »
IIf all else fails I'll have to spring for a kit to fix it right. With the amount of modified and cobbled on this rig....I think I'm losing my mind lol

Reference this post where I recieved a bit of my information :

http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=21608.0
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 01:51:11 PM by Nightpath »

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2014, 12:02:07 PM »
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2015, 12:11:57 PM »
Took a hiatus from working on the old beast. His garage was nailed by thieves pretty bad and with the holidays we just took a break. Should be back at it soon.

Only things left to do really are the shifters, the VSS or odometer are bad (no speed), fuel reads really low (might be the float in the tank), batten up some of the lines underneath and clean it up a bit. Windshield needs replacing and the rear hatch needs to be resealed. Oil pan gasket is a bit leaky in places as well, probably loosened up with engine testing so I'll have to check the torque on each.

This summer I'll be working on the body and interior panels (remove, sand, repaint with something that actually sticks).

Offline amchornet

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2015, 07:25:27 AM »
Sorry to hear! I am watching your progress cause i am planning a jeep trans with gear swap job.....just planning but its great to get the game pland first. I am courious on your dash project also....very good work
Joe Washburn
1976 hornet sedan 258 4.0 head mpfi
1985 eagle sedan 4.0 mpfi
1998 jeep grand

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2015, 12:41:40 PM »
I have pictures of what I did for the dash (very easily done, still needs a bit of work though). Basically I trimmed the Jeep gauge cluster up pretty well. Removed all the lips and stuff off of it.

For the Eagle dash, I removed the gauge cluster + surround that holds it. I trimmed the shelf a little bit, and removed some of the plastic off of the bottom to make it smooth. For the sides I trimmed part of the half circle off into a straight line, so now the Jeep cluster sits on the bottom lip and aligns with each side of the Eagle surround that I had to cut. 3 screws (bit more than that) for the bottom to hold it and it's in, and looks good. There are open areas at the top and a bit on the sides, but I think some black nylon to cover it and it'll be done.

Looking for a thin sheet of lexan to cover the XJ gauge cluster since the original is curved.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2015, 12:11:49 PM »
OK, here's where I stand on my Eagle.

The big part is done. The 4.0 / AW4 / NP242 are all in. I need to swap the front over to 3.55 + driveshaft, and modify the shifter to work right for 2H/4FT/4PT/N/4Low. Also need the hanger put on the drivers side (blocked by the exhaust that comes off the engine).

The external fuel pump sucks. It does it's job, but the sender in the tank doesnt read the fuel leve. I'm going to order a replacement Eagle tank and find a Cherokee sender + cut the hole out of a XJ tank so I can install it properly.

The interior needs to be installed. Have most of it in. There's a lot of small things that need to find places to live but I'm coming up with some amazing ideas to fit it all in to make it look good. Need better speakers as well so I can drown out the squeaks and rattles that the car makes.

Suspension needs attention. I learned that instead of just swapping out leafs due to sagging, I should have replaced 2 leafs from the Eagle pack with 2 from the XJ then added 1 more to stiffen it up. I'm considering Munroe 58510 shocks for the rear, and the Chevy II shocks for the front.

The door handles started to snap in the horrid weather we've been having, so I'll be replacing these with YJ/TJ half door handles.

Windshield needs to be replaced, and rear window needs to be pulled and resealed. I pulled the trim off and cleaned it..now it leaks lol. Ultimately, I would like to find a seal to replace the chrome around the windshield and rear window like they use in newer vehicles. It'd keep the water out.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2015, 10:24:03 AM »
I cleaned up the original post, and will be adding pictures.

If you have a request let me know. The car is still in the project phase, but the heavy work has been done.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2015, 11:19:12 AM »
I would look at a Dodge Caravan sender/pump assembly. It has adjustable height.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2015, 06:57:00 AM »
Any idea on the years I should look at?

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2015, 07:33:53 PM »
Did you get the shifter from the donor for the t case? I used the one from the ZJ mine came out of. After making the bellcrank fit I realized that the shifter bracket on the case could probably be flipped the other way and eliminate some parts.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2015, 03:58:47 PM »
I discovered that too with the Eagle and FSJ linkage.  On the fuel sender, I'd say pre '96. Later XJs use a similar pump setup.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2016, 10:48:15 PM »
Finally got it up and running with the modified XJ tank and XJ fuel sending unit. Yay!

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2016, 01:01:30 PM »
Congrats!  :occasion14: :hello2:
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2016, 02:33:20 PM »
Still needs work, such as paint, the interior trim needs to be sanded down and repainted as well. Some wiring too...and welding, but the big stuff is done.

Offline el-camino

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 32
    • holiday in sweden
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2018, 06:15:11 PM »
hi all
old thread but for me are actualy  :)
when you use the XJ harness, what you doing with the security alarm system ?
will it start or not ?
or must i do some bypasses ?
thanks for your help
the next days i will open a new thread with a lot of pics
fulls swap SX4
greets from Sweden
Klaus

www.forneby-hill.com

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2018, 10:35:13 PM »
ZJs have security alarms. Most XJs do not

Offline el-camino

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 32
    • holiday in sweden
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2018, 02:04:52 PM »
ok, but my harness from a 91 XJ have one, take a look on this picture
https://photos.app.goo.gl/at1KwmIy89WGvkqc2
greets from Sweden
Klaus

www.forneby-hill.com

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2018, 04:07:49 PM »
I forgot your parts rig wasn’t a US or Canadian one. That security setup was why I gave up putting the ‘93 ZJ harness in my ‘84 J10 with the 4.0L swap.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2018, 10:34:32 PM »
There are threads on Jeep forums that deal with this exact issue. I believe they you can ground a wire and it gets rid of the whole issue.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2018, 01:34:43 PM »
Since I've completed most of the car I've had to adjust and modify a few things.

IMPORTANT : If you do the swap and use an XJ fuel tank do NOT get the extended range tank. Stay with the stock sized XJ tank, no sender I've used has worked properly and these were ones meant for the extra sized tank.

I have an old YJ rear driveshaft cut to fit the front end. Flawless

I've had to adjust/cut/weld the front hangars for the axle. I suggest NOT cutting them at all, if you add in new springs and they end up ramming the Eagle into the air and the lower control arms hit the frame wait : The springs will relax and sag.

I changed the rear to an 8.25 then to a Dana 35 with TracLock. Miles better feel to the vehicle now, but I need a custom rear driveshaft made. I will be getting one made as soon as I remove some of the old leaves in the rear pack and replace them with much more sturdy leaves.

I have not figured out how to adapt the XJ A/C into the Eagle yet which has been miserable this summer.

There is more that has been done since, but I can't recall right now.

Offline thammerman

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2018, 10:55:41 PM »
This is an amazing thread. Much of the info is useful for a 4.0 swap with similar parts. Would an xj exhaust manifold  work with the stock eagle motor and axle mounts or do the mounts need fabbing no matter what? Also could the wiper wiring be used with just a head and efi swap? I’m trying to pimp my eagle with an xj without swapping the 4.2 out.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2018, 07:22:03 PM »
The whole XJ exhaust can be used, but where the mount his onto the engine it may need to be heated and massaged to clear.

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2018, 06:39:54 PM »
I had a 4.0 head put onto my stock Eagle engine, and used the Cherokee "header" style exhaust manifold.  They had to heat it up and bang on it with a hammer to make it all fit but it did.
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk