News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 10:26:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Welding Transfer Case  (Read 4115 times)

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
Welding Transfer Case
« on: April 09, 2016, 06:00:40 PM »
I removed the rear case & retainer as a unit. The case was leaking - not the retainer. They both have hair line cracks but the retainer concerns me. It is cracked inside & out at the speedometer inlet. It goes all the way onto the outer lip of the mating surface but not the mating surface itself. Interesting the factory did not apply sealer to the mating surfaces - only 1/8  inch around the circumference on the inside lips. I’m not sure a good welder would want this job. Any thoughts appreciated.
1976 gremlin
pair of 1983 SX4's sports
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Welding Transfer Case
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 06:27:58 PM »
I doubt it. The metal sounds like it is stressed. Most likely it crack again. Any idea on the cause of the crack? Any bad vibrations?

Manitowoc WI

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 04:56:10 PM »
No problem with the way it sounds & drives. It sits mostly -  actually only 24K original miles on an "83 isn't a lot. Gaskets start to leak however. I see a lot of fellows dismantle Transfer Cases etc. & am wondering if they come across stress cracks & how much of a  concern it is?
1976 gremlin
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 07:36:12 PM »
I have torn apart cases. I never seen what your describing, or cracks at all.  I even broke the chain offroading. No cracks to the case.

Manitowoc WI

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 11:57:48 AM »
It surprises me that you haven't come across any stress cracks. The aluminum is very light weight so I wasn't shocked about it. If cracks are not common to see then maybe there are good spare parts available out there. I'm going to check today to see if I can see any in the front case.
1976 gremlin
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 06:13:44 PM »
I had a 229 crack on me.

1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 02:30:38 PM »
Your cracks look similar to mine. The Front Case looks good on mine. Yesterday I tried a dry fit of the Rear Case onto the Front. Wouldn't you know it many parts fell out. I had to read the TSM to see what I was doing. The Rear Output Shaft, Roller Bearings & Coupler all came out. I'm having a tough time getting the Shaft & Bearings past the Main Shaft O-Ring on to the Main Shaft. The Bearings are no problem but I'm wondering if the O-Ring has swelled enough not to allow it.
1976 gremlin
1946 Cushman step-thru

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk