News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 06, 2024, 10:06:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Priya's SX/4 project  (Read 338841 times)

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
Re: Priya's SX/4 project
« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2009, 07:59:24 PM »
Carolyn can, if she really wants too.   Of course I can manage eggs from behind the scenes -- if I really wanted/needed too.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #91 on: May 31, 2009, 05:32:49 PM »
Oh..so as not to derail the thread....the work on this car by Priya is just tremendous and I am truly looking forward to seeing and rooting her on to completion!!   GO PRIYA, GO PRIYA!!!  :)

-Tim

Here I go Tim and Mudkicker!  Here I go! 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 12:39:32 PM by priya »

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2009, 09:32:22 PM »
The next area I replaced was the part of the quarter panel between the rear wheel and the door, that's it in the top half of this picture from an earlier stage of work.

Here's the area after the rusty/damaged metal was removed and prepped for welding:

Here's the replacement panel I made.  It may not look like much but it was particularly tough to do because its subtly curved including a compound curve at the top which transitions to a flat area at the bottom. There's also compound curves on both the left and right edges so I couldn't simply use the sheet metal brake to do those, they had be formed by hand very slowly. It took me about 12 hours to form this believe it or not.  It turns out a carpenter's hammer was ideal for gradually stretching the metal to create the compound curve

And here it is welded in.  I struggled with this piece because even after all the time I spent forming it it still wasn't quite right and I had to force it into place to match the existing body lines.  To do the top edge I had to put a 2X4 between the panel and my chest, lean into it, and tack weld it into place.  Despite this still I didn't get a perfectly flush weld - I must have relaxed before it cooled or when I filled in between the tacks the heat allowed the edge to move.  The top edge wasn't too bad despite this, the worst part was the panel warped at some point and now there's too much of a bulge on the left side where it should be mostly flat.  At some point, maybe after I weld in the outer rocker, I'll take the oxy-acetylene torch to it and shrink that side a bit and it should come back mostly into place.  As it sits it'll probably take a little over 1/8 inch of body fill to get the proper contours and although it can be up to 1/4 inch thick I like to try to get it so I need less than 1/8 inch of body fill on any exterior panel.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 11:50:10 PM by priya »

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #93 on: June 10, 2009, 06:47:30 AM »
Excellent Job.   Yes, that piece would be hard to form.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #94 on: June 10, 2009, 06:56:19 AM »
 I have a parts SX/4 that I will unfortunetly probably be cutting up soon,I am wondering if there are any "patch" panels I may be able to cut out of it if you needed them.

Offline Route 66 Rambler

• American Muscle Conspiracy #000001
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 47
  • Time Travel in the Sonoran Desert
    • Route 66 Rambler AMC
« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2009, 10:51:18 AM »
Hey, I just realized I can't give myself Good Eggs.  Now how will I ever get any more? ???

That's ok, jim, I just gave you one.

priya, I am very impressed with the amount of work done on this machine.  Your project makes mine look like a walk in the park.

mike
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 12:28:30 PM by Route 66 Rambler »
Nashin' and Thrashin'
1966 Rambler American 343 Convertible
1981 Eagle Kammback- Kactus Kammster

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #96 on: June 10, 2009, 12:12:08 PM »
Thanks Mike and Iowa Eagle.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 01:07:07 PM by priya »

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #97 on: June 10, 2009, 12:19:23 PM »
I have a parts SX/4 that I will unfortunetly probably be cutting up soon,I am wondering if there are any "patch" panels I may be able to cut out of it if you needed them.

The only one I could possibly use would be would be the inner wheel well area as you can see in the first two pictures of my post #99, but that area is unlikely to be in very good shape on your SX/4 and would be a big hassel to cut out as it ties into the floorboards, inner rocker, outer rocker, and rear quarter panel.  Other than that, except for a small area on the rear of the quarter panel that looks pretty easy to form all I have left to put on is the outer rocker panels and I formed those back in September of last year when I cut the old outer rocker panel off.  Thanks for asking though.

Offline timsamc

• Timsamc
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #98 on: June 10, 2009, 10:03:49 PM »
Priya, you are just amazing and so inspiring!   :)   Take more pictures this weekend if you get the chance....maybe even an "all over" shot so we can see a semblance of the "overall" status of how she's coming?   Thank you for your compliments on my SX/4....they are all our cars collectively in "Spirit"!   :)   Rock on!
-Tim
A mind is like a parachute.  It works best if it's open!

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #99 on: June 10, 2009, 11:32:13 PM »
Thanks Tim!  I'll see what kind of overall pictures I can get, it might be tough because the garage is pretty tight and packed with stuff and the hoist is also in the way, but I'll see what I can do.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #100 on: June 11, 2009, 09:16:16 PM »
Here's a surprise I found hiding under the rear bumper corner:

I would have normally been putting in the outer rockers, but I figured I'd better mount the driver's door first and check the alignment of the bodywork to this point before I weld in the outer rockers and make it permanent.  I have to wait until the weekend to do that when my husband can help so I decided to fix this bit behind the rear wheel first.  Here it is prepped for welding:

And here's the rather simple patches - didn't take long to put the simple curves in these:

Here it is after I welded them in.  Hopefully back to the outer rocker after this:

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #101 on: June 11, 2009, 09:19:47 PM »
Little surprises behind every corner.  Another good job.  Maybe simple curves for you, for me probably complex.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #102 on: June 12, 2009, 12:31:02 PM »
Thanks Iowa Eagle.  Yes, there were a lot of surprises hiding under the plastic body cladding.

My hubby came home from work yesterday, snuck into the garage and took a picture of me welding.  I was reluctant to post it because I've gained a lot of weight in the past few years and the winter work suit doesn't help, but he convinced me it was a good picture and said none of the guys at his work could weld as well as me.  It was 70 outside yesterday, but only 50 in the garage so I wear a winter work suit because I really hate being cold.  The hoist is a wonderful piece of equipment for doing bodywork, it gets everything to eye level instead of forcing you to lay on the ground.  The last time I did bodywork laying on the ground it gave me severe neck pains and I was laid up for several days.  It was so bad, that at night I couldn't lift my head to change sleeping positions so I had to grab my hair and lift my head with my arm to turn it or the pain was overwhelming. Anyway, so here I am in all my plus size glory.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #103 on: June 12, 2009, 12:39:17 PM »
I am glad he took a picture of a true Eagle artist at work.  You know, we have this book I am still working on, and ...

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline timsamc

• Timsamc
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #104 on: June 12, 2009, 12:41:45 PM »
The ONLY plus here, is PLUS 1 egg!!  For sharing and being brave enough to post your photo despite your own misgivings!  You look just fine!  Honest!  Your SX/4 is coming along nicely!  

I truly think that you will have one of the ONLY TRULY rust free Eagles around by the time you are done!   Every square inch of your car will have been gone over and combed through, so even though there are many struggles, and MUCH time put into your car, you will truly have a really, solid platform to work from when all is said and done!  

Good luck this weekend working on her!   :)
-Tim
A mind is like a parachute.  It works best if it's open!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk