News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:08:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: YES! NEW CARB  (Read 7821 times)

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
YES! NEW CARB
« on: September 13, 2015, 07:09:38 PM »
I finally did myself and my 85 Eagle a FAVOR! I bought a brand spanking new carb with stepper motor from ebay from a guy in Florida. It was a simple bolt on. I double checked everything. The only thing that was way advanced was the choke. It runs BETTER than the day it did out of the factory. That engine doesn't even shimmy, rock, just glass smooth! AH! No run-on, when turning off, no more chugging, no more Erratic engine idle. I had my butt up in the air so much out of that hood, trying to revive the 30 year old carb. BRAND NEW, I'm in awe! Next time I EVER buy another carb car, I'm just replacing with new RIGHT Away! NOW, I LOVE Driving My Eagle!!
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: YES! NEW CARB
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 08:05:04 PM »
Great news, not only that the Eagle is running so well, but for your neighbors that don't have to see your posterior sticking out from under the hood.

I didn't realize you could get new replacement Carter carbs, so that is great to know!!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 08:38:14 PM »
Great news! Nothing like replacing a part and it makes a big positive difference, makes you feel good about the money and effort to replace it!

Also makes you wonder why you didn't do it a long time ago....
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 12:10:54 AM »
Excellent!  We're all living vicariously through you, dude...

It's mostly the upgrade horror stories that make it on to this site, since those are the people who are looking for help. 

So it's nice to read about someone who made an upgrade, fired her up, and saw a big improvement right away,  That's living the dream...

JB
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

82_wagon

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 01:53:55 PM »
Autozone sells Carter's with and with computer feed back I considered going that route but I'm currently thing weber 32/36 for a cj(258)

Offline JayRamb

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 03:43:05 PM »
Autozone sells Carter's with and with computer feed back I considered going that route but I'm currently thing weber 32/36 for a cj(258)

I got my Carb, NEW, not rebuilt, on ebay for less than $200. When you get the Carter, check the float clearance, the two steel balls, the top end accel. and vacuum pumps, check to make sure the choke is set to the 1st notch rich.
Jayson H.

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 05:34:39 PM »
Found a couple sellers on eBay selling new carters...which one did you get if you don't mind me asking?
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline JayRamb

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 09:08:41 PM »
Found a couple sellers on eBay selling new carters...which one did you get if you don't mind me asking?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160-NEW-CARBURETOR-TYPE-CARTER-C2BBD-WITH-ELECTRIC-FEEDBACK-VALVE-2-BARREL-/140824480265?hash=item20c9cb0a09:g:PIAAAMXQeW5TYBfj&vxp=mtr

This is the same one I bought. Different seller, but this seller is based in US.  If you buy, check float lever, check for the big ball and little ball, check top end accel. adjustments, etc. I didn't and should've. I had problems. Now, they are solved. ALSO, check that little round air cleaner cover near the lid, and make sure that is open when the car is running. Mine was shot and I was have idle issues. I took it off and I just let the air breath through the vacuum line. MUCH better gas mileage too.
Jayson H.

Offline OverKnight

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 05:38:14 PM »
I know this is an old topic, but are these real Carter carburetors, or are they off-shore knock-offs like the 2150's that Gronk is selling?  Joe (EagleJoe93) and I are just about ready to give up on the 2150 we bought from Gronk, and are considering returning to the Carter.
"I shall pass through this world but once.  Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 09:24:22 PM »
Carter was always good when properly tuned, and not short of 40 years old.  People seeking better always out think an engineer that did his testing.

Manitowoc WI

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 09:57:34 PM »
hi, don't know 100%, but 99% sure they are chinese castings, since Carter has been out of business for over 20, (30?) years. This is not a bad thing in and off itself, but as usual, caveat emptor. The Carter BBD is, believe it or not, a very popular carb, a LOT of Mopars used them, and, as the AMC version, are widely available on ebay. The line to look for is, "US Stock", or, "shipped from US". Occasionally you will find a genuine Carter on ebay, either rebuilt or NOS, and the prices reflect that. Personally, on my "no expense spared", 84 Eagle restification, I challenged myself, and went with the original Carter BBD that came with the car, rebuilt/overhauled of course, (twice!). Took me about a year, educating myself, chasing down all these sensors (8 of them!, six of which are still available new. if you know what to ask for, and where to look.) But, this Eagle now ROCKS!
If your car already has the ECM Test bypass, as I believe it does, you do not need the electronic BBD. Look for a 77-80 NON electronic BBD, came on Hornets, Concords, Spirits, etc, even the 80 Eagle, and If I recall, you already have a DUI, right? You are halfway there. I am sorry you are not having any luck with the 2150. I ran one for over 16 years on Eagle #1, with not a SINGLE problem, still have it, though it needs shaft rebushed now. Once I set it in 1999, I NEVER TOUCHED IT AGAIN!. it was that good, but this was a genuine Motorcraft I pulled off an AMC 304 years ago and rebuilt myself, these carbs are still available, though getting worn out now, and may be an option for you. I have about 4 cores in my shed, repeat, CORES, and you are welcome to one if you want, they all need to be torn down and rebuilt, and i make no guarantees, but, again, you are welcome to one if you want, just give me a couple of bucks for shipping. Hey, beat THAT price!
Again, I am a fan of the BBD, they are NOT a problematic carb, they just need someone that understands them, and isn't willy-nilly pulling stuff off to "improve" performance/aesthetics, etc.
The Carter BBD, and it's 1bbl cousin, the YF, were the LAST line of carbs used by the major American car companies, all the way to 1992, and maybe even a little later in the Ford F150/300cid six. So, they HAD to be ok on some level!
I am also a fan of the 2150, so, I am a happy man!
good luck, gz

Offline OverKnight

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 11:13:37 PM »
Thank you, amcFool1.  We're rebuilding the 2150 from Gronk.  After cleaning off the exterior, we disassembled it and gave everything a soak in Berryman's Chem-Dip, followed by ultrasonic cleaning with SimpleGreen.  I also shot Gunk carburetor cleaner through all orifices between the Chem-Dip and ultrasonic.  When we began reassembly, I one on the brass air bleed jets in the booster venturi assembly suddenly fell out.  Further inspection revealed the other one was missing.  It wasn't in the Chem-Dip basket nor in the ultrasonic cleaner.  Could it have come out while the engine was running?  Possibly, but I don't think it would have run at all with this small part missing.  I looked for a replacement assembly, but since this carburetor has been discontinued for quite a while, I could not find any.  I also found one of the small inner brass tubes that supply fuel to this assembly was sticking out farther than the other.  I was able to press this in farther, but which was correct?  I don't think the air bleed jets and the supply tubes are supposed to be removable from the booster venturi assembly.  For me, all of this confirms the lower quality of the 2150's from Gronk.  Maybe they're better now, or maybe we just got a bad one.

We may take you up on your offer of a core; would these have a decent booster venturi assembly?  There's a genuine rebuilt 2150 on ebay that we might get, and we're also thinking of rebuilding the Carter.
"I shall pass through this world but once.  Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 01:33:04 PM »
You may want to check with this seller on eBay, they seem to have quite a few parts for the 2150.  I just ordered an accelerator pump diaphragm from them.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/uscarburetors?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline OverKnight

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 10:11:17 PM »
Thanks, vangremlin.  I sent them a message, asking if they had any booster venturi assemblies for a 1.08 Motorcraft 2150 - awaiting their response.
- Stephen Grellet

Offline OverKnight

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 08:23:45 PM »
Is it possible to hijack a year-old thread?  Didn't mean to; apologies offered if warranted.

I'll tell ya, I solve more problems in my sleep... it occurred to me last night that the intake manifold heater, with those aluminum fingers sticking up, would likely catch the brass air bleed jet IF it fell out while the engine was running.  So this evening I looked down into the intake manifold... and there it was!  I'm not sure which end goes in first; one end is slightly tapered, and since both fell out, I have no idea if the tapered or straight end is inserted into the booster venturi assembly.  Any opinions?
- Stephen Grellet

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk