News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 19, 2024, 07:55:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can't kill my engine (even if I really want to) ;)  (Read 12473 times)

Offline LaGuardia

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 26
  • Now, that's what I call a ride !
    • Armati e Responsabili (sorry, only Italian)
Re: Can't kill my engine (even if I really want to) ;)
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 11:17:18 AM »
Maybe...
I think it's worth one look, thank you, I completely forgot about the ignition switch... I focused on what is under the hood ;)

Anyways, the new solenoid has arrived (I love Rockauto, they shipped from Indiana on july 21 and it arrived here - Rome, Italy! this evening).

I'll replace the old one, and do the whole check. I'll keep you updated, thank you again !
"Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear".
Oh, really ? I guess that's why I need BOTH rear bumper corner caps now. Doh !

1981 4.2 Eagle Wagon LTD (Daily Driver)
2003 Toyota RAV4 (Wife's Car)
1985 Plymouth Gran Fury (Endless Project Car)
1997 Alfa Romeo GTV V6 TB (Not Running Now)
1994 Honda Helix CN250 (My Beloved Scooter)
1975 Honda 500 FourK (Can't Remember Where I Left It)
1985 Moto Guzzi California II 1.000 (New Entry)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2014, 03:15:10 PM »
It sounds like the I and S terminals are swapped. Not enough power in the resistor wire to keep the solenoid engaged.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline LaGuardia

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 26
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 05:15:02 AM »
Ok, solved !
Thank you all for your suggestions, it was easier than I thought. The "new" solenoid was just shot (again)...
AND, the neutral switch is gone, too... the two things happened at the same time, causing much more trouble than they were supposed to, if taken separately...

Anyways, new solenoid (this time made in USA - the last one was from China), additional direct ground wire, and everthing is fine again !

Completely OT pic below, but hey, that's me and my Eagle ! ;)

Offline LeesSummitEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 08:47:25 PM »
I have also had the exact same problem with the key off not killing the engine. I also did the same thing and by accident hit the start with engine running. You are right, it does make a horable noise. It has happened to me several times and very intermittent. I got the engine stopped by opening the hood and slaming it closed. The engine stopped. If it happens again, i will ckeck the starter sol.

Offline 88formula

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2015, 01:24:27 PM »
This doesn't add up.....

The nuteral switch and the starter solenoid are part of the starting circuit. There shouldn't be any reason that ether one would keep the engine running.... if it's a manual transmission, the solonoid is grounded to the body. If it's auto it comes in to the nuteral switch and grounds through that. Power is supplied to the s terminal from the ignition switch. Next circuit is the coil power. It comes from the ignition power in the run position only. And is a resistor wire to the starter relay, then to the coil. The starter relay SHOULD HAVE NO effect on the power to the coil in the run position. Start the car and unplug it. No difference.  Then when you turn the key to the start otion, no per goes through the resistor wire from the switch,  it gets full battery voltage from the solonoid I Terminal to the coil.
The last circuit is the easy one.  When the key is in start position and the solonoid winding is energized, Power goes from the battery, through the solonoid and to the starter motor.

It's a long shot, but the only way I could see the solonoid causing the continued to run issue is if the plunger inside was Jammed part way, ONLY supplying power to the I terminal. But the only time I've seen a solonoid jam, the starter was running until you disconnected the battery.
Ps. The starter engaging while the engine is running is a terrible sound, BUT NOTHING MAKES YOU PANIC LIKE A STARTER THAT DOESN'T STOP STARTING WHEN YOU LET GO OF THE KEY!!! :o

Offline Sandeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • 86 sedan 84 wagon
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2015, 05:09:51 PM »
I get some weirdness in starting and shutdown when I wiggle the key in the ignition and ignition in the column. All kinds of strange stuff happens!! Radio stayed on headlights stayed on and the buzzer didn't come on.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2015, 02:34:19 AM »
Starter nose bushing that is worn out or low battery can cause the solenoid contacts to weld themselves and keep cranking.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline LaGuardia

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 26
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2016, 11:54:55 AM »
OH, NO, Not Again ! ;)

Hi everybody, long time no see, happy to find you all again here !

Facing an "old-new" issue with my starting system, I'm afraid this time I know the answer but I'm writing about it just in case somebody pops up with a miracle solution...

To make a long story short, turning the ignition key results sometimes in actually starting the engine (starter running great and fast as it should, engine firing up perfectly), sometimes in a strange buzzing sound from the solenoid and nothing else, sometimes in a single loud "click" from the starter motor and... well... nothing else.

This has been going on for a couple of months, at first the success percentage was quite high, I didn't bother messing up with wires, but now the engine starts one time out of 20-30 tries. And that's no good. Today I had to leave the car at work and walk home...

It's the "loud click and nothing else" case. The battery is brand new (the old one was shot anyway, I bought a new one hoping it was its fault) and fully charged, but when I turn the key I just get the click (which is more like a CLUNK!) and if I try again, the wire going from the solenoid to the starter gets really hot (the plastic seems to be melting) and it actually smokes. I tried jumping the solenoid with the same result. The voltmeter drops to zero, all lights go off, nothing, zero.

Shot starter ? I'm really afraid of it: it's not a really expensive thing, I know, but I have the same old problem... here in Italy, parts are not easy to find...

Any suggestions, or any idea before I log in to RockAuto and put a starter in my cart ? ;)

THank you all in advance !

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2016, 11:08:40 PM »
Sounds like you may have a loose battery connection or cable.

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2016, 06:06:53 PM »
Sounds like starter to me .
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline Eagleearl

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2016, 10:09:50 AM »
I would vote for starter rebuild or replace too.

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
  • Ohh look, its an angry Eagle.
    • old betsy
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2016, 06:06:01 AM »
I agree with Carnuck....... Sounds like a loose connection. That's where I would start, check all connections off the battery to the solenoid then check the connection from the solenoid to the starter. Don't order a starter until your absolutely sure these connections are tight and making good contact. Dielectric grease doesn't hurt. Good luck
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline LaGuardia

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 26
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2016, 12:25:43 PM »
Hi and thank you all,
I followed the suggestions and checked/replaced all cables and connections. It seemed to work at first, they were to be replaced indeed, but alas it was not enough. A closer look to the starter motor and I found out ot was really shot: almost melted inside, it was giving all it could, poor little thing...
I found a remanufacured one at RockAuto, at a reasonable price, I'm expecting it to be delivered next monday, I'll do the swap and let you know. The worst part of it is that the Eagle is sitting outside my office and not at home, where she would be safer... I'll cross my fingers and hope nobody tries to mess with her while she's there...

----------------------------------- EDIT --------------------------------------------------

OK, everything's fine !
Ordered the reman starter on Friday, FedEx at my door on Tuesday (I love FedEx, they really deliver!), replaced the starter and... on the road again ! The engine started at first try. Tonight the Eagle's gonna sleep safe at Home ! Thank you again for your ideas, you all were right ;)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 10:22:31 AM by LaGuardia »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk