News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:43:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1985 Eagle Sedan Fleet model project  (Read 30429 times)

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
Re: 1985 Eagle Sedan Fleet model project
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2016, 01:07:16 AM »
 Hi, yeah, i put in the pre 81 short oil level dipstick into my new 84 258 as well, just 'cause the looong one it originally came with was badly corroded, I think it gave me an extra 5 HP ! :) Piece is actually pretty hard to find. the tube, not the dipstick. Finally found a vendor wayyyy out west, as in Washington state, who deals mostly in FSJ parts. anyway, good luck y'all! gz

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2016, 11:30:20 AM »
Its ready to roll!  Took it out on its first drive yesterday. Shifts great, runs great, good and smooth on the highway, and loud as heck. Still some smoke coming out of the tail pipe when started and when the pedal is hit hard. Motor still needs some breaking in and there is probably some assembly lube in the oil, plus the break in additive. Ill worry about that after 1000 miles.
Everything is rebuilt and upgraded. Added up all my receipts over the last 2 years and ohhhhh man, was not expecting that. Oh well. New car.

Untitled by T A, on Flickr

I have the grill back on, was just too eager to get it out of the garage yesterday.
Heading up to MI for the 4th with some 70s boogie vans. Convoying with CB radios. Ill have some adventure photos to show soon.

Also if anyone has any leads on differentials other then the 2.35 gearing located in the Midwest Im all ears. Hate the current gearing, love everything else.

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2016, 02:11:47 PM »
looks good, congrats on a cool Eagle, gz

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2016, 04:51:45 PM »
Nice job, good looking eagle!

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2016, 05:41:00 PM »
Congrats on getting it moving again!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2016, 11:25:14 AM »

Picked up a canoe. Looks at home on the top of the Eagle.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2016, 05:52:46 PM »
I have a soft spot for sedans. Nice looker as well.

Manitowoc WI

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2016, 05:53:02 PM »

Picked up a canoe. Looks at home on the top of the Eagle.

An amphibious Eagle!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2016, 05:07:52 PM »
Thats the plan. That picture is the Eagle in it's "land mode". For "water mode" the plan is to just flip it over.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2016, 12:10:02 AM »
Maybe a few air bags on the sides for good measure

Manitowoc WI

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2016, 06:52:58 PM »
Finally got some new differentials in 3.31 and a surprise to me when I picked up they were not the disconnect. Which Im happy about. I know you can lock them out but it would bother me knowing its there.

He says they are out of this car.

Before he modified it for the demo derby.
They are from the southwest and once I started to clean the dirt off I found them to be completely rust free.   
Gears look good on the inside. I'm going to just do a rebuild and call it good. I wont replace the actual gears.

On the engine:
After about 1500 miles on the rebuild motor its still burning quite a bit of oil. Not sure if its the "molly" rings that are still not broken in or if its a issue with the valve seals. So I pulled the head back off and brought it back into them to rebuild and check out. Kinda :censored: I had to do that. No word back yet but I really hope its not the pistons. I really dont want to pull that our again.

On the Carb:
Im done with that crap.
had the 2100 from Gronk but thay are not true motorcrafts just Chinese carbs and I had a few issues.
To try and solve I bought 2 more carbs from AMC jeep and tried to Frankenstein another together.
never got it in but put the better looking 1.08 venture from the real thing to the chinese carb in there now. Just a much better cast part.
Floods like crazy after 2 min of running. I think its got to be something to do with my float. I swapped to brass.

Anyway Im sick of dealing with it so the car sits for the winter until I save enough to rebuild those diffs and buy a fuel injection kit.
Wish me luck, I just want a eagle I can drive from here to Alaska if I want to. Done messing with this thing haha.

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2016, 12:19:06 AM »
I have just did the 4.3 chevy fuel injection on my SX4 so far no issues after about 3 weeks of operation.
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2016, 10:37:41 AM »
Sorry - hit the wrong key before completing & this may have been sent twice. There's a red line appearing under these words & I can't get rid of it.  I live in a suburb of Chicago but am not the one who sold you the car. Either that car was in better shape than you thought or you've done alot of nice work - I think the latter. You've given me some encouragement. I've got to drop a transfer case & have been dreading it for the physical reasons of getting it back in. I see we share the same motorcycle jack so that should help.
1976 gremlin
pair of 1983 SX4's sports
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2016, 07:23:04 PM »
I think Im going to go for one of the ebay kits. A little pricey but Its all new, ready to set up, and I dont have to run around junk yards tracking stuff down.

AMC1  I think it was a little of both. The body is in pretty good shape but I had to do some patching here and there after a more then a few midwest winters.
Keep plugging away on that eagle. Im lucky enough to have a garage and little need for a car here in the city so I can really tear into stuff and take my time.

If your in the area join the "Chicago Chapter". Nice to know of other eagles in the area.

Here is BeaversEagle and mine. a few weeks ago.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 07:29:05 PM by TEagle85 »

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2016, 11:59:41 AM »
I didn't know there is a Chicago chapter - I live in Skokie only a couple of miles from the border. Tell me more about it. BTW I pulled the transfer case yesterday - first time for me. I won't go into all of it but I can see my problem & will fix it.
1976 gremlin
pair of 1983 SX4's sports
1946 Cushman step-thru

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk