News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 18, 2024, 10:00:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New dui  (Read 3552 times)

Offline Sandeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • 86 sedan 84 wagon
New dui
« on: January 06, 2016, 11:42:17 AM »
Just got the performance distributor dui and am about to do the install. New 8mm live wires from same place. Gap plugs to .045. The only difference I see in the installation info is where to pull the 12 volts from. Some say a new wire from selinoid and some from the yellow wire going into the icm. I also would like to put a toggle switch and push button to start the car from under the hood.toggle on to start or toggle off to just crank,I do most work on my own so it is a pain to do. Dist. Is tuned to 24 degrees advance at 3000 rpms. reset timing with car warm and to 9 degrees btdc at sea level, I live on an island so you can't get closer to sea level unless you are under water. Also I can't find a vacuum gauge for under $70.00 to mount inside the eagle,any suggestions?

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
Re: New dui
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 01:21:42 PM »
hi summitt is having a sale, Sunpro boost/vac gauge for only$3. #cp8203
. Advance/ autozone have vac gauges for around $25-30. Or, are you asking about a Vacuum Pump? if so, the Actron or Mitivac brands start at about $39. at Advance or Harbor Freight. gz

Offline Sandeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • 86 sedan 84 wagon
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 11:26:04 AM »
D.U.I. Is in,one small problem, I can't get the timing right because the vacuum advance is hitting the block. I've read that I can set #1 plug to where ever I want on the distributor as long as one of the terminals is in the #1 plug position it doesn't matter. She still starts right up. I pulled 12 volts from the starter relay because the yellow wire going into the ICM dropped to 9.75 or so during cranking,no good. I think she is timed to about 6 degrees BTDC but the degree marker is covered in grease. Is each mark on the advance gauge 1 degree or 2 and how hard is it replace the timing gauge if it brakes off. Had that happen once,it sucked. Thanks for the help.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 01:35:55 PM »
I pulled 12 volts from the starter relay because the yellow wire going into the ICM dropped to 9.75 or so during cranking,no good.

Which terminal on the starter relay did you use?  Thanks.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Sandeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • 86 sedan 84 wagon
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 02:31:23 PM »
The one with two wires off it. Mine must be a replacement, there is no I or S like there should be. Key on one had 12 v one didn't,I used that one. Sorry I can't be more specific. I just took her out for a ride and she runs great !! Used the champions that where in her regaped to .045. I had to twist the distributer one plug terminal and switch the plug wires one spot back. Started almost right back up, had to get out and turn it once to get it to run before she would start. If each  point on the indicator is one degree I am at 8 BTDC and my timing chain is good.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 04:34:50 PM »
Thanks!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Sandeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • 86 sedan 84 wagon
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 02:02:54 PM »
Your welcome , it looks like the computer and the engine wiring harnesses are two separate looms. There is a plug connecting the two sides of the harness. Does the ignition or starter go into the computer and out to start the car? I guess I could unplug the computer and try to start her..??

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk