News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 09:40:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Solid axle swap info  (Read 18000 times)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Solid axle swap info
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2015, 12:34:08 AM »
If anyone is close to Spokane, WA and looking for axles, a friend of mine is parting a newer XJ with non-vac front and 8.25 rear with probably 3.55 gears (3.73 is the other option, but this didn't have the tow package)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2015, 05:34:26 AM »
With an xj axle you will probobly end up buying a jeep hi steer kit for it.  You might also want a dropped pitman arm.

the histeer locates the passenger side above the leaf spring if the axle is below the spring. The dropped pit arm is just an idea for once it is done to try and lay the linkage flat again.

Manitowoc WI

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2015, 10:28:15 AM »
Does the steering drag link from the XJ work in the Eagle. I see a couple problems right off the bat. The chassis width on the eagle is 33" the inside width between the springs on the xj axle is 31".

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2015, 03:13:19 PM »
Drag link works since the axle stays the same size. Spring pads/perch can move in. However than your on the pumpkin housing.

Manitowoc WI

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2015, 06:14:45 PM »
I located a XJ axle today from a 93' High pinion 3.55 gears non  disconnect. I can build anything i need but the less fab i need to do the faster old harry runs once more.

Does anyone know if a hornet engine cross member will bolt into the eagle chassis and locate the engine properly without getting in the way of the  axle? I'm fairly  certain the the eagle cross member is not going to work out with new axle.
You may still have to modify a Hornet crossmember. Having the fixture made it easy for me to do the conversions I did.  Everything is at workbench height, and no welding upside-down.  On one I fabbed a completely new crossmember out of square tube, the other I just cut down the stock crossmember to miss all the suspension/steering parts.
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2015, 07:12:32 PM »
It's easier to mod the Eagle crossbar to take the V8. oil pan needs modding too. Motor is offset to RH side a few inches to clear driveshaft on LH side. You could use a 6 cyl Hornet crossbar and get the aftermarket weld in mounts from Bulltear.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2015, 08:11:15 PM »
Sorry Jim, but I don't see any mention of a V8 swap in this thread. I know Paul, aka Strike Eagle, kept the stock crossmember when he did his SAS. But he may have used a low pinion D30.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2015, 10:38:44 PM »
I wonder where that thought came from?  Guess I confused the OP with someone else (I even checked the other posts)

I think (we know how much trouble THAT can cause!) I would just remove the OEM front diff, lower control arms and all other non-needed front suspension parts from the frame and engine crossbar. If you move the engine to center, there probably won't be enough room for a driveshaft in front. You will likely (not saying 100% without trying it) be able to use a regular Jeep 6 oil pan which holds 1 more quart. Grand Cherokee steering arm is like a drop arm to the Eagle (we used one when we put a 2" spacer between engine crossbar and frame in my first Eagle lift attempt back in @'92)

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2015, 03:03:39 AM »
When I had looked at the cross member that is there it looked as if the axle wouldn't clear it very well, but if it's been done before I guess I can probably make it work. If nothing else a sturdy piece of 2" pipe with a dip in it to clear the oil pan and keep the side to side location could be designed into the cradle for the motor with a little creativity. So far the truck hoist we made out of the stuff is doing a phenomenal job and has allowed us (Dad and I) to make short work of things that we would have struggled with or passed on in the past.

I'm still working on the Bronco for my youngest daughter currently so once it gets to drive itself around I can focus on the
Eagle SAS.   
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 08:20:57 PM by huggyb1972 »

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2015, 09:12:49 PM »
okay I finally stumbled upon the build thread from rollguy and mick I think it was. If my eyes don't deceive me the engine crossmember is gone completely on micks and rollguy just made a totally new crossmember to support the engine.

I really am leaning towards leafs at this point although I have a set of radius arms from a Bronco that would make this work pretty well. If the guys who have done the leaf swap don't me asking, what is the leaf spring specs you used for the front? I have been looking at a stock YJ (87' wrangler) front leaf spring to start with my problem is I don't have one near so I really can't know very well the ride height before this stuff is all together and sitting on it.

So right now the Eagle just sits in the driveway waiting for its axle to be installed :-[

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk