News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:04:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Idles great, starts everytime, but dies or stalls  (Read 2199 times)

Baby Eagle

Idles great, starts everytime, but dies or stalls
« on: March 19, 2015, 11:16:19 PM »
My eagle automatic has been runing fine all winter great in the snow,
I was concerned about the valve cover gasget, as she was leakin oil onto the intake and exhaust manifoild.
Ken is in a home and out of it most of the time.

I brought the Eagle to Pepboys and there is a Chevy guy that understands Carb, cars real well.
The only thing to be done was "replace or change the valve cover gasget.

Two pumps on the gas pedal on the coldest days or night car always starts, warm her up and go.
No idle problems no in gear problems, no stalling problems period!

Brain calls me up tonight and tells me the Eagle gasget has been changed, no oil leaks, BUT thouh it idles fine starts right up like before.
When one puts in gear or any strss on engine she stalls.
I had every Vacume tube replaced, right off, checked choke its fine also that door inside the airfilter housing.
Got despreate and had vacum hoses that connect to airfilter housing plugged up and took off every part of air cleaner houseing so we could see.
Car starts right up gets warm one can kick it down to its normal 800rpm idle and it will run just fine all the time.
If one depresses the pedal or gas under any stress it stalls, you get it started in seconds again so its not a idle problem, and no adjustments were made to the carb, in fact brain has looked over the stepper motor the connectionion in the carb no leaks gas is getting in, he says carb and everything around it is running fine doing its job.

Question whole  shop has is why won't it stay running as did when brought it in?
I do not have Ken to Ask!

But I remember on one of our other eagles automatic as this is, he told me about a grounding problem with the coil lead after he changed the valve cover?? I remember nothing else except that eagle idled fine but when in gear it would stall and ken saying its a ground problem???????????/

What was he talking about, what ground, the tecks look at me as if I have two heads, infact they are so sure its the carb they are going to order a new one in morning at 10am est!
Sort of urgent need the answer if anybody knows??????????????/////
Paula

Offline IRON HORSE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 47
Re: Idles great, starts everytime, but dies or stalls
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 03:48:00 PM »
Hello Baby Eagle,

I am no expert, but I would check if the accelerator pump is working . . do this by removing the air cleaner cover, and with the engine OFF - hold the choke plate open so you can look down the carb throat - push on the gas pedal or move the linkage.  You should see gas squirt out of two nozzles when you push on the gas pedal or move the linkage. Don't repeat this too many times if you do see gas squirt out or you'll flood the engine when you try to start it. If you do see gas squirt out then the accel pump is OK.
          I was just reading a similar post on this site, I think that problem turned out to be the stepper on the carb -  The post is under: The Mighty 258  > Fuel System -  then about  six posts down on the first page you will see:  " stalls when put in gear " started by: jsherrod   -   problem sounds similar to the one you are having .. good luck.

Regards, Iron Horse :o
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 04:00:33 PM by IRON HORSE »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk