News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:54:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Battery not charging, no battery light HELP  (Read 5433 times)

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
Battery not charging, no battery light HELP
« on: March 19, 2016, 08:28:32 PM »
I know i have this post somewhere else, but I want to start over again, the eagle sat all winter and now I'm back at it trying to get it to run again

Heres my issues

1.the battery won't charge, I removed the ALT, took it for a bench test, came back good.
2. Battery Light does not turn on with key on, (I don't think its blown, because it worked before, and then not work then work, ECT)
3. There are three wires on the ALT, the big red one to the battery, a small red one that goes to the same post the Big red wire goes, and a orange and black wire, that changes to a orange and white wire correct?

4. Starter questions, Is it normal for the car to not turn over, just hooked up with jumper cables? I didn't have a charged battery so i just hooked the posts up to jumper cables and jumped the solenoid and I could only hear the solenoid and the starter didn't run, Benched tested that, worked fine.

This wiring has kicked my  :censored: for 3 years now, I really want to drive this thing.

finally Im changing my battery cables over to 2 gauge, where in the world do I get a 2 gauge crimp connected crimped? I don't have a big enough crimper.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Battery not charging, no battery light HELP
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 10:24:46 PM »
6ou need to have a working alt light for the charging system to work.

Manitowoc WI

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 02:02:44 PM »
hi, I made my own 2awg batt cables last year. you can get the cable ends , in any style online, or even locally, I think I got mine from Fastenall. To crimp them, if you don't have the tool, find a local old school auto mechanic, or a small machine shop that has the tool. I got mine crimped by a buddy in the maint. dept on the job, so i was lucky to not have to buy the tool. good luck, gz

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 02:25:19 PM »
6ou need to have a working alt light for the charging system to work.

I know, thats why I'm trying to figure out, why it doesn't, its not blown.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 06:04:04 PM »
Bulb in the dash and/or the 10 ohm resistor in the on/off circuit of all GM 10si alternators. Main terminal needs to be live ALL the time the battery is hooked up. Ground cable to the engine block from the battery negative also needs to go to the frame/body and the battery posts/clamps must be clean and shiny (grey paste is lead oxide, which blocks power flow).

Test the 2 prong side field plug. One with be live all the time and read battery voltage. The other goes off/on with the key. You can hook a 194 bulb to a toggle switch across the 2 wires. With the key on, resistored power HAS to be at the second terminal. Straight 12V power without a resistor will feedback and keep the motor running. You can do a quick jumper with the light, which will come on and then go off when you rev the motor slightly. If it's right, it will charge until you shut the key off or too much power drain will shut the regulator off till you do it again.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 12:42:10 AM »
I poked my self int he eye, spend the last few days blind and going to the eye doctor, so I'm back now lol

The two prong plug, the red wire is connected directly to the battery cable post, then the orange wire, is connected to the car,  Im supposed to have power on that orange wire as well? I thought in my AMC book it keeps telling me to ground the orange wire to see if the light lights up?

ok, let me see if I understand this I'm terrible at electrical things.

take a bulb, and connect it between the red and orange wire on the two prong plug? do I leave the orange wire going into the car, or do i totally disconnect it?

I almost need baby talk when it comes to me and wiring, I tried looking at my finances fathers 83 jeep with the 258, but someone redid that so nice, no wires like we have in the eagle, starter with solenoid on it, and only one wire going to it .

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 12:44:52 AM »
If you leave it hooked up and forget, it will drain the battery or it won't shut off. Probably burn out the internal voltage regulator after sitting an hour or so not running.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 03:54:21 PM »
oh no i won't leave it hooked up, I'm was clarifying i just need to hook a bulb between the two wires, so the red wire and the orange wire? the one that hooks to battery voltage and the one that goes inside the dash? do I disconnect it from the wiring harness or do i just tap into the wires and jump them?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk