News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 09:06:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Leaking Oil Pan Plug  (Read 4184 times)

Offline DIREWOLF

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Alaskan Girl - 82 AMC Eagle SX/4 Sport Fan
Leaking Oil Pan Plug
« on: June 29, 2017, 01:34:17 PM »
Hi all,
So I finally got my girl back from the shop for the major repairs. Now its time for me to tinker with her and get her tip top again.
My oil pan plug is leaking pretty bad, and I'm looking for suggestions to remedy this issue...

Also, this car has been sitting for years and I have no idea any of her history, but I do know her engine and everything is covered in oil and I would like to get her cleaned up so I can check for leaks and such. I know shes gonna need some gaskets but I cant for the life of me see which ones at this time cause shes so covered in filth. She smokes pretty bad after getting hot as well, which I'm sure is from all the excess oil and cob webs... Haha
Any suggestions for getting her cleaned up?
I was thinking Super Clean and a pressure washer... But don't wanna get water where there shouldn't be any.. :)

Thanks in advance. :eagle:
82 AMC Eagle SX/4 Sport

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
Re: Leaking Oil Pan Plug
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 01:52:56 PM »
oil plug gaskets are available at parts places, a good pressure wash shouldn't hurt, but cover carb and dist and disconnect battery, good luck, gz

Offline DIREWOLF

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 01:59:36 PM »
Awesome, thank you.
I was reading about all these different kits to re-thread / bore out the plug hole which I really don't want to do...
A gasket sounds like a better plan to me....

Thanks again.
82 AMC Eagle SX/4 Sport

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 03:54:34 PM »
. But don't wanna get water where there shouldn't be any.. :)
 If you drive in the rain, water gets splashed everywhere under the hood so pressure washing won't hurt. I take mine to the car wash about 2 times a year . The only issue I've had is moisture in the dist .cap .  Pull the cap dry it out and on the road again. Check your valve cover bolts . Especially at the rear under the washer motor. They will loosen after time and cause a good leak .
[/quote]
[/quote]
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 11:37:21 PM »
hi, if your car still has it's original plastic valve cover, it's s really good idea to get a new aluminum one, available at most Jeep places like 4WD hardware, Quadratec, etc. The best cover is from PML, in California, check out www.yourcovers.com, P/N 8656, expensive, but will be the last one you will ever need, also the easiest to install. More Eagles have been lost due to catching fire from leaks from that plastic valve cover than anything else. good luck, gz

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 08:58:41 AM »
they also make tighter fitting oil pan plugs I had to get one for mine and it had a gasket on it
find them at any auto parts by the oil filters
don't remember but think it was 1/2"-20 TPI

Offline DIREWOLF

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 10:43:41 AM »
Thanks for the advise everyone. I have a four day weekend ahead of me that I'm going to spend time tinkering with this ol'girl. I went and checked out those valve covers, and they are expensive, especially with shipping to Alaska. But I know it will be worth it in the long run. I'm going to get her cleaned up and be sure to watch out for all the suggested "don't get wet zones". Thanks for the tips. I got a drain plug gasket yesterday but might get an over sized plug as well. Don't want to have to deal with this again. Haha

Thanks again everyone.
:)
82 AMC Eagle SX/4 Sport

Offline DIREWOLF

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 12:05:18 AM »
Hey everyone,
So it turns out the oil drain plug is stripped. And it's already the over sized plug too.  :banghead:
So other than trying to find a new oil pan, I was looking into the Time-Sert and Helicoil options. My plug says it's 1/2-0 on it.
Anyone got an opinion regarding these repair kits? Which is the better option and why?
My ol'girl is parked until I can get this fixed. Which really :censored: me off cause now I can't take her in to get her alignment and new tires tonorrow.   >:(

Thanks in advance.
82 AMC Eagle SX/4 Sport

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 07:54:13 AM »
hi, sorry, never done this fix, but a good shop should be able to. plug should be 1/2-20. Just fyi, the Eagle uses an Eagle specific oil pan, which is not available new. A pan from a car , or Jeep 258 will NOT work, also, replacing a pan on an Eagle is a MAJOR job. good luck, gz

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 09:28:32 AM »
I've seen some rubber expansion oil plugs before, that might be a quick fix that will hold you for awhile.  Good luck, as amcfool1 says, Eagle oil pans are needed for Eagles.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline DIREWOLF

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 08:48:32 PM »
Thanks Guys,
I picked up a Helicoil today and plan to get that sucker installed when I get home from work. I did a little research and yeah, its a pain to swap an oil pan on an eagle.
Do yall know if all the eagle oil pans are the same or if they differ from year to year or model to model? I haven't found any SX/4's in my area yet, but lots of wagons. But I'm unsure the compatibility of parts between the years and models...

:)
82 AMC Eagle SX/4 Sport

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 09:09:22 AM »
as long as it's the same size engine the oil pans will be the same they all have pretty much the same drive train

Offline abzman

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 01:07:52 PM »
I'm thinking of replacing mine with one of these: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/ep/oilsystems_oildrain/safOilDrainValves.php

has a hose barb for draining into a bucket with no spill (cover with boot while driving), and tool-less so no more stripped threads.  I'd want to de-gunk the engine and drop the pan to make sure there's no big chunks first but after that it should be smooth sailing. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk