News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 07:55:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Battery light on without key?  (Read 3218 times)

Offline BuckeyeEagle

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
Battery light on without key?
« on: September 27, 2015, 08:35:27 AM »
Sorry if this has been asked/answered elsewhere - I couldn't find it posted, but this was a tough phrase to search for. When I picked up my '82 wagon this past Friday night, I put a new battery in just to drive it up on the trailer (PO had said the alternator was bad). I disconnected the battery for the trip home then reconnected to back it off the trailer. I noticed that the battery light came on even though the key was not in the ignition. In my excitement to pick it up I missed this initially.

I found some parts of the TSM online and it sounds like this indicates an alternator problem, which I was planning for, but is there anything else to keep an eye out for as I get into it? Does the battery light coming and staying on without the key point to any other electrical components/problems to look for? I'd hate to get the alternator done then realize I missed something else.

Thanks! 

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
Re: Battery light on without key?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 11:54:25 AM »
Until you have the alternator tested, its difficult to determine if that is the only problem to suspect. I would either take the car to an auto parts store that can test the alternator in the car or pull it and bring the alternator to them. There also may be an electrical rebuilder in your area that specializes in alternator, generator, and electric motor rebuilding. They can be more helpful than the auto parts store personnel when it comes to figuring out a problem.

I would also look into the starter solenoid wiring to make sure a lead has not been placed on a wrong post, and the ignition switch under the dash on the top of the steering column may also be a place to check for miswiring or a bad switch. Finally, if there is any aftermarket audio equipment, lighting, or an alarm/kill switch installed, there may be a power lead that has been miswired somehow.

It is most likely the diodes in the alternator have failed and are allowing current to flow and drain the battery while the ignition is off. You'll know after getting the alternator tested.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline BuckeyeEagle

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 11:56:21 AM »
Thanks! Appreciate the info.  There is an aftermarket stereo, so that's a place to check.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 04:13:32 PM »
I had that issue a few years back and it was a bad diode in the alternator.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk