News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 09:45:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: new to eagles. unknown relays!?  (Read 5008 times)

Offline 88formula

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
new to eagles. unknown relays!?
« on: September 18, 2015, 01:28:43 PM »
While diagnosing my no power to the ecm I found all these relays under the hood and I have no clue what they are for... any help would be appreciated.

And what is this guy for? There's a little circuit board inside it?!

More questions!!!! Does anyone have a picture of where the factory foot lamps are supposed to go in the interior? Mine are just laying on the ground.. 

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
Re: new to eagles. unknown relays!?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 01:45:05 PM »
The box with the circuit board is the diode trio.  That tells the sol-vac to kick in when the rear defrost, A/C or headlight are on.  The footwell lights normally mount to the rear of the package tray.  I've only seen one mounting hole in an SX/4 on the drivers side.  I drilled one for the passenger side.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 01:53:00 PM »
Picture # 3, I have seen the fog light relay mounted in that location before, but can't remember if there might something else that also gets mounted in that vicinity.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline 88formula

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 03:25:52 PM »
Awesome! !! I was wondering where that diode pack was located! And the factory fog lights don't work ether, now I got a place to start diagnosis!

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 03:42:34 PM »
The factory fog lights (that I've owned, anyway) have all had issues with corroded or burned contacts where the bulbs seat.  They use H2 bulbs.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline Sandeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • 86 sedan 84 wagon
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 04:23:20 PM »
Isn't the diode trio usually in the alternator?

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 05:45:26 PM »
hi, in picture  #1 the small square one is the manifold heater relay, and the larger rectangular one is the horn relay. gz

Offline 88formula

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 10:11:32 PM »
Sweet!! I'm going to unplug them and test to verify.

I know what your thinking about in the alternator,  there are 3 sets of 3 diodes in the alternator. The diode treo that were talking about on the fire wall is to boost idle when headlights are turned on, or the rear defroster, or the a/c compressor is engaged.

Offline Sandeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • 86 sedan 84 wagon
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 03:58:35 PM »
Ok,  you need to tap the gas to get that to engadge. I turned the idle down then turned stuff on and that's why the idle went back up till I turned stuff off.  Thanks

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 02:14:29 AM »
Sweet!! I'm going to unplug them and test to verify.

I know what your thinking about in the alternator,  there are 3 sets of 3 diodes in the alternator. The diode treo that were talking about on the fire wall is to boost idle when headlights are turned on, or the rear defroster, or the a/c compressor is engaged.

2 sets of 3 diodes in each alternator. (Delco ones) 3 windings in the alt with each stator set having a positive and negative diode to cut the other half of the Alternating current the alternator makes to turn it into Direct current, "rectifying" it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyhzpFqXwdA
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk