News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:53:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PCV Modification/Upgrade  (Read 10708 times)

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
PCV Modification/Upgrade
« on: January 02, 2012, 08:56:56 PM »
My 258 always seemed to have too much blowby, it would blow the oily fumes into the air cleaner. This would cause the air filter to get all oily and dirty, and eventually there would be oil puddles in the air cleaner.  One solution is to use the Envalve, but that costs $58. My solution was to take the normal pcv valve, and cut the very bottom of it off, and remove the valve components on the inside. This keeps a constant vacuum on the crankcase. I then took an and old air injection check valve and put it on the breather line so that the crankcase holds the vacuum, but if there is a time when the vacuum drops too low, it will still be able to vent the pressure. So far it's been working, the air filter has been staying clean, and my acceleration has improved.  Also, thanks to JayRamb who provided with some answers about his experience with the envalve.

Here's a pic of the check valve setup.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 09:40:39 PM by ammachine390 »
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

68AMXGOPAC

Re: PCV Modification/Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 09:32:51 AM »
Interesting - good idea - and such. What was Jayramb's prognosis of the N-valve ??I had been considering one. Now I wonder if I have a air system check valve around.......... thanks.

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 10:38:27 AM »
AFAIK, JayRamb was very satisfied with the Envalve. I think the check valve might be leaking some vacuum, but it's very minimal (almost like a regular pcv valve would pull fresh air in) but I might take it off and see it how it works without the valve and just have the system totally sealed.  When the crankcase is totally sealed, and the engine is idling pulling about 21 inches of vacuum, the crankcase would hold a steady 8 inches, even while accelerating the engine. I never got the crankcase close to presurized, so I think the check valve may be unnecessary, I put it on as a "just in case" while testing. So far, it looks like it has never had to vent.
Dan

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 01:28:38 PM »
Nice alternative cheap solution! I run two pcv valves in my I6's (er, well, ok, in Eaglegirls 258, and my 4.0, lol), hers and mine had some excess pressure too, some problem has ceased.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 07:03:52 PM »
Here's a pic of how I cut the pcv valve to allow constant flow.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 10:06:27 PM by ammachine390 »
Dan

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 02:18:52 AM »
UPDATE:

The check valve does not appear to leak any vacuum, so the crankcase in completely sealed.

Drove the car on the highway at speeds 65 mph and higher for about an hour. Engine was always above 2000 rpm, and I don't think the crankcase ever had to vent excess pressure as the air filter was completely clean. Gas mileage was a little higher than 20.3 mpg.
Dan

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
  • Ohh look, its an angry Eagle.
    • old betsy
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 10:50:33 PM »
Whats an envalve and why is it $58
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 11:45:37 PM »
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
  • Ohh look, its an angry Eagle.
    • old betsy
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 12:16:26 AM »
So I don't get it it still does exactly what a pcv does now......doesn't it?
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 12:27:54 AM »
A properly working PCV system should allow a small amount of vacuum to the crankcase, so that it pulls in just a very small amount of fresh air through the breather tube.

My car had more blowby than the PCV system could handle. Instead of fresh air being drawn in through the breather tube, oily blowby gasses were being pushed out, which would make the air filter all oily and dirty very quickly, and sometimes there would be puddles of oil in the air cleaner. This seems to be a common problem on a lot of 258s.

My solution puts the crankcase under constant vacuum. I closed off the breather hose by putting the check valve in, so no fresh air enters the crankcase anymore. If the line were left open, it would cause a large vacuum leak.

Jeep 4.0s used a system called CCV, where they used a metering orifice in a a vacuum elbow to put vacuum on the crankcase, however, the CCV system, has a breather hose that is always open to the atmosphere.

In the end, all 3 do the same thing, just differently. They are all used to pull blowby vapors from the crankcase.
Dan

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2020, 11:03:28 PM »
I ended up going for a slightly different solution to allow vacuuming off any positive pressure from blowby that otherwise would have built up.
  • For fresh air, a separate air filter that fits in the front valve cover hole. Immediately, extreme blowby can't build up as it would escape out this filter. Any oil from extreme blowby would foul this air filter, not your carb air filter.
    (I'd prefer some sort of clear line going to the air cleaner so I can see if there's blowby oil getting into it, with an upside-down goose-neck to keep that oil out of the air cleaner. But I haven't gone looking for that yet.)
  • To pull air out, instead of a PVC valve at the front, a plastic elbow at the rear, #47057, that has a hugely reduced hole to limit vacuum pull. So no PVC valve that can get stuck.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 04:13:32 PM by Canoe »

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2020, 06:06:00 PM »
I did the same thing. Worked pretty good. (apparently never changed the oil, it smelled burnt and was black when I first changed it). I definitely have a fair amount of blow by. The filter breather I placed at the front gets quite oily and when driving at freeway speed I get oil running down the valve cover from it. Not sure yet what I will do about what I hunk is excessive wear. 🤔
Will figure it out when I pull the Head!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 07:13:09 PM by Taylor »
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline charlie D

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2020, 01:37:22 PM »
Been reading what you have done to get the PCV working well. I am sorting thru my very stock Eagle 258 now. I had a bad valve cover leak, common problem, and in the process of removing the valve cover have started to go thru the emissions system. There is a switch with a "T"  connected to the vacuum hose from the front PCV and then the "t" connection goes to the carb. I am thinking that I should just eliminate the switch and go straight to the carb. But what else is linked to that electrical switch? Then there is the rear PCV that goes to the air cleaner. Why not just put an oil breather on that? I don't have oily air cleaner so blow by not an issue. I did find the PCV hose leading to the switch was kinked closed so it could not have done much and maybe caused the pressure to build up enough to make a failing valve cover gasket leak worse. Suggestions please.
Charlie D

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2020, 02:37:20 PM »
That "switch" may be the original PCV solenoid.  It was there to shut off the PCV flow at idle.   AMC had a recall that did away with that solenoid and replaced the hose with one that had an orifice in it.   Maybe your car never had the recall performed on it!
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline charlie D

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2020, 06:49:24 AM »
Thanks! Very interesting. I get to complete a 34 year old recall! So if I dead head that solenoid connection, there are no other electrical consequences, right?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk