News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 19, 2024, 05:29:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: setting timing  (Read 2474 times)

Offline rommel1940

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
setting timing
« on: December 25, 2015, 02:03:13 PM »
What is the recommended spark degree on a stock 84 amc eagle, and also will the big cap upgrade with new h.o coil benefit from a different spark degree? Car is running pretty good at the moment but I did the timing by ear and I got a new timing light for Christmas so I want to make it perfect . Thanks
1984 Eagle Limited

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: setting timing
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 12:57:09 AM »
It really depends on the fuel and altitude as well as engine condition. Higher altitude (3000ft+ I think) likes more advance to make power without pinging because not as much air gets into the motor.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 03:19:57 PM »
I set my timing at 8 degree's up. Sometimes I still get a little ping when I stomp on it.
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 01:25:48 AM »
The NGK 2288 plugs are colder by 2 ranges from the stock ones so they draw heat out of the combustion chamber to make less ping.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk