News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:22:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AC Thermostat Part # & Testing  (Read 9724 times)

Offline BluEagle86

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
AC Thermostat Part # & Testing
« on: July 20, 2015, 03:12:02 PM »
Working on an 86 Model 30 wagon with the 258 I6 and factory air.  Have a good charge of freon and the pressure valve is functioning yet the compressor cycles on & off and the temp only gets down to 60 degrees.  I suspect the AC Temp Thermostat behind the glovebox.  (Electric switch with capilary tube into the evap)

I plan to bypass it to temporarily test if it is at fault - it makes the "click" when it turns on/off the compressor and seems stuck at 60 degrees since it works continuously until the air gets to that temp.   I can't seem to find it in the parts book listing for factory air to get the part #.  The add-on air is listed P/N T1054062 - is it the same on the factory system?  Is there a modern replacement?  Any tips/tricks with testing or repairing it would be appreciated.

Another member posted this photo of the AC Thermostat, not sure if it will work here:

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
Re: AC Thermostat Part # & Testing
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 03:45:47 PM »
I replaced mine.  I found no modern equivalent and got lucky with a NOS unit that looked very familiar on eBay.  I had the seller measure the length of the capillary tube and it just reached.  I tested mine by touching the end of the tube to an ice cube.  It would quickly click off.  When removed from the ice it would click/engage a few seconds later.  The problem with mine (and probably yours), is the shaft the lever connects to had stripped out/seized internally.  It's a bad design.  The replacement switch I bought is much better.

Info on part I used to replace the original:

PART # 369-3080   GRP# 13.477

The bad one I removed:  (1986 Eagle, Factory AC)

« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 03:59:27 PM by macdude443 »
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 05:51:05 PM »
I'll  be watching your progress. Mine's doing exactly the same thing. Stays at 60 degrees and compressor cycles on and off.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 11:26:41 PM »
Jump the wires across the thermostat and see if it still cycles on/off. If it does, its not the thermostat.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline Dubv

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 07:40:03 PM »
Piggybacking on this post...I ordered an A/C Thermostat that was advertised as being for an '84-'87 Eagle on ebay.  It came in an NOS AMC/Renault box...but it looks nothing like the pictures you all have posted and I'm wondering if I got the wrong thing.  I have an '84 Eagle...the part that arrived is a small plastic black module with a pin connector on it..not the spade connections like in the picture and there's no lever or lead coming off of it...
I haven't looked for the old one in the car yet..you all mentioned its behind the glovebox, how is it accessed?

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 12:48:41 AM »
Regarding the part itself, you may have got the "American Air" version of the thermostat (for the dealer add-on A/C systems).   The correct AMC part number for "factory air" version I think one you want is J3728088.    What part number is the one you got??   The "American Air" version is T1054062.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 09:41:39 AM »
hi, 60 degrees seems pretty cool to me. How cold is the AC supposed to get? I will be fixing mine shortly. thanks, gz

Offline Dubv

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 09:57:41 AM »
The part number is listed as 8956001959. Its in an AMC box and has an AMC parts order sheet stapled to it, but I'm thinking maybe its for an Alliance, or a Jeep...and not the Eagle and the ebay seller just mis-advertised it?

Offline AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 01:08:47 PM »
I checked my Jeep/Alliance/Encore parts books, and couldn't find it.   If I'm remembering my dealer days right, the numbers starting with "89" were for the Frenchie-based Renault models sold over here, like LeCar, Fuego, 18i, etc.    Afraid I don't have parts books for those.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline Dubv

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 01:54:40 PM »
Gotcha-Thanks for checking.  I'm hoping he'll take a return.  I've ordered one of the correct ones now.  How do you get access to where its mounted?

Offline AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 04:15:01 PM »
According to the manual, you have to gut the center section of the dash (remove the package tray, center dash pod, radio, and center air duct) for access.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 10:41:23 AM »
hi, 60 degrees seems pretty cool to me. How cold is the AC supposed to get? I will be fixing mine shortly. thanks, gz

Air temperature from the A/C duct in the center of the dash should be around 45 degrees in a properly operating A/C. The coil temperature, which is what the thermostat senses, ideally should be just above freezing.

From an engineering viewpoint, the thermostat is there to keep condensation from freezing on the coil and restricting airflow across the coil. The adjustment is to allow the driver to adjust the temperature to comfort. Many Eagle owners who were in desert climates jumped the switch.

Piggybacking on this post...I ordered an A/C Thermostat that was advertised as being for an '84-'87 Eagle on ebay.  It came in an NOS AMC/Renault box...but it looks nothing like the pictures you all have posted and I'm wondering if I got the wrong thing.  I have an '84 Eagle...the part that arrived is a small plastic black module with a pin connector on it..not the spade connections like in the picture and there's no lever or lead coming off of it...
I haven't looked for the old one in the car yet..you all mentioned its behind the glovebox, how is it accessed?
If you're going to jumper the switch the only parts you need to remove are the glove box door and the glove box lining inside the door. You can then get to the connection on the switch body and insert your jumper.

I jumpered mine and left it that way. The only down side to this solution is that the driver must occasionally shut off A/C to allow ice on the coil to melt. How often you need to shut it off is dependent on relative humidity and temperature. You will know the coil has frozen up by decreased air flow from the A/C duct in the center of the dash. It is important when it freezes up that you shut it off to avoid damaging the A/C system. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 10:04:08 AM »
I pulled the glove box door and inner lining as well as the radio pod and radio so I could get some light in there.  I removed the thermostat using the radio hole and used the glove box access to help fish the capillary tube into the evaporator.  NOTE:  There is a small fastener holding the capillary tube to the duct where it enters the evaporator housing.  Mine was covered with foam.

Don't kink or bend that tube too much.  If it cracks I'd imagine you're SOL.

With my system recently charged with R12 the shop found my A/C temp to be 39* at the center vents.  This was on an 85 degree day.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 12:20:27 PM »

With my system recently charged with R12 the shop found my A/C temp to be 39* at the center vents.  This was on an 85 degree day.

You're doing well to get 39* out of your A/C.

You're also doing well to find R-12. That stuff has been listed by the EPA as an ozone-depleting substance. It's manufacture was banned in the mid-1990s by presidential executive order. What's available now is reclaimed/NOS and is very expensive. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015, 02:32:27 PM »

You're doing well to get 39* out of your A/C.

You're also doing well to find R-12. That stuff has been listed by the EPA as an ozone-depleting substance. It's manufacture was banned in the mid-1990s by presidential executive order. What's available now is reclaimed/NOS and is very expensive. :eagle:

I didn't want to muck around with an R134a conversion if I didn't have to.  I got VERY lucky and found a service station ten minutes away that still had their R12 container.  They had an issue with their gauges so they charged it using the sight glass.  They said they were happy to get rid of it as no one ever requested it anymore and only charged me $40 in labor!  Talk about lucky!
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk